Talk

Advanced search

To ask about child tax credit cuts.

(479 Posts)
yellowbird11 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:09:59

Is it inevitable and if so will it affect everyone? what a massive worry to all of you who are going to be affected.My DD works 16 hours a week and has 1 child. She'd love to do more hours as her child is at school but isn't able to. Can anyone give me any idea how much she'll lose, and when? I'm so worried for her because I know without these tax credits they'll be barely able to eat and keep warm. How can these Tory b******s sleep at night?

Darkbehindthecurtain Fri 23-Oct-15 16:15:02

No, it won't affect everyone. Not everyone claims them. The Tory bastards sleep at night just fine, thanks.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 23-Oct-15 16:15:11

totally depends on her earnings

ghostyslovesheep Fri 23-Oct-15 16:18:06

some of us have no choice - we rely on them - go feed your high horse smile

ditavonteesed Fri 23-Oct-15 16:19:24

If you go on entitled to it gives you a break down of the changes when you put your circumstanmces in,

yellowbird11 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:20:13

Well obviously I was referring to the people who claimed them Dark hmm
Do you actually know they sleep well at night?

yellowbird11 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:20:49

Should have said, she's on the nat min wage.

Fairylea Fri 23-Oct-15 16:22:42

It will affect us. Dh works full time on near minimum wage and I am a full time carer to ds who is on high rate dla. The Tories haven't touched the dla which is great but we will be losing about £20 a week from our tax credits due to the changes in thresholds which will make life very uncomfortable. Dh is looking for better paid work and applying for anything and everything and is a graduate etc etc but there aren't many jobs about in our part of the country - well nothing higher paid than he has already.

Spidertracker Fri 23-Oct-15 16:23:33

Well it won't affect everyone, it is based on income thresholds. it will affect me but we are the people it should affect. We earn 24,000 between us and get a couple of hundred a month in tax credits which is pure treat money, having done calculations we will lose everything but can pay all the bills and essentials, some nonessentials too. Just no takeaways or holidays. I think it is fair enough to not expect the government to foot the bill for that.
I don't think the line has been drawn in quite the right place though as I know other people where the cuts will leave them choosing between food and heat.

Darkbehindthecurtain Fri 23-Oct-15 16:26:46

You do have a choice.

It might not be a choice you like, but you have a choice (disabilities excepted.)

Darkbehindthecurtain Fri 23-Oct-15 16:29:57

I'm retracting that comment actually: it's unfair, but I don't like being called a bastard.

My mother was married to my father! grin

dreamingofsun Fri 23-Oct-15 16:31:50

why isn't she able to do more than 16 hours of work a week?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 23-Oct-15 16:33:56

Maybe her employer has no more hours available?

Quite possible.

Pyjamaramadrama Fri 23-Oct-15 16:34:57

Dark how do you have a choice if you're working full time but your salary doesn't cover bills and childcare?

Enlighten me.

Sonnet Fri 23-Oct-15 16:35:56

Spidertracker what a well balanced post - wish we saw more of them on these sort of threads

Shutthatdoor Fri 23-Oct-15 16:36:11

How can these Tory b******s sleep at night?

You are right to feel upset and uncertain, but name calling helps no one. and may prevent people from posting that could actually help

Darkbehindthecurtain Fri 23-Oct-15 16:36:18

I6 hours is nothing really - 2 days.

Despite my slightly snarky post, I'm not actually unsympathetic to the challenges faced by single working parents BUT in this case I would hope the person is at least looking for additional hours.

The 16 hour rule is one reason I dislike TC.

howabout Fri 23-Oct-15 16:37:01

According to government briefing papers in 2010 90% of families with children claimed tax credits. The current percentage is 60%, but obviously they are the poorest 60%. Of these 75% will be adversely affected even by 2020 when all the changes to minimum wage are factored in. Also the government also confirms that the disabled will be disproportionately affected by the changes.

Loads of links and comment on Frank Field's website for anyone interested.

Pyjamaramadrama Fri 23-Oct-15 16:39:08

Dark working 16 hours might be helpful to a single parent of a young baby. It might be there is a vacancy available for 16 hours and better to take some work than none at all.

The Tories had already changed the minimum working hours requirements anyway

dreamingofsun Fri 23-Oct-15 16:40:29

howabout - i guess they would be poor if all they are working is 16 hours a week. maybe thats also why they can't sleep at night....i certainly don't have any problems but then i'm a torryXXXXXX living in a household working 80 hours a week

dreamingofsun Fri 23-Oct-15 16:41:22

Any paying loads of tax so others can do just 16. sorry hard week and have a headache.

Babyroobs Fri 23-Oct-15 16:42:18

Op, if your dd cannot get more hours in her current job, could she look for another part time one to make up the shortfall ? Or do some kind of part time work frm home ?I really don't like the 16 hour TC rule either, but that's probably have quite a few work colleaugues who work 16 hours and have teenage kids. It's possibly acceptable when kids are young but not when they are teenagers.

Pyjamaramadrama Fri 23-Oct-15 16:42:26

Why can't people grasp that if you are a single parent. The more hours you work the more childcare you pay out?

expatinscotland Fri 23-Oct-15 16:43:41

'You do have a choice.

It might not be a choice you like, but you have a choice (disabilities excepted.)'

No, sometimes you really fucking don't. The choice is to give your child up because you cannot afford childcare.

CookieMonsterIsOnADiet Fri 23-Oct-15 16:43:45

"How can these Tory b******s sleep at night?"

The same as those who think it's ok to just work sixteen hours a week, it's nothing.

The 16 rule was its downfall, if it had been 35/40 per adult it wouldn't have been as abused and the cuts wouldn't have been needed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: