Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to hate the phrase 'waste of space'?

(11 Posts)
supersop60 Sat 24-Oct-15 12:58:34

I work in several schools, and in one school in particular I regularly hear a colleague refer to pupils as 'a waste of space'. AIBU to think this is quite a nasty expression?

Bailey101 Sat 24-Oct-15 12:59:54

It's not a nice thing to say about children, but I don't see any problem with the expression in general.

Gruntfuttock Sat 24-Oct-15 13:00:22

Yes, of course it's a nasty expression. That's the point surely. No one would use it if they weren't intending to be nasty.

OurBlanche Sat 24-Oct-15 13:06:00

It is a quick way of not swearing, not being personal or getting into detail. It allows a very frustrated teacher to air their frustrations quickly - always necessary with the 1 minute between lessons if you are lucky way we work.

If your colleague is regularly using this expression then your colleague is probably close to the end of their tether. You might want to offer them some support!

supersop60 Sat 24-Oct-15 13:06:11

It's like wishing a child into non-existence, instead of saying they are irritating, lazy, rude or whatever the problem really is.

OurBlanche Sat 24-Oct-15 13:07:19

Yup! That is exactly what it is? What is the problem? Unless your colleague is Harry Potter their wish isn't going to come true! They are just venting!

GingerIvy Sat 24-Oct-15 13:13:08

Using it about a child? Not nice. Using it about an ex? Absolutely fine.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 24-Oct-15 13:17:58

Weird.

Someone who works in a school calling children a 'waste of space' doesn't sound all that bright.

Can she not find the door??

BubsandMoo Sat 24-Oct-15 13:20:42

Horrid thing to say about any living thing, I think. Unnecessary objects can be a waste of space, sure. But saying that about a person is kind of objectifying them and saying they're worthless, which is horrid.

SummerNights1986 Sat 24-Oct-15 13:29:19

What bubs said. Used for objects in the literal term - fine. Used for a person is really nasty.

MorrisZapp Sat 24-Oct-15 13:33:54

I use that expression fairly frequently, I consider it a very mild insult.

If I really dislike somebody I would call them eg a fucking twat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now