Talk

Advanced search

To not sterilise/ wash my baby's toys

(50 Posts)
MissTwister Mon 26-Oct-15 18:11:45

Frankly I never knew until today that this was a thing! She is 4 months old and puts everything in her mouth but I don't sterilise or wash them regularly. How do you even sterilise soft toys!!

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Oct-15 18:14:01

I never did this but admit to soaking plastic toys in Milton fluid before loaning them out. blush

EatShitDerek Mon 26-Oct-15 18:15:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cockbollocks Mon 26-Oct-15 18:15:36

YANBU, I do give sophie the giraffe the odd wash and other similar toys.

I'm not a great example though as I don't sterilise weaning stuff either!!

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 26-Oct-15 18:23:11

Don't the soft toys reek after a while? Washing machine?

NickMarlow Mon 26-Oct-15 18:23:26

I don't even sterilise dummies or spoons! Dd is 9mo and seems to have survived.

NickMarlow Mon 26-Oct-15 18:25:48

Posted too soon - I do chuck the soft toys she sleeps with in the washing machine every so often, she sometimes sucks them falling asleep so they get pretty manky!

DramaAlpaca Mon 26-Oct-15 18:26:01

I never sterilised toys. Soft toys used to go in the washing machine if they were particularly manky, and I might run toys under the tap occasionally, but sterilising them - never.

DixieNormas Mon 26-Oct-15 18:28:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

winchester1 Mon 26-Oct-15 18:33:36

I stopped sterilising bottles at 6 months with both DC, never sterilised dummies, toys, weaning things.

We have trainined the dog that he isn't to lick their faces however much it makes them laugh, thats almost sterilising ins't it. smile

Both are alive if often a little grubby.

jimijack Mon 26-Oct-15 18:34:15

Naaa, a wipe over with a baby wipe if snot or vom is visible, otherwise no.

I have to admit to charity shop donating of soft toys. I can't abide them.waste of space, dust traps and of no use to anyone.
Misery guts here.

MamaLazarou Mon 26-Oct-15 18:41:25

YANBU. I never sterilised toys and DS is now 6 years old with a 100% attendance record at school.

Runningupthathill82 Mon 26-Oct-15 18:42:39

Sterilising toys?! Where would you even start with doing that?!
Mind boggles at thought of trying to fit a plastic garage in a microwave.
So no, never did that, didn't know it was a thing.

LBOCS2 Mon 26-Oct-15 18:44:22

Um, no. Given that DD sometimes appears eating toast when I know full well there hasn't been any bread in the house for over 24 hours, I think it may have been a little futile if I'd started.

megletthesecond Mon 26-Oct-15 18:45:12

Never did that.

Soft toys were only washed if muddy or sicked on. I used baby wipes to wipe any excess mess off of plastic toys.

Senpai Mon 26-Oct-15 18:49:54

I did a quick wash in the sink with soap and water for second hand teething toys. But that was before she was old enough to crawl where she stuck dirt, dead bugs, fuzz, and our feet in her mouth. I threw in the towel at that point. Now I only wash toys if they have noticeable dirt for aesthetic purposes.

Meandyou150 Mon 26-Oct-15 19:38:52

I buy the tommee tippee dummy and teether wipes. If there's a toy I know DS will be sucking on a lot I do give it a wipe over with one of those first but that's it

Grapejuicerocks Mon 26-Oct-15 19:46:12

I religiously did everything by the book for the first dc. The second one was dragged up. What is the point of steralising toys/spoons etc when everything but the kitchen sink, went into their mouths unsterilised?

HackerFucker22 Mon 26-Oct-15 19:54:26

Anything second hand got washed in boiling water, then sprayed with Milton but only the once when DC2 was weeny. Teething toys end up on the floor a lot so they get run under the hot tap every now and then.

HackerFucker22 Mon 26-Oct-15 19:55:13

I don't sterilise weaning stuff and never did for PFB either.

slightlyconfused85 Mon 26-Oct-15 19:56:35

I had no idea that anyone ever sterilised toys. I've never done this. DD got her bottles sterilised for 6 months and DS is undergoing the same treatment. Never sterilised weaning equipment.

MissTwister Mon 26-Oct-15 19:57:15

Oh good! Soft toys not dirty yet as she's only just started holding them and doesn't sleep with them. Will chuck in machine when they get icky!

WorkingBling Mon 26-Oct-15 19:58:59

People
Sterilise weaning things?! Why? I simply can't get my head around that.

MockTheWeek Mon 26-Oct-15 20:02:52

Wouldn't even cross my mind. A quick wipe when noticeably dirty is fine with me. I sterilise bottles and the odd dummy if I remember but that's it. Soft toys in the washing machine when required.

And agree with PP about DD finding toast and other old food at the bottom of her toy basket blush

museumum Mon 26-Oct-15 20:04:36

I washed those Lamaze things cause they started to whiff a bit

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: