Talk

Advanced search

To ask for gift ideas for a nine year old boy?

(21 Posts)
Whatthefucknameisntalreadytake Tue 27-Oct-15 22:35:57

It's his birthday, I've no idea what to give. Would love to get toys/games but no idea what nine year old boys like!

wizzler Tue 27-Oct-15 22:42:45

For a cheapish present my stock idea tends to be a Venus Fly trap!
For £40 ish I would buy one of those adventure rucksack so he can make his own tent

How much do you want to spend ?

applecatchers36 Tue 27-Oct-15 22:44:53

Hex bugs, little electronic bugs that move & vibrate, you can collect & build a colony, can get from Amazon.

About £15 for 5 bugs but can get more elaborate sets.

TheSnowFairy Tue 27-Oct-15 22:46:16

Lego (prices from a tenner upwards). Or a nerf gun. If you're posting it, cinema vouchers or Amazon vouchers.

HTH

MyCarHasBrokenDownAgain Tue 27-Oct-15 22:54:16

If my son's anything to go by, Minecraft. T-shirt, rip-off priced figures, bag etc.

DingbatsFur Tue 27-Oct-15 22:56:00

Terrari if he has minecraft.
Lego (technic).
Guinness world book of records.

trixymalixy Tue 27-Oct-15 22:57:30

Nerf guns.

familygermsareok Tue 27-Oct-15 22:58:55

Mine liked the Guinness World Record book (£10) . Also loved nerf guns. His brother, who was into footballl, liked merchandise from his team shop, eg water bottle, mug, tattoo transfers, branded football (although footballs were £15-20)

nancy75 Tue 27-Oct-15 23:01:00

I saw night vision goggles by the discovery channel in tk max last week, dd who is 10 would love them, I'm sure similar age boys would too!

Cataria Tue 27-Oct-15 23:03:57

Mine loves:
Lego
Minecraft - lots of themed toys around
Terraria - as above
Amazon tokens - for kindle books
Discovery sets - like making a citrus clock, flight box, crystal growing
Chocolate
Water pistols / nerf guns (although I don't like them, the projectiles get everywhere)

FithColumnist Tue 27-Oct-15 23:16:38

Lego, obviously. Even if it isn't "cool" lego, lego will never go down badly with a 9 year old boy or even a 32 year old man. Lego is always a safe option.

Jollyphonics Tue 27-Oct-15 23:17:00

What's your budget?

Does he like football?

Lego is good but you may need to know if he's into anything specific like Star Wars etc.

Also Nerf guns. Lots of extra bullets as they always get lost.

Jollyphonics Tue 27-Oct-15 23:17:40

Chocolate fountain?

Pancakeflipper Tue 27-Oct-15 23:22:06

Rucksack?
Lego voucher
Hoodie
Tom Gates book
Decent art pencils/pastels/sketch book
If sporty running trousers/undershirt

FithColumnist Tue 27-Oct-15 23:36:17

Lego is good but you may need to know if he's into anything specific like Star Wars etc.

Having been a 9 year old boy, I will point out that no, this is ultimately not important. While I wouldn't suggest buying one of the Lego sets obviously aimed at girls, any Lego is good Lego.

Also, Jesus, don't buy the poor wee lad clothing. Particularly not a sodding undershirt! That's just horrifying. Don't be that great aunt who always buys a three-pack of pants and matching vests!

Jollyphonics Tue 27-Oct-15 23:38:16

Actually it's impossible to generalise. Looking at previous posts, my DSs would have no interest at all in some of the suggestions eg hoodie, running trousers, Tom Gates book, art materials. I'd ask his parents for hints.

Whatthefucknameisntalreadytake Wed 28-Oct-15 00:14:07

Oh thank you everyone, and apologies for disappearing. There are some really good ideas here, I particulalry like Guinness world record book anD some sort of backpack you can make a tent out of...I had no idea that was even a thing. Have already got him some Lego so looking to spend £50 or so on something to go with it.
Definitly won't get him underpants grin

trashcanjunkie Wed 28-Oct-15 00:15:16

Magic the Gathering - I cannot claim to understand it. It's cards you collect and builds 'decks' from, then play others.... hmm my dts (10) have been playing for a couple of years and my dneph (9) is just getting into it....

MardyBra Wed 28-Oct-15 00:50:05

And your Aibu is...?

Whatthefucknameisntalreadytake Wed 28-Oct-15 08:21:09

In the thread title...AIBU to ask for gift ideas??

Purplepixiedust Wed 28-Oct-15 09:28:22

Minecraft stuff
Money or gift cards (Amazon, toys r us, books)
Nerf guns
Water pistol
Science kit (smelly/explosive if poss)
Choc/sweets
Football
Game
Annual (beano, horrible histories, minions)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: