Talk

Advanced search

To use the return part of my ticket twice as it wasn't stamped

(25 Posts)
Floflomo Mon 26-Oct-15 15:10:49

Yesterday my return ticket wasn't stamped so its still valid for a few more weeks. Aibu to plan to use it again? Legally does it count as not used if not stamped?

whois Mon 26-Oct-15 15:13:25

Like, officially and morally? No you shouldn't use it.

Would I? Yes. And I used to quite often when doing a London-North train journey every week I would frequently travel on an u stamped return portion two or even three times.

OurBlanche Mon 26-Oct-15 15:13:39

Ethically, no, don't do it.

Financially, go for it, if you are sure there is nothing on it that will get you into trouble.

I often find my ethics and morals are easily bought smile

whois Mon 26-Oct-15 15:14:27

Try not to put it into a ticket barrier on your exit tho or it will be swallowed - walk thru the suitcase wide one showing your ticket instead :-)

Floflomo Mon 26-Oct-15 15:15:39

Thanks, well ethically I wouldn't make the trip otherwise and the train will still go. They will be better off as I'll buy a tea from them. If its totally full I will give up my seat and stand. Ethically I'm OK with that blush

Cheby Mon 26-Oct-15 15:21:54

I would do it. In fact I have done it in my younger, less financially comfortable days. As you said, the train will run anyway. And train tickets are extortionate, and Virgin et al have had thousands from me every year for the last decade. So my conscience is salved!

thelittleredhen Mon 26-Oct-15 15:24:08

I do it all of the time.
Isn't it just what you do?

thecapitalsunited Mon 26-Oct-15 15:26:50

Legally it does count as used. The train company couldn't tell though unless they dug up cctv of you using it twice without paying for a second ticket.

I personally wouldn't do this even if I could. And I can't because the train company won't sell anything but day returns from my station to London because of people doing precisely this. I do use trains quite a bit and as a season ticket holder I do get annoyed at people fare dodging. Not just because of the implications to everyone else fare come the annual fare review but because if passenger numbers aren't recorded properly the government won't let the train company buy any more trains so there aren't enough seats.

MascaraAndConverse Mon 26-Oct-15 15:32:16

Oh just use it OP. smile I've done this with bus tickets in the past.

Whenever I buy a day ticket and I no longer need it I don't just throw it in the bin, I give it to a stranger to make some use out of it. In doing so I cost the bus company money but do I care? Nope!

EcclefechanTart Mon 26-Oct-15 15:45:59

shock And people wonder why train fares are going up and up!

FeelingSoBlue Mon 26-Oct-15 15:52:33

I was wrongly charged £1000's of pounds in travel to school when I was aged 14-18 and can't get a refund now because I didn't keep every single ticket ... they owe me so I'm passing the refund on to you ... have fun xD

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 26-Oct-15 15:54:27

Legally, if you get caught, you will be fined or prosecuted. Not stamping the ticket is irrelevant, it was valid for one return trip which has already been made, and you'd get nowhere on the defence that you thought you could use it again.

Realistically, they'd be unlikely to spot the mistake. The ticket barriers could tell them how many times the ticket had gone through but they'd have to look at the data and most would just wave you through. They are unlikely to randomly review CCTV and find you.

Financially, you'll either save yourself the cost of another ticket or cost yourself the cost of the fine. You won't know which until you've done it, but it's likely to be the former.

Ethically....it's your conscience. The train will go anyway, but you haven't paid for a seat on it. Buying coffee is irrelevant, you need a valid ticket to be there and you won't have one. If you wouldn't pay to go again, you probably don't need to. Regardless of whether you glue yourself to the ceiling to stay out of other people's way or spent the equivalent of the ticket on hot drinks, you still travelled illegally and you'd be part of the problem that is causing train price hikes (as they install new ticket gates that stop this type of thing - they are being initialised in London at the moment but it won't be long before they are in all the major stations).

Up to you. I don't think I would because it just doesn't sit right with me, but I can see why some would. As long as you accept the risk and take the punishment if you're caught, without trying to justify this, it's entirely your choice.

NuggetofPurestGreen Mon 26-Oct-15 16:04:03

No thelittleredhen is isn't just 'what people do'. It wouldn't even occur to me to do it.

This is odd. Any other time there's a thread about say not getting charged for something or calling in sick to work or somehow not paying for things there's an outcry of 'thievery!!!' on MN. Why is this different?

Not criticising you OP btw just thing MN can be very inconsistent!

MaliceInWonderland78 Mon 26-Oct-15 16:04:19

I would, but then again I've been charged a full return fair because I picked up the receipt and not the return part of the ticket. Fully my fault, but still. I don't know why they have a ticket for each leg of the journey anyway.

LadyLonely1 Mon 26-Oct-15 16:06:31

It wouldn't even occur to me to do this either.

beefthief Mon 26-Oct-15 16:07:50

It's an enormously low risk crime against a horrible company that are largely unsympathetic.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 26-Oct-15 16:10:29

I don't think I would. It's dishonest.

LittleRedSparke Mon 26-Oct-15 16:11:27

i dont care either way what you do to be perfectly truthful....

but... whats the difference between this and shoplifting for eg (i know that if you remove goods then they cannot be resold obv, and a service can be used by many) but ethically - they're pretty much the same?

PHANTOMnamechanger Mon 26-Oct-15 16:18:07

I wouldn't. You have had what you paid for, at the pricce you were prepared to pay for it. Expecting anything else is plain and simply dishonest. Then again, it's evident that there are a lot of dishonest people about. Sadly, IMHO!

In my book this would be like sneaking in to see another film after the one you paid for ends, knowing that they have few staff and dont come in and check who's in each screen.

MrsJayy Mon 26-Oct-15 16:23:14

I would chance it but i have a face that gets caught i bought a child goes free ticket for my 17yr old over the summer the woman in the ticket office gave me a hmm face i didnt try it again

MrsJayy Mon 26-Oct-15 16:33:06

I wouldn't sorry

specialsubject Mon 26-Oct-15 16:35:53

it is obviously theft. Stealing is not dependent on the size of the organisation stolen from, nor on your perception of its morals.

no crime is victimless, remember - we all pay.

can't stop you stealing, but don't pretend that it is anything else.

Bumdance Mon 26-Oct-15 17:50:47

Legally it's wrong, as has been said before. And as pointed out upthread it's not a victimless crime insofaras if everyone did/does it then passenger numbers will be incorrectly recorded which may ultimately (I have no context for where you're travelling from/to) result in service alterations if demand is apparently higher elsewhere. Equally, it provides the government, for it is they who dictate train provision, with a reason to deny further investment in rolling stock. Plus, it pisses off fare paying passengers!

You're unlikely to get caught, of course, and it's hardly crime of the century but don't dress it up as you paying back the cost in tea purchases!

BalthazarImpresario Mon 26-Oct-15 18:05:03

If you put it through the barrier machine then it doesn't matter that it's not stamped. However we had one that was not stamped, original station had no barriers, our home station had its barriers open, that ticket would have gone through again without anyone noticing.

BalthazarImpresario Mon 26-Oct-15 18:06:37

Pressed send too soon, I hate the extortionate prices of public transport but as it is my only method of transport I'd like the correct numbers recorded to keep increases minimal (fat chance) and so that more trains /more frequent services can be available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now