Talk

Advanced search

aibu to give the dentist a wee phone call?

(28 Posts)
sltorres9 Wed 28-Oct-15 04:01:21

I had my adult molar removed on Monday, since then I've been in constant throbbing pain. Feels like its still being pulled about. My mouth is swollen, I can barely make my mouth form an 'o' shape and now I've woken up yet again in pain, with a funny Taste in my mouth. Tastes like quavers hmm should I phone the dentist? I don't want to waste their time and its a 40 minute walk plus I have nobody to look after my lo if I needed to go in? Just so paranoid about it being an infection or something

Doublebubblebubble Wed 28-Oct-15 04:07:57

If you are worried give your dentist a call it cant hurt... Or see your GP. I'm not a medical professional but it sounds like it could be an infection.

Hygge Wed 28-Oct-15 04:08:42

I would call first thing.

It's worth getting checked out to set your mind at rest.

I had a molar tooth removed and although the following few hours were painful, by the next morning it was just a little bit sore and uncomfortable, nothing like you describe.

I think they might be best to X-ray you or something, just to make sure everything is as it should be.

I hope you feel better soon. flowers

TheDeverellWoman Wed 28-Oct-15 04:14:27

I would call. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would also maybe start doing some dslt water rinses. Couldn't hurt.

sltorres9 Wed 28-Oct-15 04:17:00

Sorry tmi warning

There's some white parts that I can see, which I was told were part of my jaw bone, is it normal to see that so soon?
Just beside it, is what I'm assuming to be the blood clot, it's just dark red
Will call in the morning, I don't know anybody who has had teeth out so sorry for posting here

DamsonInDistress Wed 28-Oct-15 08:08:06

A cheesy 'quavers' smell suggests a serious infection, especially accompanied by that much pain. I hope you manage to get an appointment.

Haggisfish Wed 28-Oct-15 08:11:22

Poor you-it might be a bit of dry socket if you can see the bone. I needed strong painkillers for two weeks before mine got bearable, antibiotics and packed with a dressing every other day for a week. Def go back to dentist!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 28-Oct-15 08:11:55

I had wisdoms out.
The pain took a few days to go, but it got less each day.
Yes, phone them to ask for advice. I needed antibiotics for one of mine.

Susandeath Wed 28-Oct-15 08:15:24

I was also going to suggest dry socket, you need to ring the dentist. It's an infection caused by the blood clot not forming properly to protect the socket, and you'll need antibiotics and the socket packed with a dressing. It's very painful apparently!

ReggaeShark Wed 28-Oct-15 08:18:42

In the meantime wrap some frozen peas (or similar) in a tea towel and hold against your jaw. Good luck.

OhWotIsItThisTime Wed 28-Oct-15 13:15:01

Definitely call. I had a couple of wisdom teeth removed and was fine, nothing like what you're experiencing.

Petradreaming Wed 28-Oct-15 13:27:37

Dry socket is awful.... I had it once. Go back to the dentist for a check. I feel your pain

TheBunnyOfDoom Wed 28-Oct-15 13:34:52

Sounds like dry socket. Definitely ring ASAP.

ColderThanAWitchsMammaries Wed 28-Oct-15 13:35:29

Yes phone them

ColderThanAWitchsMammaries Wed 28-Oct-15 13:36:23

Lots of people took time to advise you this on your other thread though.

[Confused]

brokenmouse Wed 28-Oct-15 14:53:34

Don't see your GP! We are neither trained nor insured to sort out dental problems.

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Wed 28-Oct-15 14:57:38

mrsmorton was very helpful on a thread last week, she may spot this and hope on.

I've had all 4 wisdom teeth out and a broken molar and I would strongly suggest getting to the dentist asap. I won't armchair diagnose but that sounds grim and not routine after extraction.

ColderThanAWitchsMammaries Wed 28-Oct-15 15:17:04

Definitely could be dry socket or infection.

I am not a dentist but work for one. If you phone with these symptoms they will want to see you and check things out.

As we said on other thread. smile

Marynary Wed 28-Oct-15 16:10:13

It sounds very much like dry socket. You should definitely call the dentist straight away.
I had a molar out recently and it didn't hurt much at all after the first 24 hours despite being quite a complicated extraction.

listsandbudgets Wed 28-Oct-15 16:44:58

How are you now OP. I hope you've now managed to see the dentist and get some help.

I recently had a root canal and as I left the surgery my dentist made me promise to call if there was any pain, throbbing or any other symptom I wasn't happy with. The sooner they know the sooner they can sort it out and stop it getting worse.

sltorres9 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:19:38

Sorry I couldn't remember where I posted the first time sad my face is still very swollen, managed to have a look in my mouth and its going grey which by endless 4am Google searchers, tells me is a good thing. However I've got an awful smell and taste which the dentist said was not normal so I've got an emergency appointment tomorrow
Starting to get a sore stomach from taking so many pain killers on a empty stomach sad

sltorres9 Wed 28-Oct-15 20:21:06

Oh and the cheesy taste, has turned out more like stale blood blush

listsandbudgets Wed 28-Oct-15 20:30:39

Can you manage some soup Sltorres, its not a good idea to not eat while your body is trying to fight of this sort of infection. I do understand how painful it is to try though sad

If you've got any mouth wash it may be worth rinsing with that if for no other reason than to disguise the taste.

Really hope dentist can help tomorrow. You have my utter sympathy. I had mastitis when breastfeeding - I thought that was as miserable as it got until I broke my tooth and it got infected.

sltorres9 Thu 29-Oct-15 13:38:14

I went to the dentist she said it's an infection, no mention of dry socket though. She cleaned it out and filled it, it tastes like clove oil ?? the pain is worse than it ever has been, total throbbing! I've been managing a bit of soup and a milkshake but that's all I manage, I'm starving lol

ColderThanAWitchsMammaries Thu 29-Oct-15 13:42:03

Does sound like dry socket anyway if she packed it. Hopefully it will settle soon!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: