Talk

Advanced search

To want to stab someone whenever I read the word "mumpreneur"?

(6 Posts)
SmellsLikeMiddleAgeSpirit Thu 22-Oct-15 12:21:29

Namely, the patronising twit who coined it.

I mean, how flippin' belittling and condescending. Can't a woman (the fact of her having children is totally irrelevant) just be an entrepreneur, or better still, a business woman?

Does anyone call Richard Branson or any other businessman who happens to be a father a 'dadpreneur'?

It's like, aww, look at her ickle happy face, having made a little bit of pocket money for the family, isn't she clever for a girl. Hope she's home in time to make her husbands dinner though.

Fuck. Off.

zeezeek Thu 22-Oct-15 12:37:04

Even more annoying the businesses that they profile about are usually something like cooking, sewing or fashion....thus feeding into the inherent sexism of the media!

InTheBox Thu 22-Oct-15 12:40:53

Yanbu. Outside of the fact that it's a very twee term, I often think women do themselves a great disservice with these sorts of issues. Take for example the concepts of 'baby brain' or 'raging bag of hormones' etc. It really sets the whole movement backwards or makes it appear as some sort of part time hobby.

hiddenhome2 Thu 22-Oct-15 13:05:32

Could it be referring to those dreadful FB sellers who try and flog their bits of shite 'crafts' to people? Also, the cupcake crowd? Ditto, the cardmakers?

YakTriangle Thu 22-Oct-15 13:15:56

It is a stupid and patronising word so yanbu.

MrsToddsShortcut Thu 22-Oct-15 13:37:45

I actually snorted at the idea of RB being a 'dadpreneur'.

Which really proves your point.

It's ridiculous.

Every now and again they seem to wheel these women out on Breakfast TV to talk about their cupcake industries. As you say, it's so patronising and the fact that they always focus on the home-bake/crafty stuff reinforces the 'soft' hobby idea. I'm not knocking the women themselves, obviously, good luck to anyone who can run their own business, but it's the way the media package them up into little rainbows and unicorns fluffy bunny Stepfordpreneurs.

Does Karren Brady get called a Mumpreneur? I'm guessing not as I doubt she'd stand for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: