Talk

Advanced search

Aibu thinking that woe is me?

(22 Posts)
tattyteddy Mon 26-Oct-15 19:55:54

I'm just feeling that everything has happened all at once....

So i had dc2 last Monday by ELCS and I have a 4.5 year old dc1 who started school in September.

I've been struggling on with bf and baby has ended up losing 13% of birth weight by day 7. So he has ended up back in hospital with me there and we are following a planned feeding schedule.

If this wasn't stressful enough, have found Dc1 has nits in her hair. Have found about 6 altogether and have treated her hair.

I'm really scared of her giving them to me or the baby, who has some hair but not loads. I'm anxious of her getting to close to me, which make me feel so guilty - that i just want to cry.

I've read lots of reports that head lice can be very hard to get rid of and I'm struggling to cope with all of this at the same time.

I probably need to get a grip sad

Abidewithme3 Mon 26-Oct-15 20:02:44

Good god op of course you don't need a grip. You have just had major surgery and a baby. Be nice to yourself.

As for the nits that's an occupational hazard at school.

Me and my 8 month old dd caught them from my dss when they were at school. Just treat all of you anyway. Keep an eye on your baby and treat her if needed. The treatments are quite gentle.

Get a good nit comb and apply lots of conditioner to your kids hair as this makes the hair slippy and harder for nits to grip on.

Worked for us.

And be good to yourself. Xx

MizK Mon 26-Oct-15 20:05:19

Oh god, poor you. Nits are a pita at the best of times, let alone when you have a newborn with health stuff going on.

Can your DP sort out the nits? A nitty gritty comb alongside full marks lotion has always sorted out my DC.

I really feel for you, I imagine that you are tired and worried and could do without something else to worry about at the moment. Hope your baby is allowed to go home soon.

greenhill Mon 26-Oct-15 20:06:31

Congratulations, a lovely new baby flowers

It all sounds stressful, but if you've treated DD's nits neither you nor the baby can get them.

Sometimes hormones can make you favour one child over another, particularly if one is a vulnerable newborn that you are already concerned about.

Is there anyone that can help with your latch, check for tongue tie, make sure you are eating enough too?

Good luck

Notimefortossers Mon 26-Oct-15 20:07:05

Definitely look after yourself OP. I have been where you are regarding the bf and weight loss and honestly it was the most stressful time of my life. Everyone tells you that stress will not help your milk supply and it's true, but how exactly do you just not get stressed?!
So try not to over worry about the nit issue. Happens to them all and I'm sure she's ok now she's treated. You can let her get close to you so long as hair is always up and heads don't touch heads.
Do you have a supportive DH that could deal with the nit issue to allow you to concentrate on you and baby?

Notimefortossers Mon 26-Oct-15 20:08:44

Oh yes! Greenhill makes a good point! Do seek out your local breastfeeding councillor. Mine was a genius.

tattyteddy Mon 26-Oct-15 20:21:19

Thanks you for the replies, they've made me cry.

Baby and i are in hospital and DH is very supportive. We put hedrin on last night, however found a few more little live ones this morning.

DH has gone home with dd and said he'd do DD's hair again tonight. Once I'm home I think I'll do mine too and wash bed linen too.

I think you're right hormones are all over the place and still sore from the csection.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and glad to hair you can get rid of the nits.

tattyteddy Mon 26-Oct-15 20:25:13

Just thinking perhaps DH didnt saturate DD's hair enough last night? she has a lots of hair!

RB68 Mon 26-Oct-15 20:42:11

It sometimes takes a couple of goes - keep combing and focus behind the ears/above ears as that is a nice cosy place for eggs, the eggs need combing out and even pinching out. Keep combing and checking for a couple of weeks and you should be fine - its a baptism of fire!

tattyteddy Mon 26-Oct-15 21:54:19

Thanks, we'll keep checking and coming through.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 26-Oct-15 22:10:19

My dc have had nits countless times, I've found the chemicals pretty useless tbh. Assign the task of getting dh to comb dd's hair through with a nitty gritty comb and lots of conditioner (buy a huge vat of the really cheap stuff). If he does this every day for 2 weeks they will be gone, guaranteed. Just concentrate on yourself and the baby and let him deal with the nits.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Mon 26-Oct-15 22:12:10

Also a few drops of tea tree oil in with the conditioner will help to kill any live nits and also repel them in case other parents aren't so on the case. Hair back for school and job done.

tattyteddy Mon 26-Oct-15 22:18:12

Thanks for the replies, I'll tell DH about adding tree tea Oil to the conditioner.

tattyteddy Tue 27-Oct-15 12:14:56

Baby has managed put some weight on since yesterday so we'll get discharged today. So pleased.

DH has been working hard on DD's hair so hopefully we can sort the head lice too!

KittyVonCatsworth Tue 27-Oct-15 12:18:58

Congratulations! You're body and head has taken a hammering my lovely. Be kind to yourself. Sending lots of unMN hugs to you (as well as fuckoffnits vibes) xx

tattyteddy Tue 27-Oct-15 16:03:50

Thanks kitty x

Notimefortossers Tue 27-Oct-15 18:14:52

Well done tatty! Once they start gaining they very rarely stop! You've both got the hang of it now. You can breathe a sigh of relief

greenhill Tue 27-Oct-15 18:21:14

That's excellent news. Congratulations.

tattyteddy Tue 27-Oct-15 19:43:55

Thank you everyone. Hopefully we've got the nits under control too, fingers crossed x

FantasticRik Tue 27-Oct-15 19:52:22

YANBU OP.
DD managed to get nits when DS was a couple of weeks old. I'd also had a C-Section so really do feel your pain.

Glad to hear baby is putting on some weight - hopefully you're home with your feet up.

Take care of yourself OP. Bloody nits! brew and flowers for you.

Clare1971 Tue 27-Oct-15 20:02:34

We seemed to have nits every other week when my DCs were little. I switched the whole family to using cheap tesco tea tree shampoo and tea tree conditioner and never had them again. May be coincidence.
Something like nits can be the last straw when you're dealing with such a lot but you sound like you're doing great.

tattyteddy Wed 28-Oct-15 08:55:52

Who did you cope fantastic, did your newborn get them too? I've put a hat on him now and with the feeding schedule provided by the hospital the baby is much more settled.

When DH checked DD's hair yesterday morning, he didn't find anything alive, however, I'll do a come through this morning too.

Fantastic, I feel really guilty about trying to keep dd a little bit away from baby. Really nervous about baby getting them too x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: