Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To leave DS at home?

(50 Posts)
NotSoDesperateHousewife Wed 21-Oct-15 13:56:34

He is 8, 9 in March so not just 8. He's not well, but not drastically, just a stomach bug. I've just picked him up from school.

He's now happy enough tucked up in my bed watching TV. I don't want to have to go out but I have to get his brother from school, DS2 is 7 so far too young to walk home alone and my only friend who could have picked up for me isn't doing the school run today as its her birthday.

WIBU to leave DS1 for 15-20 mins whilst I nip to get DS2? My neighbours are always in next door, know us, and he knows to get help in (very unlikely) case of fire.

squoosh Wed 21-Oct-15 13:59:24

I'd do it.

InQuiteAPickle Wed 21-Oct-15 14:00:08

Watching with interest to see what the replies will be. I have an 8 year old, although 3 months younger than yours and I'm not sure what I would do.

dustarr73 Wed 21-Oct-15 14:00:47

He will be fine,just leave a mobile beside him and tell your neighbours.

KissMyFatArse Wed 21-Oct-15 14:00:51

I would leave him in bed and let him know you're only going to be 20mins. He's not well and probably won't have moved a muscle while your gone if he's sick.

BertrandRussell Wed 21-Oct-15 14:01:17

Yep. Go for it.

Northumberlandlass Wed 21-Oct-15 14:02:00

I did it at that age. No problem.

ScrumpyBetty Wed 21-Oct-15 14:02:31

If he's got access to a phone and he knows to dial 999 in case of (unlikely) emergency then I'd do it

lookingforsunshine Wed 21-Oct-15 14:04:47

Personally I think that sounds fine but all 8year olds are different-only you know your son! Is he happy to be left alone?
Has he ever been alone for a short time before?
Providing you don't think he is likely to become more unwell and is reasonably mature for 8, I'd do it. Maybe call him when you reach school to reassure yourself and maybe mention to the neighbours that you are popping out if you are worried.
If he's never been home alone he might panic a bit-can be bit scary first time.
I wouldn't consider bringing him with you.

MummaV Wed 21-Oct-15 14:05:09

I would do it.
He isn't likely move from where you leave him. A fire or other issue is highly unlikely to occur in the 15-20mins you are gone. If you were going out for a long time I wouldn't. However, as long as he is sensible and aware of what to do should an emergency occur, I'd leave him. Unfair to get him up and out when ill for 20mins.

Onthepigsback Wed 21-Oct-15 14:07:20

I'd say it's fine. But I know someone who left a sleeping baby for 5 mins to cross the road and grab other child from the school gate, literally 20m from her front door and got hit by a car and killed. It was a while before the right people realised the baby was alone in the house. So awful. But my point is that it's not just problems at home you need to worry about, especially if you are rushing to get back and your mind is elsewhere. Still I would do it. But make sure he has a phone on hand and knows how to use it.

Topseyt Wed 21-Oct-15 14:07:41

I would do it. He will be fine.

Tell the neighbours, and make sure he has your mobile number. Tell him not to answer the door, you'll be back in 20 minutes.

BertrandRussell Wed 21-Oct-15 14:08:47

Onthepigsback- but it would have been even more awful if she'd been carrying the baby!

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 21-Oct-15 14:10:04

He will he fine.

vomiting in the car or making him walk when he's not feeling great will only serve to make him feel worse.

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 21-Oct-15 14:11:15

I would leave him in bed with the house phone and tell my neighbour he's there.

Bupcake Wed 21-Oct-15 14:13:20

I'd ask one of the neighbours to sit in the house while you're gone, if possible - just in case he wants anything. But I agree he'll be on on his own if he has a mobile and the appropriate numbers, and doesn't answer the door.

museumum Wed 21-Oct-15 14:14:29

I would but i'd check with the neighbour first that they were happy to be his emergency contact for 15minutes.

Nataleejah Wed 21-Oct-15 14:15:30

Sure leave him.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 21-Oct-15 14:20:15

I'd do it, yes. Give him a phone, your mobile number and let the neighbour know that you'll be back in 20 mins.

diddl Wed 21-Oct-15 14:29:33

Has he been throwing up?

I'd ask a neighbour to sit if he might be sick I think.

What sort of a walk would it be for your 7yr old?

Tbh, 7 doesn't strike me as far too young to walk home.

spiderlight Wed 21-Oct-15 14:29:50

Yes, but let the neighbour know - they might offer to come and sit with him!

landrover Wed 21-Oct-15 14:31:32

I would leave him downstairs on settee though, (just in case of very unlikely fire), then he could easily get out xxx but yes I would leave him. x

spiderlight Wed 21-Oct-15 14:35:05

Our school, and several others I know of, won't let children leave unaccompanied until Y5 or Y6. A 7-year-old is going to be in Y2 or Y3.

NotSoDesperateHousewife Wed 21-Oct-15 14:35:15

7 yo definitely can't walk home, he has an after school club and they just won't let him as he's only year 3 and none of the children can until year 5.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Wed 21-Oct-15 14:37:46

I'd leave him too. Leave the phone next to him with your mobile number. He'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now