Talk

Advanced search

to be gutted that term finishes on the 23rd December?

(137 Posts)
ddoherty Wed 21-Oct-15 19:22:50

The Nativity Play is on Tuesday 22nd. I was just going to keep DD off the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but she'd be gutted to miss the play.

I really think the 23rd of December is ridiculous. That's 9 and a half weeks after half term, with no holidays or inservice days.

This is my PFB so a shock to the system! She was so tired at half term it took the whole weekend before I had my girl back. Finishing on the 23rd seems a sure-fire way to have a grumpy, overtired 5 year old on Christmas Day!

AnyFucker Wed 21-Oct-15 19:24:10

That does sound very late.

Ledkr Wed 21-Oct-15 19:31:26

I haven't checked ours yet but that does seem late.
Dd is 4 and I wanted will keep her off for a christnas trip befire the hoardes descend.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Wed 21-Oct-15 19:32:54

I hope my lot finish as late. The week before Christmas is a grind when they're off, they're argumentative and fed up.

iwantgin Wed 21-Oct-15 19:32:56

When does she return in January ?

They usually get about two weeks off school, don't they ?

Shutthatdoor Wed 21-Oct-15 19:33:57

That is way later than around here tbh.

iwantgin Wed 21-Oct-15 19:34:24

Your holidays must be different to ours. Our half term starts this weekend here - xmas holidays start on 19th december - go back 4 Jan.

Funinthesun15 Wed 21-Oct-15 19:35:11

Haven't had half term around here yet. They finish for Christmas long before that too

GruntledOne Wed 21-Oct-15 19:35:26

Be grateful for all that extra time you will have for Christmas shopping, present wrapping etc without a nosy 5 year old around.

BrianCoxReborn Wed 21-Oct-15 19:35:33

My DD would love that. It's her birthday and she's always whinging that she's never had a fuss made of her birthday at school hmm Weird child.

Ours break the Friday before.

PandasRock Wed 21-Oct-15 19:36:12

That does sound late. One of mine finishes on the 16th (and that's late for her as it's usually the 14th at the latest) and the other on the 19th which is about right for her as she finds it difficult to wait between end of term and Christmas (special needs)

Axekick Wed 21-Oct-15 19:44:32

Ours finish the Friday before. Tbh the later the better for me!

The few days leading up to Christmas can be a bit of a nightmare. I would love the kids to break up on the 23rd

ShamefulUsername Wed 21-Oct-15 19:47:12

Ours finish on 18th, that does seem late.

WishIWasWonderwoman Wed 21-Oct-15 19:47:32

Is the Wednesday the last day of school or the first day of the holidays?

I would keep her off on the Wednesday if its a school day. Monday is probably nativity rehearsals so that may not work.

ddoherty Wed 21-Oct-15 19:48:20

They go back on the 6th January. I'd love to have her off the week before, to go and see the lights and do all of the Christmassy things we do.

ddoherty Wed 21-Oct-15 19:49:57

Wednesday is the last day. I am very tempted to keep her off, but have the feeling they will have their party that day. We'll see!

dementedpixie Wed 21-Oct-15 19:50:07

Ours always finish up around that date. I don't think I'd want them to finish up much earlier tbh

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 21-Oct-15 19:51:33

Scotland Op? I was quite surprised at the late start to the holiday as well. The day before Christmas Eve is really unusual.

wigglesrock Wed 21-Oct-15 19:51:43

Mine have always finished on the 23rd December - primary school. To be honest it suits me - they've a nice last week in school. Their nativity plays are around the second week in December. I get lots done, there's no mad rush, they've no homework for the last week, they see their friends. We do stuff after school. They're off next week for Halloween. Mine are 10, 7 and 4. Christmas comes nice and quick for them and then we're off until 7 January - loads of time for lying about, playing with toys, going to the cinema, eating copious amounts of selection boxes.

dementedpixie Wed 21-Oct-15 19:52:02

Ours finish up at the end of the day on the 22nd and go back on the 6th january

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 21-Oct-15 19:52:11

Are you in Scotland OP? Term usually finishes around the 21st/22nd up here. I think it's because we traditionally got an extra holiday at - and used to make more of a fuss of - New Year.

It's fine though - you'll get used to it.

dementedma Wed 21-Oct-15 19:52:13

Here in Scotland they usually finish late. It's good. They are way too over excited otherwise and drive you nuts.

dementedpixie Wed 21-Oct-15 19:52:24

Yes I am in scotland

TheGruffaloFish Wed 21-Oct-15 19:57:24

Ours finish lunchtime on the 24th! DS took a good week to recover at half term, I'm not looking forwards to Christmas sad

weebarra Wed 21-Oct-15 19:57:43

We're in Scotland too and my DCs fined on the 18th and back on the 5th. DS1's birthday is the 23rd so I'm glad he'll be off for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now