Talk

Advanced search

Vauxhall should recall Zafira 2005-2012 before anyone dies!

(5 Posts)
MisForMumNotMaid Fri 23-Oct-15 12:52:43

I called my local branch to enquire if there is a recall. Not oficially aparently, even though 120 cars are known to have gone up in flames in the UK and they've identified a faulty part (this was information Vauxhall shared with me).

The phone advisor told me to avoid using the car (at half term with a disabled child and one with quirky issues and one who could get himself out, really Vauxhall to have a nearly new car and be housebound is reasonable!).

If i'm using the car apparently I should drive useing the fan on speed 4 not higher or lower.

Its already been in this week for faulty electrics that they haven't fixed and they don't get stock of the faulty part for replacements until middle of next week. I can't be bked in until 2nd November!

I will avoid using the car as we couldn't get out within three minutes as the DC are unable to get out independantly.

DD (4) has been in a fire before. She sat in her nans kitchen in flames and continued to shell peas. Her reactions are not typical. Fortunately that time I arrived before the fire got to her, got her out and put the fire out. All before my deaf mother came downstairs from the toilet to smoke alarms going off and dense smoke.

So AIBU to think Vauxhall should take some action?

overthemill Fri 23-Oct-15 12:54:41

Check your car insurance. Can you get a replacement car while electrics being fixed/ waiting?

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 23-Oct-15 13:07:32

Good thought but my understanding is that unless Vauxhall officially acknowledge a fault its an optional repair so even though locally the advisor is saying don't use the car Vauxhall the company aren't.

I will try them though.

WMittens Fri 23-Oct-15 14:37:12

From Vauxhall site: The safety of our customers is the number one priority. Our investigations have found that a number of incidents have occurred due to previous repairs being performed improperly or using certain non-genuine parts.

The problem may arise from substandard work/repairs (not inline with Vauxhall's instructions/guidelines) on vehicles up to 10 years old. I think Vauxhall are doing things, if not above and beyond, pretty damn well considering. The issue is not necessarily of their making (although they could have been a bit more diligent with the design/quality of manufacture, but I would say that about Vauxhalls in general); if it was, then it would necessitate a recall.

Insurance will not pay out for maintenance issues. It will if it catches fire, but not for lack of use, especially when an issue has been identified and communicated.

TheFuzz Fri 23-Oct-15 16:26:29

Chances of your car having an issue is few and far between. Stop worrying and use it.

You are more likely to be involved in a RTA through normal use.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: