loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be shocked at the BBC's misrepresentation

(37 Posts)
RickRoll Sat 24-Oct-15 19:11:43

Official report from BBC:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C_CdmhvRMI

You can see there is video, up to 0:53. At 0:42-0:49, you see a woman in a headscarf and denim jacket, next to a man in a grey shirt, holding a baby.

Then, strangely, the video is cut, and there are 30 seconds of still images of the same man, woman and baby on the tracks, apparently having been assaulted by the evil Hungarian police, with the voiceover

"and then a really distressing incident happened, the woman who was carrying a small baby began crying for help.
one of her companions tried to help her.

somehow there became a push and shove with the police and she was ended up on the railway lines"

The actual video of the incident shows a completely different story:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gAxpQEm6Mk

the man throws the woman (his wife, presumably), and baby onto the railway tracks, while he shouts aggressively, whereupon the police understandably handcuff him, and get the woman and child off the railway line.

ginghamcricketbox Sat 24-Oct-15 19:16:57

The BBC have been doing this all the way through the "refugee" crisis they are a fucking disgrace.

carlajean Sat 24-Oct-15 19:18:50

yes, I agree. I've lost faith with BBC news coverage and now don't watch it

HeySoulSister Sat 24-Oct-15 19:20:02

Wasn't this weeks ago?

RickRoll Sat 24-Oct-15 19:46:02

yes, at the start of September.

hefzi Sat 24-Oct-15 21:54:02

This isn't the only news they misrepresent...

ursuslemonade Sat 24-Oct-15 21:59:52

They were not even related, he just shoved them on the track.
Evil police only intervened to protect the woman and the baby from the man.

EeyoresTail Sat 24-Oct-15 22:08:06

That's shocking! If you can't trust the beeb to report the truth who can you!

Bakeoffcake Sat 24-Oct-15 22:12:14

That is awful. Why would they do that?

RickRoll Sat 24-Oct-15 22:15:38

"They were not even related, he just shoved them on the track."

Source? At the beginning of the video he is holding the baby. So one would assume it is his.

blaeberry Sat 24-Oct-15 22:20:17

Newsround on CBBC is blatant propaganda.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 24-Oct-15 22:20:41

Eeyores is that a joke?

The BBC are not impartial. They have a vested interest in pushing the government's current agenda, whatever that is at the time.

Pinch of salt, for everything.

I don't think the BBC have cottoned on to the fact that people can find the truth themselves rather easily now that the Internet is so widely used.

Patapouf Sat 24-Oct-15 22:52:49

If you find that shocking, I'd steer clear of Bbc coverage of the Palestinian/Israeli violence

Bakeoffcake Sat 24-Oct-15 22:59:28

Can anyone recommend a news sours that can be trusted?

littledrummergirl Sat 24-Oct-15 23:05:00

Yabu for thinking the BBC have no agenda and report truthfully.

Yanbu to ask where you can get the truth from.

EeyoresTail Sat 24-Oct-15 23:06:23

No that wasn't a joke Anchor I foolishly didn't think that the BBC would lie like that. I guess my eyes have been opened

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 24-Oct-15 23:10:22

YABU. The BBC are shit. All news outlets generally are - can't reccomend a particularly reliable source but if you read more widely you'll get other sides to the story. Have a look at RT or Jazeera for alternative viewpoints.

Ataraxy Sat 24-Oct-15 23:18:17

What's the alternative? Let Murdoch take over the BBC, like he's trying desperately hard to do, because that would make the beeb more impartial? <snort>

JakeyBurd Sat 24-Oct-15 23:45:47

The BBC are little more than a propagandist arm for the government, and have been for years. As Anchor said, now that people can easily google the news and get the truth and different perspectives on it online, the BBC are being exposed.

Their renowned 'impartiality' is a huge joke, and the joke is on us - we are forced to pay for this. The alternative, Ataraxy, is to give up your licence, cut their funding and get your news from some of the excellent news websites that are run on a shoestring budget but somehow still manage to report the truth.

Axekick Sun 25-Oct-15 07:19:15

I saw that incident live. Even then the reporter was trying to make out something different was happening and saying how awful it was to watch the police man handling the family.

They did know eachother they said they were husband and wife. I stopped watching the coverage then.

I really don't get though, how this suits the current governments agenda, like a op suggested.

Shakirasma Sun 25-Oct-15 07:35:44

The BBC is state funded television, it will always be there for the government's propaganda purposes.

If the TV licence was more accurately named "tv tax" more people would be less naive to the fact.

Shockers Sun 25-Oct-15 07:56:23

The police were telling them they couldn't stay there, so in utter desperation he pulled his wife and child onto the track to stop the train from running, is what is happening in the real video. I wonder if they'd become separated from another family member and didn't want to go until they'd arrived? Whatever was happening, the police acted professionally as far I can make out. There was no violence, they were simply restraining him and getting them out of danger. It's all so sad.

Longtalljosie Sun 25-Oct-15 07:56:25

Oh for God's sake... what the BBC and its journalists sets are NOT is minor deities.

You're watching a contemporaneous account - clearly filed almost immediately afterwards. The BBC reporter - who was clearly there on the platform - reported what he saw - hence "somehow there became a push and a shove". He wouldn't say the man pushed his wife unless that was directly in his line of vision. He would have known there was a press snapper there and the BBC clearly bought those photos as there was no moving footage available to them at the time. The earlier moving images were available them (of the guy sitting on the platform) and were the nearest the reporter could go to saying this was his baby - as he didn't know that and you can never assume.

And then you have some mobile phone footage which has later been uploaded to YouTube - which shows the incident much more clearly. This will be an unrelated person who had no contact with the BBC reporter at that early stage - or that (much better) footage would have been used.

You will get news outlets which leap to conclusions (eg, this was his father). Sometimes, luckily for them, they turn out to be right. It's lucky when they are, rather than journalism. These are not better sources of news.

ihatethecold Sun 25-Oct-15 08:05:08

I prefer the channel 4 news.
I think Jon Snow is a very good journalist.

Bakeoffcake Sun 25-Oct-15 08:20:00

[comfused] I'm not getting "the BBC are there to push the government's propaganda".

They are constantly being criticised for being too left wing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now