Talk

Advanced search

God-bothering at work

(457 Posts)
WhereToSheNow Sun 25-Oct-15 15:40:10

New MD hired his buddy/neighbour 6 months ago for a few hours a week to act as a Management Consultant.

The Management Consultant, who we call "Pokey" (because he keeps jabbing us in the arm) has some sort of official capacity within the Baptist Church, and his website is all about the application of his faith within business.

I didn't have a problem with that, as he hadn't mentioned religion.... until last week.

He attended a "World Leadership Course" and emailed us his notes, with several quotes about God and Jesus, telling us to read them and "feel free to ask any questions". In a meeting the following day, he asked us what we thought of his email.

I told him that I don't want to be included in emails that reference any religion/god, at which point he became very defensive.

Later that day I received another email where he said that he was sorry if the contents of his previous email had offended me, but that he hoped I would gain some insight that would assist me in my professional or personal life.

AIBU to think that my work should a) be a secular space and b) my personal life is none of his business!

popalot Sun 25-Oct-15 15:41:51

YANBU. He's lucky you're not of another religion and being harassed.

ilovesooty Sun 25-Oct-15 15:42:47

I think you're absolutely not unreasonable.

SwedishEdith Sun 25-Oct-15 15:44:00

YANBU at all. Totally inappropriate. But, I'm sure there's the potential to have some fun with this.

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sun 25-Oct-15 15:45:05

He is being VVU. Can you block his emails?

foragogo Sun 25-Oct-15 15:49:56

that is totally, totally inappropriate and would make me exceedingly angry. Does the MD share his beliefs?

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Sun 25-Oct-15 15:51:11

Later that day I received another email where he said that he was sorry if the contents of his previous email had offended me, but that he hoped I would gain some insight that would assist me in my professional or personal life.

So, you told him you didn't want to be included in god squad emails and he responded by sending you another email?

YANBU

WhereToSheNow Sun 25-Oct-15 15:52:30

I'm up for some fun Swedish Am thinking of some sort of red-eyed goat gif?

foragogo Sun 25-Oct-15 15:53:13

depending on how much I wanted to keep.the job I'd either totally blank and ignore him or be sending him similarly useful information on Satanism. Can you mention it to HR? Can you pretend to be another religion and hence mortally offended?

c4kedout Sun 25-Oct-15 15:54:10

I would be really hacked off if he keeps on going. report him to HR if he doesn't stop. or can you block his emails? totally inappropriate behaviour on his side.

WhereToSheNow Sun 25-Oct-15 15:54:56

Small company, no HR. Not sure if the MD shares his views, but they do sing in a choir together

foragogo Sun 25-Oct-15 15:55:57

start leaving Richard Dawkins books around.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sun 25-Oct-15 15:57:30

If someone poked me repeatedly I'd want to break their fingers. He's a prick for that alone.

Bringing religion into the work place crosses a line. Hobbies/personal beliefs should be left at home.

Has he said why he's doing this?

SwedishEdith Sun 25-Oct-15 16:00:24

How many staff work there? What did they say at the meeting?

WhereToSheNow Sun 25-Oct-15 16:02:26

KingJoffrey I've given him the death stare for poking me. He hasn't said why he's doing this and I won't give him the opportunity to explain why he thinks it's acceptable

SoDiana Sun 25-Oct-15 16:06:20

I so hate the god squad.

WhereToSheNow Sun 25-Oct-15 16:06:24

Swedish there was only one other employee at the meeting - he told me that I was rude to Pokey sad

SoDiana Sun 25-Oct-15 16:08:11

You are entitled to freedom of religion. Refer the pair of them to thererelevant law.

ilovesooty Sun 25-Oct-15 16:09:23

Does your company have an equality and diversity policy? It should make it clear that belief and lack of should be respected.

StarkyTheDirewolf Sun 25-Oct-15 16:10:08

As a religious, faith having. Church attending person, Fuck that! Unless you work in the Christian bookshop or as a secretary to the Bishop, God has no place being touted at your workplace. I'd be really annoyed if someone tried pushing their religious beliefs on me in the workplace.

SoDiana Sun 25-Oct-15 16:12:46

This is religious harassment in the workplace

Naoko Sun 25-Oct-15 16:14:53

Never mind the godbothering, what's with the poking?! Don't just give him death stares, someone who doesn't realise or care poking people at work is not ok will neither care nor notice. Just tell him not to poke you again. You can be polite but firm about it.

Lweji Sun 25-Oct-15 16:15:18

Can you talk to your boss? Or is that effectively the MD?

I'd check out employment regulations about both the emails about religion and the poking. Neither are acceptable at work.

Moomintroll85 Sun 25-Oct-15 16:17:34

Religious preaching AND arm jabbing would piss me right off - two of the most irritating things in the world.

I guess your options are to keep declining (seems like he has no respect for anyone else's views so it could get tiring), ignore, complain to your manager or as others suggest have some fun with it. or tell him to fuck off

And your colleague thinking you're rude is just shock. Why you're all just supposed to politely engage with such inappropriate bullshit because to say anything would be rude is beyond me. Your colleague sounds like one of them grin

DevonFolk Sun 25-Oct-15 16:17:40

He is being mightily unreasonable. And I say that as a Christian.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now