Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked at this price in Tesco

(25 Posts)
lemonbud Wed 21-Oct-15 18:34:11

It was a little child's baking set comprising one small very cheap plastic bowl containing a tiny plastic measuring jug and a small set of plastic shapes.
It cost an unbelievable 12 euro. I'm shocked that they'd expect anyone to pay that. Where on earth are they getting these prices from? shock

howtorebuild Wed 21-Oct-15 18:38:13

Europe?

lemonbud Wed 21-Oct-15 18:54:29

In Ireland, so if they're selling in the UK would probably be about £9. Ridiculous price.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 21-Oct-15 18:59:01

Is it with the toys? I find the prices of anything toy related to be much higher in the run up to Christmas. Makes sense, I know.

SueDunome Wed 21-Oct-15 18:59:08

They've stuck it on the shelf at that price so that, in a few weeks' time, they can reduce it to a more reasonable price but claim that it is half price or whatever. That way, it will probably fly off the shelves. It's typical sneaky Tesco marketing.

SaucyJack Wed 21-Oct-15 19:01:18

YANBU.

Funnily enough I've just been reading the Hudl thread about the trouble Tesco is in, and THIS ^^ is exactly why.

People don't go to Tesco to spend 8 quid on a baking set; they want to buy a set of cookie cutters for a quid. We tried to buy some cheap cutlery in there the other day as we had a load of people coming round, and the cheapest was £8.

Tesco seem to have confused themselves with John Lewis recently. Noone's buying it (literally). We're all off to Asda instead.

mileend2bermondsey Wed 21-Oct-15 19:03:04

Shocked? Really? I see loads of overpriced tat every day, I simply put back on the shelf and walk away. I'm certainly not 'shocked' by it enough to come home and make an AIBU about it.

ouryve Wed 21-Oct-15 19:03:56

It'll be priced high for the tat that it is so they can put it on at a "bargain" price, closer to Christmas.

Crazypetlady Wed 21-Oct-15 19:16:08

I find tesco really expensive, I also have a hudl that broke very early will have to find that thread.

TheCatsMother99 Wed 21-Oct-15 19:20:07

I'm another person who finds tesco far more pricey than other supermarkets. A weekly shop there will always be a minimum of £10 more than it might have been elsewhere. I don't shop there unless I don't have much of a choice.

Sniv Wed 21-Oct-15 19:20:57

Agreed, SaucyJack, Tesco seem to be trying to move their niche to be a bit more upmarket than Asda/Morrisons/Sainsburys.

They don't seem to realise that they just can't do that now they worked so hard to be known as the super ubiquitous, inescapable, megasupermarket that was going to drive the other ones bust with aggressive price wars. I'm always finding things more expensive than I expect in there and "Tesco quality" just doesn't have that luxury feel to it, does it? No one boasts, "I just picked up a few bits in Tesco". It's a rare one who leaps into the car to Tesco when they want to impress someone with fine dining or quality gifts.

EldonAve Wed 21-Oct-15 19:29:47

It's so it can be half price next week

Sainsburys have just done exactly the same thing

Youarentkiddingme Wed 21-Oct-15 19:33:36

I have to say I'm finding Tesco expensive ATM too. Just in general.
I do the bulk in Aldi but there are some things I need tesco for.

The past 6 weeks I've had the refund voucher because it's £1-5 more expensive than elsewhere.

Girlfriend36 Wed 21-Oct-15 19:34:29

Hudl thread? Eek have just bought one for dd Christmas present.

op YANBU you could probably buy something similar in Poundland!

SlightlyJaded Wed 21-Oct-15 19:37:44

The homeware in our Tesco has definitely lost its way. It's all Vintage style this, Retro style that and nice enough but completely overpriced for mass produced tat. I picked up a cushion the other day thinking DD would like it for her room. Stupid tiny thing with a Pug on it (photo style, not even stitched) and it was £28. Ridiculous.

DD's bed is, as a result, Pug-less.

dodgeballqueen Wed 21-Oct-15 19:54:37

Get thee to Aldi's Aisle's of Randomness this week and get this for a fiver instead:

bettyberry Wed 21-Oct-15 19:54:45

SlightlyJaded here... ASDA does it cheaper direct.asda.com/George-Home-Shaped-Pug-Cushion/002047930,default,pd.html

I've noticed it too and tbh even waitrose is doing some of their essentials products cheaper than tesco!

I'm flitting between waitrose, lidl and occasionally sainsbury's these days. I avoid tesco for that very reason. Overpriced, crap quality

dodgeballqueen Wed 21-Oct-15 19:59:32

When I used to live in Forren I'd gone home with an empty suitcase and stuff it full of kids clothes etc, but now I feel thoroughly violated every time I'm at the check out. Even Dick Turpin had the good grace to wear a mask.

dodgeballqueen Wed 21-Oct-15 20:01:08

'I'd come home' not 'I'd gone home'.

lemonbud Wed 21-Oct-15 20:04:50

Shocked? Really? I see loads of overpriced tat every day, I simply put back on the shelf and walk away. I'm certainly not 'shocked' by it enough to come home and make an IBU about it
I did put it back on the shelf and walk away and yes I was shocked by it, why the hell not, it's an outrageous price. What kind of things do you think should be on AIBU? it was obviously interesting enough for you to click it on and reply to it. confused

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Wed 21-Oct-15 20:40:57

It's Ireland though, so there is no Morrisons/Asda/Sainsburys. Or John Lewis. Or Waitrose even.

MrPorky Wed 21-Oct-15 20:46:03

I actually think the most "shocking" thing is that we expect all this plastic to be so cheap, buy far more than we need and treat is as (more or less) disposable.

switswoo81 Wed 21-Oct-15 20:56:03

Probably half that price in England. It's not called "treasure Ireland" for nothing by tesco. Their prices are shocking and that's before they up the price at the till.

lemonbud Wed 21-Oct-15 21:00:22

Rip off Ireland is another name. Usually shop in Aldi, but even Super Value is cheaper than Tesco.

VinylScratch Wed 21-Oct-15 22:05:06

It's probably the same price everywhere else but I saw this in there the other day and thought who in their right mind would pay a tenner for something that makes a minging looking tiny burger and fries. You could get it in McDonalds for 2 quid and get a toy too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now