Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Users of MoonCups

(28 Posts)
Fatmomma99 Sat 24-Oct-15 01:14:19

Other than singing "Mooon Cups dot com", would any users like to PM me?

Have purchased (and just started using) one and i have some questions that may be too delicate for even the most robust of the MN vipers! (and they are a hardy lot)

(the suck-y noise when you take it out, for starters. Is that normal? Please, I need some help - I have a long day tomorrow, involving a long journey and a seat in a theater and a womb which apparently has some form of Terry-Pratchett-conceived elf dropping buckets of blood and gore out of my vagina! Last period in the space of about 90 minutes, I stained two chairs and had to change clothes 3 times despite super tampon, super sanitary towel and a fistfull of loo-roll. I really, really don't want this to happen again)

CainInThePunting Sat 24-Oct-15 01:17:30

The noise can happen, I've been using a mooncup since about 2005 so feel free to pm me yourquestions.

Mermaidhair Sat 24-Oct-15 01:18:25

Did you really bleed that much? If so I would be seeing a gynaecologist about it. I'm sorry no experience with moon cups, but I would expect there to be a noise when you remove it due to suction.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 24-Oct-15 01:25:34

I find that the noise happens sometimes but not others. It hasn't happemed since I switched to tge meluna soft version

Fatmomma99 Sat 24-Oct-15 01:37:52

what is gte meluna soft version?

Mermaidhair - I think I'm pre-menopausal. I had a bleed last month that lasted 15 days (I have NEVER bled longer than 7) and the stuff that dropped out of me was like a horror film. I bled like I'd never bled before. I asked older friends and saw GP, and what happened to me, whilst doesn't happen to everyone, isn't abnormal.

It doesn't hurt, but it is quite dramatic, and if anyone else is going through this, they'll know it needs to be manged and I need help to do this. (hence my mooncup purchase).

goodasitgets Sat 24-Oct-15 01:39:22

Shout if you need anything smile I use one

steff13 Sat 24-Oct-15 01:45:15

I haven't used MoonCup, but I've used Diva Cup, Lunette, and Lena. I get the sound sometimes, not always.

If your periods are that heavy, you should go to your gynecologist. Also, have your thyroid tested. Mine have always been heavy, but when my doctor started adjusting my thyroid meds, it's gotten better.

BrideOfWankenstein Sat 24-Oct-15 01:46:19

I literally just ordered one. Was wondering whether it's safe to use with IUD? Also, does it create a vacuum in there? How is it not leaking during sleep?
How long do you use one before replacing it?

Fatmomma99 Sat 24-Oct-15 02:01:46

I am so glad this is not just me!!! Welcome to my period hell!

My periods have always followed a pattern, and last month - from nowhere - had one like never before. My GP (who I rushed to see) said it wasn't unusual, and wasn't dangerous.

But I HAVE to mange what I've apparently now got. I can not be at work and need to change clothes 3 times in an hour AND then deal with a blood cot off my foot (because it's fallen out of me despite the super sanitary towel, super tampon and half a wad of loo roll) and which looks like a fetus (this is what happened last month)

I now have a mooncup, but not sure I'm inserting it right. Looong day tomorrow.

Thankful for all and any help!

Topseyt Sat 24-Oct-15 02:07:29

I am not a mooncup user, but do suffer the type of prolonged and heavy bleeding you describe and it's horrible.

It is best to get it checked out. Chances are nothing is wrong and, like me, it is the perimenopause. Worth it for peace of mind though. I had an ultrasound scan.

To control the bleeding, which could have me housebound for a few days a month, my GP prescribes Tranexamic Acid, which I just take for four or five days a month and it seems to work for me. Ask yours whether it would be suitable and worth a try for you.

Just because something is common or normal running up to the menopause does not mean you should continue to suffer with it unquestioningly.

I couldn't live without Tranexamic Acid. I really just want this phase to be over, but my body has other ideas at the moment. I am 49.

goodasitgets Sat 24-Oct-15 02:08:04

Not so much vacuum as a seal
Mine manages with me upside down on a pole and horse riding so sleep not a problem!
IUD - hmmm. I half expelled my first one. The strings were too long and got stuck between the cup and me. I asked for the second one to be trimmed really short and not had any problems

BrideOfWankenstein Sat 24-Oct-15 02:45:37

Thank you, goodasitgets

CaoNiMao Sat 24-Oct-15 02:53:11

OP, don't let your GP fob you off like this. That sort of bleeding isn't normal. There will be a solution.

