Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that my dad's family are awful

(9 Posts)
paperandpen Mon 26-Oct-15 21:09:11

It's like this: aunt come from a very ordinary background and started a fairly successful business. a few decades down the line her and her grown-up kids all think they are a cut above everyone else, especially my mum.

My mum's actually from a wealthier family but this doesn't seem to matter, they all seem to think she's a bit rough bc she's not as snooty basically.

They all put on grating fake posh accents and spend a bomb on clothes, cars etc. which is just sponging off my aunt.

[Sentence removed by MNHQ to protect posters identity]

after another wedding somebody said to me that my sister's use of cutlery"let the family down". she's an adult, this is nonsense :0

one of them also described our house as "stinking", bit much coming from smokers with dogs.

tbh i feel like i can't be myself round them sad much prefer my mum's family who are all honest people with no airs or graces. at the same time my aunt has always been good to me at christmas, birthdays etc. so i feel a bit guilty...

DoveCazzoEIlMioCaffe Mon 26-Oct-15 21:15:56

So don't be around them! Life is too short to spend it with fuckwits.

Aibuaddict Mon 26-Oct-15 21:31:31

They sound grotesque. Surely the biggest compliment your dad's family can give you is to look down on you as they sound like some parody of Hyacynth Bucket meets Matilda's birth family meets Harry Enfield's considerably richer than yaw. Don't buy into this crap. Just live your life.

Faye12345 Mon 26-Oct-15 21:43:59

Distance is needed here. Maybe one day theyll look up from counting their cash and realise no one is there looking back at them

LoTheFlatHillsOfMyHomeland Mon 26-Oct-15 22:05:15

Are they the middletons? grin

ShamelessBreadAddict Mon 26-Oct-15 22:10:23

Bahaha Lo!

Second pps. Don't buy into this shite and don't spend any time with them. Yanbu.

goddessofsmallthings Tue 27-Oct-15 06:19:17

Well spotted, Lo. Are you looking forward to receiving an assortment of last year's party pieces your prize? grin

Leelu6 Tue 27-Oct-15 09:57:06

They sound awful, OP.

Couldn't you make an effort just with your aunt? Arrange to go for afternoon tea with just you and he and your mum maybe? Call her every so often so she knows you're there?

Aussiemum78 Tue 27-Oct-15 10:10:24

I hate pretentious people.

The more pretentious usually equals more in debt and less money anyway! (I'm an accountant and that's my experienced opinion....the handful of hundred-millionaires I know are the most unpretentious bunch, it's the ones with a fraction of that who are impossible show offs).

Just act unimpressed with their wealth and avoid noticing their new car/clothes/houses....lack of attention pisses these people off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now