Talk

Advanced search

to think TFI Friday isn't as good as it was in the 90s

(23 Posts)
heavens2betsy Fri 23-Oct-15 20:36:13

I really loved it back then and u wanted to like it now
But I just find it a bit shit really
Or is it that I've just grown sobered up now?!

laffymeal Fri 23-Oct-15 20:36:56

Yabu. It was shit then.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 23-Oct-15 20:39:28

It was always shit.

They've made you think it was good through the power of advertising and shouting and showing a few good clips.

Bakeoffcake Fri 23-Oct-15 20:41:25

DH and I just switched it on, we lasted 10 minutes and then switched it over.

Yanbu. It is shit.

heavens2betsy Fri 23-Oct-15 20:41:30

The music was better then though
God I feel old!!!

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 23-Oct-15 20:42:16

It was shit in the 90's too, you are just experiencing nostalgia for your youth.

InkleWinkle Fri 23-Oct-15 20:46:46

We've just got it on while we wait for Gogglebox.
It's all rock n roll here ??

SharkBastard Fri 23-Oct-15 20:47:03

I loved it in the 90's captured the time well, however, having Take That on it? Dafuq?!?! Then U2...its utter shit now

Rivercam Fri 23-Oct-15 20:48:00

I,enjoyed the anniversary special.

I think the programme could work with a new presenter, and with fresh ideas for a younger generation. Although I love Chris Evans on his breakfast show, him presenting this doesn't quite work, and hints at a midlife crisis or dad dancing.

I wonder if any younger people are watching it, or is it older people who grew up with the first series.

Actually, may watch next week as they have just said Duran Duran on it next week!

heavens2betsy Fri 23-Oct-15 20:54:20

My kids are a bit bemused by it
They've gone up to their rooms in disgust!!

MuddhaOfSuburbia Fri 23-Oct-15 20:59:02

yy it was always shit iirc

but it was on on FRIDAYS so we were always inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt/look back on it fondly

tell you what they should bring back, while we're at it- the Big Breakfast

the Big Breakfast was grate

jubblie Fri 23-Oct-15 21:00:21

It was always about his ego.

thunderbird69 Fri 23-Oct-15 21:00:22

It's meant to be a bit shit isn't it?

I still enjoy it and love the theme tune.

Bunbaker Fri 23-Oct-15 21:00:25

"Yabu. It was shit then."

This ^ ^

BoSelectaBigBiff Fri 23-Oct-15 21:00:52

I was just thinking a few minutes ago, that I'd just got too old & boring sensible for TFI Friday. I think when you remember stuff from the first time around, any attempt to revive it just doesn't seem as good as the original.

Muckogy Fri 23-Oct-15 21:01:24

YANBU.
we've all moved on. 20 years on.
the past cannot be reclaimed.

toomuchtooold Fri 23-Oct-15 21:01:47

Jesus, that was crap. And what the hell has happened to Hurts? Why are they playing lounge music!

heavens2betsy Fri 23-Oct-15 21:01:54

I loved the big breakfast
I wonder why Channel four don't bother even trying with breakfast tv anymore - they just show American sitcom repeats.

honeyroar Fri 23-Oct-15 21:30:23

I was hoping to like it, having liked it in the 90s, but it didn't do it for me anymore. I wondered if it was because when I watched it in the 90s I was living with uni flatmates, and we were either gearing up for a night out, or already drunk on the settee. Chris Evans has grown up and mellowed too (and as for U2!!!). It just doesn't quite work.

Claireshh Fri 23-Oct-15 21:47:36

Justin Bieber seemed rather odd. Twitching his leg and arm bizarrely...

BertieBotts Fri 23-Oct-15 21:51:06

Maybe you were high in the 90s? grin

TiredButFineODFOJ Fri 23-Oct-15 22:25:34

Imalways thought it was a disappointment in the 90's, like a less edgy version of The Word. Since the 90's we've had the internet and reality tv, slightly drunk pop stars and craaaaaazy studio set up with wacky mayhem isn't edgy any more.

MoonriseKingdom Fri 23-Oct-15 22:41:52

Well I really enjoyed it in the 90s.
But ... I was 17 when it started, it was on earlier in the evening when I was pleased to be done with school for the week, excited about going out with my friends that evening, the music was generally the big bands of the time, I was young enough to find Sean Ryder hilariously funny.

The problem is it is now a show all about nostalgia while then it felt really current. It doesn't help that the music so far has been dreadful. I think they should have left well alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now