AdjustableWench Sat 24-Oct-15 03:32:04

Tranexamic acid works for me too. My periods became extremely heavy after the birth of my third child and I was borderline anaemic. I use a mooncup with washable sanitary pads (I hate the papery disposable pads) and I seem to be managing. But I was virtually housebound a couple of days a month before the tranexamic acid. Your GP should be willing to prescribe it unless there are medical reasons not to (e.g. a history of blood clots).

Tuiles Sat 24-Oct-15 03:56:07

When I've had very heavy flow - and not as bad even as you describe, then I would be changing my moon cup hourly and wearing a super pad for extra security. Once your cup overflows then there can be leakage, it's not the fanny equivalent of the Hoover Dam!

GreenSand Sat 24-Oct-15 05:18:02

Cup user here.
Yes, the sound can occour. If you can fold the cup slightly before removing, it let's the air in more slowly, so less noise.

I'm up now if you want to pm?

Mermaidhair Sat 24-Oct-15 05:31:51

You poor thing! It must be awful for you.

Junosmum Sat 24-Oct-15 08:21:09

Mooncup user here, yup I get the sound too. The first time I ever used it I got it stuck and my OH had to remove it! That was grim.

WutheringFrights Sat 24-Oct-15 08:27:45

I have nothing to add except grin at moooooncup .com
I secretly hoped that DH and I weren't the only weird people who sing about mooncups!

Crosbybeach Sat 24-Oct-15 08:36:11

A mooncup didn't hack it when I flooded. I echo what other posters have said, it might be normal to flood, but that doesn't mean that there isn't stuff that can be done. Ibuprofen is a short term help.

Tx acid can help, didn't do a lot for me, noristherone, a mirena. What worked for me was going back on the pill at 46 after trying HRT which stopped the horror film bleeding but sent me a bit depressed and loopy.

Honestly go back to the GP if it's affecting your life. Also, I'm not armchair diagnosing, but maybe get your iron levels checked? That can, oddly, according to my GP make bleeding worse.

Temporaryanonymity Sat 24-Oct-15 08:55:51

I'm in my third month of using a mooncup and I get the noise too. I've also found that the cup doesn't deal with clots well. Mine are big and fill the cup, leading to a heavy overflow.

I remember reading about normal blood loss being a few tablespoons over the course of the week. Well, I reckon mine is that an hour! I went to the doctor yesterday as I could articulate just how much blood I losing thanks to the mooncup.

I was on tranenaxic acid but it wasn't overly effective. He has now given me naproxen to help with the flow and the pain and last night I had very vivid dreams and a very deep sleep.

When the flow lessens the mooncup is brilliant but when it is at it's heaviest it doesn't do the job unless I use a pad as well.

Fatmomma99 Sat 24-Oct-15 10:20:55

This is all really useful. Thank you so much, and to those who've PM'd me. I was prescribed Tx acid as well, but haven't used it yet. And GP says if that doesn't work, she'll fit a coil.
Me buying the mooncup was me trying to get some control in case the Tx acid doesn't work for any reason.

I'll stick some spare clothes and a towel in my bag for travelling today just in case, I think.

From what people have said, I think I'm trying too hard to insert it properly. There is a little bit of chafing, which isn't totally comfortable. And I'm having some leakage without the cup totally filling up.

quite worried about long journey today.

LivingInMidnight Sat 24-Oct-15 10:29:06

Are you spinning it once it's inserted? Will make sure it's opened properly and help with the seal.

DoreenLethal Sat 24-Oct-15 10:46:49

I had the same very very very heavy bleeds before the menopause. So bad I got out of bed once, and before I took a step there were two huge pools of blood on the floor and in my slippers as it had run down my pyjamas. Not good.

The moon cup - I wished I had switched years earlier - it made the last few years so much more bearable. I went for the smaller version as I hadn't had kids and the larger one made me want the loo all the time.

With that much blood, mooncup plus extra heavy pads and regular changes. It felt like gallons some days.

IceCreamBandit Sat 24-Oct-15 11:00:14

I had really bad bleeding after having my DD and used toddler nappies to line my pants. Bit awkward and uncomfortable, but they worked the best if I was sitting for a long time. I've also heard of people using the very high absorbency incontinence pads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now