Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to pay an extra 25%?

(5 Posts)
VelvetSpoon Fri 23-Oct-15 17:45:19

Have had someone doing some building work at my house recently.

He initially gave me a really low quote. I think this is because he'd underestimated the amount complexity of work, and really wanted the work.

Anyway, when he gave me the quote, he didn't say how long he thought it would take. I was thinking 7-10 working days. He told my bf he'd have it done in a week - however as it is it's taken him 2 (so 10 working days, albeit a few of those have been half days etc).

He's not mentioned money but he's clearly fed up with how long it's taken him (he finished today). I've already paid for half the job (less than £500), am due to pay him for the other half but am intending to give him extra - basically another 25%. WIBU to do so?

Littlef00t Fri 23-Oct-15 18:16:04

If you think that's a fair price for the work, absolutely do it. You'll have someone you can use in the future and you'll probably get a fair rate again too. Yanbu.

VelvetSpoon Fri 23-Oct-15 18:40:54

Thanks!
I do think it's a reasonable price. He's not done a brilliantly skillful job but I wasn't expecting that for the price, I just wanted something functional and complete, which it overall is (there are a couple of minor bits he's not been able to get done due to wrong parts etc but we can finish those ourselves tbh). I was a bit undecided when I realised he'd not completely finished but even so I think he's still done more in value terns than his quote.

HackerFucker22 Fri 23-Oct-15 18:45:53

I've asked my (tradesmen) DP and he thinks it is a very kind and thoughtful thing to do and something he would have much appreciated when he just started out as self employed and undercharged a few jobs.

VelvetSpoon Fri 23-Oct-15 23:16:50

It's ended up he's popping back next week to finish the odds & ends that aren't completed, so haven't given him the extra yet but will do then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now