Talk

Advanced search

To just want to buy one ...and not 3 so it feels like I haven't been ripped off

(12 Posts)
troubleinstore Wed 21-Oct-15 17:41:16

All of the Christmas stuff is coming out in the shops and it seems like the norm again is 3 for 2. I can never find a third thing to buy - sometimes one, sometimes 2 but never a third. I just want to pay the normal amount or 2/3rds of the cost without hunting round for something I didn't want in the first place. Just like BOGOFS - it's such a waste. I bought a Disney film today that's on BOGOF - but I only wanted 1 - just charge me £6.50 for the one perleese ....
(I know that this is not a first world problem but it is very wasteful)

AnyoneButAndre Wed 21-Oct-15 17:44:14

YAsooooooooNBU.

The worst thing about Christmas, bar none. Even worse than mince pies and Christmas pudding.

TheSkiingGardener Wed 21-Oct-15 19:35:55

Worse than the fact that this happens are all the people that run around going "I got SUCH a bargain, it was 3 for 2!!!!"

No, no you didn't.

KatharineClifton Wed 21-Oct-15 20:03:22

Oh yes, so much this! Woolworths used to make me feel WILD! I would spend forever looking for the third thing then have an inner tantrum and leave buying nothing. And they did it all year bloody round!

PHANTOMnamechanger Wed 21-Oct-15 20:06:17

I just get the 3rd thing and donate it to the local toy appeal/kids ward/womens refuge etc TBH - or shove it in the pressie drawer to come in handy one day.

BikeRunSki Wed 21-Oct-15 20:09:14

^ this ^, what PHANTOM said.

HackerFucker22 Wed 21-Oct-15 20:09:19

It can be useful for stuff you will use a ton of (wrapping paper, tags, gift bags) but I agree for the most part it's just a con. I did get reeled in with the 3 for 2 on Xmas tree decorations I know it's only October but I actually needed 6!! Honestly lol.

lljkk Wed 21-Oct-15 20:15:09

This drives me batty.
There's loads I can't buy because the only discount deal is "2 for the price of 1!" and I definitely only want 1. Not just gifts, but bags of crisps, bottles of shampoo, whatever. You pay extra if you only buy one so I look for a completely different brand with no offers so I don't feel like I paid over the odds.

I imagine they do it to actively discourage purchases of cheap stuff & channel us into buying the more expensive rubbish. angry

Twiceover Wed 21-Oct-15 20:15:32

I have twins. 3 for 2 is very little use.

lljkk Wed 21-Oct-15 20:23:02

ps: so I trot off to Lidl to buy most things instead, because they don't do ruddy BOGOFs.

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Wed 21-Oct-15 20:28:39

Its only wasteful because YOU are buying things you neither want nor need. Nobody is forcing you to. If you buy 2 to get a third free, you're spending twice as much as you wanted. You're not saving anything. It's a marketing ply to get you to spend much more. And you aren't being conned because you already know all this.

Just buy one. The sky wont cave in.

CashewNut11 Wed 21-Oct-15 20:33:38

Never done it myself, but I knew someone who would sell the extra 'thing' on eBay...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now