Talk

Advanced search

AIBU t think that this is really unhygenic?

(136 Posts)
ILiveAtTheBeach Fri 23-Oct-15 22:09:38

My DH takes the block of cheese out of the packet, and then sits the cheese on top of the packet to chop it. This wrapper/packet has been handled by so many people! The Factory workers, the van loaders, the shelf stackers, the people in the supermarket that looked at it and put it back, the cashiers, and it's been on the sticky conveyor belt, etc etc. Surely there's a lot of germs on it?! It's not a big problem (obvs), but he doesn't get that I think that's a bit minging - use our clean chopping board instead. Am I wrong?

Wigglebummunch31 Fri 23-Oct-15 22:11:45

I do that too blush

MsJamieFraser Fri 23-Oct-15 22:13:06

its not the best, but have you fallen ill yet because of this?

we always use a chopping board, but you touch money/public places everyday... so this in the grand scheme of things... is minor really.

JuniorMint Fri 23-Oct-15 22:14:10

I do that, and had never really thought about it before. I haven't come down with anything yet though!

pigsDOfly Fri 23-Oct-15 22:14:14

Yeah, I imagine it's covered in all sorts of nasties.

Next time it's your turn to cook dinner take his down to the supermarket, stick it on the conveyor belt and suggest he eats it from there. No plate underneath obviously.

BrandNewAndImproved Fri 23-Oct-15 22:14:23

I do that to. Saves me wiping the counter after and now I feel like cheese and Crackers!

almondpudding Fri 23-Oct-15 22:15:21

Why would there be a lot of germs in it?

It is plastic.

It isn't like food where bacteria are going to thrive.

Kerberos Fri 23-Oct-15 22:15:22

Yep I do it too. Not died yet. You are over thinking it.

DoveCazzoEIlMioCaffe Fri 23-Oct-15 22:15:46

I do that too. I do lots of things that would make some MN'ers run screaming - Munch style - for the Anti-Bac spray, bleach, flame thrower and industrial cleaning team. But here's the thing - we're never ill! Had noro once in the last 20 years and that was caught from hospital!

FiveShelties Fri 23-Oct-15 22:16:37

I suppose he could unwrap the cheese and then place it on the chopping board, transferring the germs from the packet to the cheese himself - or he could just carry on doing what he has always done. I don't think I would worry too much about it.

BlueBananas Fri 23-Oct-15 22:16:50

I do this too, in fact everyone I've ever seen chop cheese does this thinking about it
Wouldn't occur to me to get a chopping board - just extra washing up isn't it

wasonthelist Fri 23-Oct-15 22:17:25

Op I'm a bit surprised you allow him to put the cheese in the fridge in the first place in that filthy germ-ridden petri dish of a packet. Shouldn't me have decanted it to a sterile bag in the clean room first? What's the world coming to?

heavens2betsy Fri 23-Oct-15 22:18:33

I do that too
And I'm still alive !!!!

MotherOfFlagons Fri 23-Oct-15 22:18:36

Oh, I do that. I've never been ill.

MrsBungle Fri 23-Oct-15 22:18:38

I did that just the evening. No one in my house has been poisoned yet.

ArkhamOffitt Fri 23-Oct-15 22:19:20

That is a bit minging. Plus he handles it then shoves it back in the packet. Ugh.

Haggisfish Fri 23-Oct-15 22:19:38

Yabu I do this too-saves washing a plate!

BeanGirls Fri 23-Oct-15 22:20:31

We do this and I've never even thought twice about it.

AgentZigzag Fri 23-Oct-15 22:21:31

Yeah there are worse things and the likelihood of you falling ill and dying a slow and horrible death because of all the nose pickers it are small, but YANBU it's manky.

It'd be fine for your DH to do this to cheese that was exclusively his but he's doing it to yours as well!

Where's he got the habit from though? I can imagine if you'd been in the shitholes that are some student houses the packet might have been the safest place to chop the cheese on.

wasonthelist Fri 23-Oct-15 22:21:40

Op, show him this thread grin

BrandNewAndImproved Fri 23-Oct-15 22:21:41

I sometimes take bites of cheese off the block with my mouth and then rub the bite marks out and put it back grin

I do actually have ocd but my own germs don't bother me unfortunately!

Shodan Fri 23-Oct-15 22:22:01

I'm the opposite to BlueBananas- I've never seen anyone do this! I use the chopping board, my friends use a chopping board-even DH (who has some very questionable habits) uses a board.

Does it extend to other foodstuffs? Do cheese-wrapper-choppers also chop meat on the plastic tray it comes in? What about peppers from a three-pack?

I am intrigued grin

cardibach Fri 23-Oct-15 22:23:38

Arkham what do you suggest then? No eating cheese unless you are going to eat the whole pack?
The way some of you go on you would think most of us don't have a functioning immune system.

BrandNewAndImproved Fri 23-Oct-15 22:24:10

I chop and peal vegetables and potatoes on/in a plastic bag. Stops the mess and less washing up.

almondpudding Fri 23-Oct-15 22:25:25

Shodan, I would definitely balance a slice of toast on the butter lid to butter the toast.

And sometimes I drink through a paper straw, even though someone in the factory probably touched it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: