Talk

Advanced search

Flu vaccine - is it coincidental/psychological

(58 Posts)
AliceInUnderpants Wed 21-Oct-15 13:59:28

(sorry posting for traffic)

I had my yearly health check this morning and got my flu vaccination at the same time.
Now, two hours later, I have a rotten headache. I am sinus-y, achy, cold and tired.

Last year I felt rotten for a couple of weeks afterwards too, but can't remember how quickly symptoms came on.

Is it possible that I am reacting to the vaccine already, or is it just psychology or coincidental timing?

LurkingHusband Wed 21-Oct-15 14:00:47

Bit of both ?

Motherinferior78 Wed 21-Oct-15 14:20:10

The flu jab doesn't usually cause side effects. However, you may experience mild fever and slight muscle aches for a day or so. The flu jab cannot cause flu because there are no active viruses in the vaccine.
If you have what you think is flu after vaccination, it may be that you have caught a flu-like virus that isn't really flu, or you may have caught flu before your flu vaccination had taken effect.

SuckingEggs Wed 21-Oct-15 14:24:01

Coincidence. There are loads of bugs around. My practice dispensed me antibiotics for a horrible chest infection then the nurse gave me the jab then and there! The flu jab isn't live.

Therewasanoldladywho Wed 21-Oct-15 14:24:38

I got awful flu for the first time, right after my first flu jab. Was very ill because of asthma complications. Although I've been told many times it can't give you flu, I've never had the jab again.
YANBU

SuckingEggs Wed 21-Oct-15 14:24:49

Take paracetamol and lots of fluids. They should take the edge off anything.

hairbrushbedhair Wed 21-Oct-15 14:25:15

I dunno. The vaccine apparently can't cause those things...

But it has for everyone in my family who's taken it! And for months afterwards we don't feel 'right' Therefore we don't take it and im not giving it to DS

It's anecdotal - but that's our experience and Iv heard the same story over and over

gamerchick Wed 21-Oct-15 14:30:15

Well I can say there's something going about because both me and the husband are headachy , tired, cold and feeling rough. The headache woke me during the night and all I want to do is crawl into bed and the husband is asleep on the settee huddled up.

Neither of us have had any flu jab so I would say it's a coincidence based on how I'm feeling atm.

That said I've never had the flu jab so can't compare.

AliceInUnderpants Wed 21-Oct-15 14:31:05

I can't take paracetamol. Well, I can't take any more. I already take it 4-hourly, and tramadol. I can't take ibuprofen because of asthma. Is there anything else I can take?
I already had/have aches and pains, I have a chronic pain condition. But this is different.
I know they say it can't cause flu, I know it isn't a live vaccine. But this is only the second time I have had it, and the second time I have been unwell straight afterwards (though not sure if it was so sudden last time). I know it's anecdotal, but it does seem to be fairly common from what I see/hear.

Not sure what point of posting was really. Probably just to whinge sad

gamerchick Wed 21-Oct-15 14:33:53

You're better off with fizzy paracetamol than tablets, they seem to work much better when you're feeling rough.

WallToWallBastards Wed 21-Oct-15 14:34:24

I always feel quite shit for a few days after, so does my grandad. My arm is sore for weeks sad but having had the flu and pneumonia previously, I'm taking no chances.

Badders123 Wed 21-Oct-15 14:47:00

I would say its psychological or co incidental in that you have a virus and have happened to have the flu jab.
Can you take co codamol?
I find it very good, and you can take it with paracetamol or stagger it.

Badders123 Wed 21-Oct-15 14:48:34

And the flu jab cannot give you flu.
It's physically impossible. It's not a live vaccine which means it cannot provoke an immune response.
Lots of weird bugs around ATM.
Far more likely that you have one of those.

aginghippy Wed 21-Oct-15 14:49:50

I had the flu jab a few days ago, now I have a miserable cold. DP had no jab, but has the same cold. I blame DP, not the vaccine wink

laureywilliams Wed 21-Oct-15 14:50:26

Many babies/children have a temp after childhood immunisations, lots of parents give calpol routinely afterwards. We know its not the disease, its just a reaction.

Its not hard to imagine that something similar happens after the flu jab.

Many people report aches/pains after the flu jab. I have once read that this suggests a healthy immune response is happening (no don't have a link before anyone asks)

gamerchick Wed 21-Oct-15 14:51:37

You cannot take co codamols with paracetamol.

AliceInUnderpants Wed 21-Oct-15 14:55:37

Yep no co-codamol with paracetamol.
Can I take codeine? Or not, as that's the same family as tramadol?

Badders123 Wed 21-Oct-15 15:08:58

Sorry my mistake....I meant codeine.
You can take codeine and paracetamol together (co codamol)
blush
I have some codeine phosphate.
That's good stuff smile

Badders123 Wed 21-Oct-15 15:11:05

Codeine is an opiate isn't it?
I have some tramadol in the cupboard but haven't taken any since my op.
A quick google suggest you can take them together but are more at risk,of breathing problems, which as you have asthma is probably contraindicated.

limitedperiodonly Wed 21-Oct-15 15:17:03

I had it on Saturday and the nurse said I definitely would not get flu from it but I might get cold-type symptoms. I was a bit tired that day and woke up the next day very stuffy. Nothing too bad though. Arm sore for a few days but only when I touched the injection site.

gamerchick Wed 21-Oct-15 15:19:59

I really wouldn't take tramadol for how you're feeling, it won't help. Codeine is very nice but that won't help either. Co codamols will if you take 2 for the headache but honestly fizzy paracetamol is the most effective to take the headache away and make you feel more comfortable.

AliceInUnderpants Wed 21-Oct-15 15:20:15

I'm not normally affected by a cold. I'm that much in pain daily and on so many drugs that I just power through them wink
Just feel crap though. Have asked DC dad to pick them up early tonight.

gamerchick Wed 21-Oct-15 15:21:52

Or a codeine and a couple of fizzy paracetamol and you'll not care.

gamerchick Wed 21-Oct-15 15:23:37

Lemsip complete syrup is good for colds, it's like drinking battery acid but it works. The other syrups and decent but the green nasty one does the better job.

Notasinglefuckwasgiven Wed 21-Oct-15 15:26:36

I feel left out. Had my flu jab Monday and had absolutely no side effects at all. Had a viral infection two weeks before that was nasty but nothing from the jab. Dd is having it today wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now