Talk

Advanced search

To leave as planned

(10 Posts)
Dollymixtureyumyum Mon 26-Oct-15 10:21:32

I work three days a week usually Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
I have been asked to come in on Friday for five hours so made arrangement with my line manager to only come in for an hour today and then leave. We lost hours at the end of the month.
This morning have been approached by my over boss and he said "if you are not bothered stay in today and lose the hours as Paula (another member of staff name changed) has lost over 10 hours this month so 5 hours is nothing"
So great I am being lent on to give up my hours because I another member of staff can not manage their time.
I always lost a few hours at the end of the month and have attended a lot of events not on my work day (we are a charity so do lots of events)
Was planning lovely afternoon with Ds and little boy and promise to take him to the park.

strawberrypenguin Mon 26-Oct-15 10:24:51

Leave as planned. It was agreed and you have made arrangements for the day. If your company need more staff they should pay for them not lean on you to work for free

Axekick Mon 26-Oct-15 10:25:14

I don't really get the lost hours concept.

However yanbu, you made plans, stick to them.

What another person does has no impact on you what's so ever.

ThisisMrsNicolaHicklin Mon 26-Oct-15 10:38:40

Is it normal in your work to claim your over time as time owing in leui of payment and are these lost hours due to not taking them before a certain deadline? If this is the case its pretty sharp practice to try to talk you out of taking them.
I'd take your hours owing today as arranged. For the future you might want to have a chat to CAB or similar about your rights regarding being compelled to do unpaided overtime. Maybe tip Paula the wink too, she's being shafted.

AdoraBell Mon 26-Oct-15 10:43:55

Leave as planned and do what ThisIsNicolaHicklin suggested.

Leelu6 Mon 26-Oct-15 10:45:49

That sounds like the worst kind of management, playing off employee against another.

You should write an email explaining what has happened and that you will be leaving work as planned, because you have other committments.

Dollymixtureyumyum Mon 26-Oct-15 12:50:28

Any hours over at the end of the month we lose them end of.
I have left as planned my boss was no impressed though

Dollymixtureyumyum Mon 26-Oct-15 12:55:43

It's a bit of a naff organisation but I love the job itself
We have a staff social every 8 weeks on a Thursday afternoon.
I found out last week that those who work on a Thursday get paid for it. I and another member of staff have not been paid for it as we do not work a thursday but are still expected to come in

RB68 Mon 26-Oct-15 13:12:24

Just because you work for a charity doesn't mean you have to be a charity yourself.

I would be putting the hrs down for Thur to show those as lost as well to make sure its noted, As to today if anything is said I think it is fine to say that arrangements had already been made to transfer childcare to the Friday as that has to be paid for so if you do extra unpaid hrs you a) have that extra cost and b) don't get paid, but also that it was just too short notice. They will just push and push for you to do more unpaid hrs and justify it by saying "we are a charity" you need to push back and say you are also an employer and have certain responsibilities. You do this by making clear to them what is unreasonable and why. Cover yourself by putting it politely but firmly in writing. If they are saying that to you they are also saying it to others yo push them to do extra.

RB68 Mon 26-Oct-15 13:12:57

Oh the other good phrase is "oh I am not able to make that choice" when it comes to someone else loosing more hrs than you"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now