Advanced search

Should Newspapers be banned from twitter? Also is twitter being unreasonable in general?

(14 Posts)
BareCubsHungry Wed 21-Oct-15 18:17:22

Im new to twitter, so in all likelihood I could be being unreasonable and woulds appreciate someone pointing out what Im going wrong.

I think its nice that there's a medium where I can interact with Peter Hitchens at 3 o clock in the morning but it bugs me that for newspapers-in an effort to insulate themselves from unsympathetic opinions perhaps- don't allow responses to their tweets to be viewed.

Surely this goes against the whole spirit of Twitter?

Also sometimes I am giving Katie Hopkins (who to be fair, doesn't mind negative tweets it seems) lifestyle advice so she doesn't come across as such a venomous bitch and I find I have run out of characters.

Did Twitter deliberately make the character allowance of tweets so brutally short as some kind of Mass Trolling exercise? It is so frustrating

wasonthelist Wed 21-Oct-15 18:24:37

Yabu on so many levels it's hard to know where to start.

CassieBearRawr Wed 21-Oct-15 18:57:36

List grin

wasonthelist Wed 21-Oct-15 19:05:06

You suggest banning newspapers from twitter
You appear to there is a "spirit of twiter"
You mention a person who thrives on controversy and should be ignored by everyone so she won't have a platform
Your observation about the length of tweets (character limit) is actually making me wonder if you're even serious ...........have I fallen for something?

wasonthelist Wed 21-Oct-15 19:06:09

Sorry - should read "appear to think"

ouryve Wed 21-Oct-15 19:08:27

I think Twitter isn't for you.

I use it as a quick way of scouring multiple newspapers - even have the local ones curated into a list, along with various traffic twitter feeds. It's very useful.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 21-Oct-15 19:09:38

You can see responses to tweets?

The character limit is the whole point of Twitter. It's to the point.

If you're not careful giving "lifestyle advice", you could find yourself on the wrong side of Twitter, or the cyber bullying laws.

BareCubsHungry Wed 21-Oct-15 20:11:59

yes wasonlist was serious. AND IN PARTICULAR ABOUT LAST POINT-i want to out wit Peter Hitchens but often find my efforts impeded for the want of a few more words.

you have fallen for nothing and instead of proving my intellectuality to a sneering snob I have been put in my place by you.

wasonthelist Thu 22-Oct-15 10:08:15

? So you asked if you were being U , I answered and now I'm the bad guy? Nice trolling, maybe twitter is for you after all.

putthePuffindown Thu 22-Oct-15 10:22:14

Part of the skill is in being concise. I find it increases my vocabulary as I search for the perfect single word. Or you could resort to swearing, that seems popular too grin

kali110 Thu 22-Oct-15 10:51:40

Shutthatdoor Thu 22-Oct-15 10:55:23

newspapers-in an effort to insulate themselves from unsympathetic opinions perhaps- don't allow responses to their tweets to be viewed.

Yes they do

BreconBeBuggered Thu 22-Oct-15 10:58:21

I can view responses to newspapers, and I am spectacularly thick at that kind of thing. What are you on about, OP?

BrendaandEddie Thu 22-Oct-15 11:03:30

you sound a bit nuts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now