Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed with all the people on FB thanking God for 'miracle' recoveries

(212 Posts)
bumbleymummy Sun 25-Oct-15 20:14:06

Another one tonight where a boy's church are thanking God for him being found cancer free and thanking everyone for their prayers to make this possible. Lots of comments thanking God and Jesus and praise for how wonderful and gracious He is. Not a single mention of the doctors, surgeons, nurses etc who played a much more obvious role in his recovery! angry

airforsharon Sun 25-Oct-15 20:16:55

And never posts from the same people blaming God when someone doesn't survive....

bumbleymummy Sun 25-Oct-15 20:18:06

Exactly airforsharon! Guess who would be taking the blame in those cases angry

DoveCazzoEIlMioCaffe Sun 25-Oct-15 20:19:43

I don't much like posts such as these either but I do firmly believe in respecting the beliefs of others. I suspect you wouldn't be making points like this if the God being thanked was Allah hmm.

nebulae Sun 25-Oct-15 20:21:17

Never see posts from folk blaming "god" for giving the child cancer in the first place either.

Booyaka Sun 25-Oct-15 20:23:11

Yep Dove. Exactly. The little boy belongs to the church so it is obviously his family's faith, so not something unwelcome to them. And if it's given his family and friend's some comfort and made them feel a little bit less impotent in a frightening situation who are we to judge?

bumbleymummy Sun 25-Oct-15 20:28:19

Dove, my point stands regardless of which God (or gods) is being praised. It bothers me that no recognition is given to the people who work so bloody hard everyday to save people's lives. If people want to pray and thank God and it gives them comfort then great but is it really so hard to thank the people who saved his life?

southeastastra Sun 25-Oct-15 20:30:08

how long are we going to 'respect' religion of others that causes wars and segregation and is getting worse

it's all aload of baloney and i don't respect any of it.

southeastastra Sun 25-Oct-15 20:30:41

science is to be respected the rest is ridiculous bunkum

airforsharon Sun 25-Oct-15 20:32:09

I think it's perfectly possible to respect others right to hold certain beliefs, while not agreeing with them and questioning them.

PrinceHansOfTheTescoAisles Sun 25-Oct-15 20:35:40

I'm a Christian and so are my brother and SIL, whose toddler dd has just been diagnosed with leukaemia. Should I tell them not to ask people on fbook to pray for her because it annoys people?

I'm sure they will thank the hospital staff too but if she recovers I'd imagine they'd thank God too. I'll tell them that Mumsnet is judging them for that.

<mutters something distinctly unchristian>
angry

Fratelli Sun 25-Oct-15 20:35:57

Just let people have their beliefs. I'm interested in how you know they didn't thank the medical staff? Were you there?

bumbleymummy Sun 25-Oct-15 20:39:10

In the Facebook post fratelli (and Prince). A very long post praising and thanking God for his recovery and not a single word about the hospital staff. sad Do you really think that's ok?

bumbleymummy Sun 25-Oct-15 20:41:03

Prince I'm sorry that your niece has been diagnosed with leukaemia. thanks I hope she does make a full recovery.

PrinceHansOfTheTescoAisles Sun 25-Oct-15 20:41:04

Do you think judging people who have just watched a child go through cancer is OK? In case you can't tell, this is VERY close to home this week sad

PrinceHansOfTheTescoAisles Sun 25-Oct-15 20:41:51

Sorry, x posted. Thanks bumbley.

Fratelli Sun 25-Oct-15 20:42:25

Well the hospital staff wouldn't see it would they? It's more meaningful to thank them in person. If they didn't then that's unacceptable.

AshleyWilkes Sun 25-Oct-15 20:44:26

Maybe they have thanked the hospital already, maybe they have already posted a thank you in social media, but maybe their belief and faith in God means more to them then the actions of humans.

bumbleymummy Sun 25-Oct-15 20:49:20

Do you think I haven't watched people go through cancer Prince? I am thankful every day that there were people who made sacrifices in their lives and worked hard to make it possible for the people I love to still be with me today and to help to make those who couldn't fight it off as comfortable as possible in their final weeks.

Again, I am very sorry to hear about your niece. I am not criticising people for praying and having faith. What upsets me is that some people will go out of their way to publicly thank God but not other people. sad

bumbleymummy Sun 25-Oct-15 20:50:13

Sorry Prince x-post

UncertainSmile Sun 25-Oct-15 20:53:04

It's strange how the same God that supposedly heals allows people to become unwell in the first place.

expatinscotland Sun 25-Oct-15 20:56:28

YANBU. There's no such thing as miracles. And I say that as the mother of a child who died of cancer.

thenightsky Sun 25-Oct-15 20:58:19

Agree 100% with southeastastra at 20.30

theycallmemellojello Sun 25-Oct-15 21:00:13

Yabu. What a traumatic thing it is to know a child who goes through cancer, I can't even imagine what it is like for family members. Who are you to judge how people deal with it? Who are you to assume that the family have been ungrateful to the hospital staff? Show some compassion.

bumbleymummy Sun 25-Oct-15 21:00:24

expat. thanks I remember. So many people were praying for your daughter's recovery. I don't know how anyone can even try to explain why all those prayers went unanswered. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now