Talk

Advanced search

is this worth complaining about? suspected of shoplifting in JD sports. <classy>

(107 Posts)
TheBitchOfDestiny Thu 22-Oct-15 18:15:35

was in town with the 3 dcs yesterday. we had just been to the library and I had their books in the baby's nappy bag

oldest DC wanted to go in JD, so we had a wander round, it was packed, didn't buy anything, i just wanted to get out as I hate the place

the alarm went off as we walked out and a staff member who was stood near the doors shouted me to come back. I did so then he asked to search my bags. i was a bit taken aback, so I let him. obviously nothing was found. I hadn't bought anything from anywhere, so i think it was our library books perhaps hadn't been deactivated. I was really embarrassed as it was so busy, people were obviously looking at us and the bloke didn't even apologise.

thinking about it now I obviously knew I hadn't accidently stolen anything hmm so think maybe I shouldn't have gone back, or refused to let them search my bags. but imagine if I had ended up with security chasing me or something, or if they had called the police, I would have died of embarrassment.

I also cant help but wonder if I look like the kind of skank that would nick from JD sports (or anywhere) hmm

I told my friend today and she was horrified and thinks I should complain. i dislike the shop anyway, every time I have bought stuff from there (and have spent loads as have sneaker obsessed dcs) the staff are disdainful, seem to think they are something great and are usually far too cool to actually deign to serve you.

anyway, will put it to the aibu jury, should I complain?

WorraLiberty Thu 22-Oct-15 18:18:27

Complain about what?

The security guard did nothing wrong.

Do you really think you have to look like a 'skank' in order to steal from a shop?

OwlinaTree Thu 22-Oct-15 18:18:47

It is highly embarrassing I agree. I think if go with the thought that they were just doing their job when the alarm went off.

I find I get watched a lot more when I've got the buggy, I think security guards seem to be much more suspicious of buggies!

FourEyesGood Thu 22-Oct-15 18:19:17

No. The alarm went off; they checked your bag. You hadn't taken anything so nothing happened.
If you had refused to let them search your bags, you would have looked very suspect.
Nothing happened. No need to complain.

slicedfinger Thu 22-Oct-15 18:19:28

No. Really. They were just doing their job. They probably did the same to 50 other people that day. Obviously it would have been nicer if he apologised though.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Thu 22-Oct-15 18:20:10

You can say no to them searching your bags, btw. They have no power.

MsMarvel Thu 22-Oct-15 18:20:31

Security alarm went off, security guy did his job. No idea what you would be complaining about.

And if you had refused to let him search your bags, of course he would have phoned the police.

ephemeralfairy Thu 22-Oct-15 18:21:44

Heck, at least it wasn't Sports Direct... wink

I would complain. Be prepared for them not to give a shit though. Stress that it is appalling customer service, that you are a repeat customer but will now not be purchasing from them again and will be telling all your friends not to either.

If you use Twitter, complain on there.

minimalist000001 Thu 22-Oct-15 18:24:04

Yes I'd complain about the lack of apology from the guard. He delayed you and rifled through your bags. You were innocent. Also complain about the poor service

minimalist000001 Thu 22-Oct-15 18:24:28

Twitter

MistressMerryWeather Thu 22-Oct-15 18:24:35

Why do you hate JD sports so much?

WorraLiberty Thu 22-Oct-15 18:24:46

Complain about what though?

The OP triggered the security alarm, so the guard asked to search her bag.

What's the point in having alarms if they just ignore them?

An apology would have been polite, but pretty meaningless because why would he be sorry for checking someone hadn't stolen something, when they'd set the alarm off?

Passmethecrisps Thu 22-Oct-15 18:25:15

But what would the complaint look like?

"As I was leaving the shop the alarm went off so my bag was searched by the security guard. However, I don't believe I look skanky enough to be a shoplifter so he should have let me leave and searched someone wearing a tracksuit instead"

Your issue with the staff in the site is annoying but seperate to this

Axekick Thu 22-Oct-15 18:25:58

What's the complaint?

The alarm went off and he asked to search your bag...and you gave him permission?

Yeah pls tweet that!

minimalist000001 Thu 22-Oct-15 18:26:03

It would be appropriate to apologise though as although it is his job, he had wrongly stopped you and caused you embracement

YakTriangle Thu 22-Oct-15 18:26:52

I don't think you'd get very far complaining that the guy did his job. I'm sure it made you feel pretty crap and it would've been nice if he'd said 'sorry, but I have to check everyone' or whatever but that's it.

Passmethecrisps Thu 22-Oct-15 18:27:14

But he didn't wrongly stop her. The alarm went off as she left. That is fair dos really. I wonder if it was the library books which set the alarm off? Our library has wee electronic tags in them.

TheBitchOfDestiny Thu 22-Oct-15 18:29:27

ok fair enough. had never happened before and was just embarrassing smile

thanks

MistressMerryWeather Thu 22-Oct-15 18:30:24

It's not really embarrassing though? It's just one of those things.

You shrug, let the guy search your bag, remark about the silly alarms then don't give it another thought.

What's the big deal?

WorraLiberty Thu 22-Oct-15 18:30:43

I set the alarm off coming out of Morrisons once and it was the box of hair colour I'd bought.

The guy didn't even have to call me back, because I swung round and opened my bag...professing my innocence loudly grin

GruntledOne Thu 22-Oct-15 18:30:59

I've had that happen a couple of times recently when a security tag has been left in something I brought. Both times I turned back when I realised the alarm had gone off and looked for the security guy, not least so that I could thwart the nosy rubberneckers who start craning their necks hoping to see some dramatic arrest; plus, of course, it instantly defused any suspicion they might have. Both times the security guard was very pleasant and apologetic.

In your case the staff member shouldn't have shouted and the guard should have apologised, but apart from that I think he was just doing his job.

bloodyteenagers Thu 22-Oct-15 18:31:52

Really. Complain? Is this a wind up?

But then for about two weeks, every time I walked out of a store I set off the alarm. Security guard did his job and stopped me.

Really don't understand what the problem is.

Booyaka Thu 22-Oct-15 18:34:01

Happened to me before, there was an alarm inside my purse when I bought it and didn't find it for ages as it was in a bit I don't use'. Just stop when the alarm goes off and when the security guard approaches smile and say 'Hi, think one of my library books might have set it off'. They know it happens and if you're friendly and cooperative it's fine. They normally switch it off for you.

Passmethecrisps Thu 22-Oct-15 18:34:02

I would have been embarrassed as well actually but it isn't really rational.

It is, however, a great excuse for you to wait outside if the kids insist on going in for a look!

MistressMerryWeather Thu 22-Oct-15 18:34:44

Sorry x post!

As I said don't give it another thought OP, it happens all the time.

DS2 managed to sneakily grab a carton of juice in poundland yesterday and I didn't notice until we left.

I had to go back and aplogise for my thieving 2 year old. sad

Now that's bloody shameful. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now