Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think PMQs is an absolute disgrace

(12 Posts)
InTheBox Wed 21-Oct-15 12:40:42

They shout, yell, mock and goad each other every single week. I know JC had tried to change the tone wrt to his questions from the public but he was obviously mocked for that. It still is and will always remain a bear pit. No wonder people have a negative opinion of politicians. They seem to enjoy every moment of it, they're all as bad as each other.

kissmethere Wed 21-Oct-15 13:22:35

It is a disgrace but at least they're showing their true in front of the cameras. I see them as bloating, gloating, jowely pricks. Not a surprise though is it?

kissmethere Wed 21-Oct-15 13:25:48

It always sounds like they're saying
"Fragrois! Fragrois!"
Which is quite fitting.

limitedperiodonly Wed 21-Oct-15 13:30:10

I like shouting, yelling and mocking. It's theatre and lasts an hour. Often the Prime Minister leaves after about 30 minutes.

It's not representative of Parliamentary debates at all. To see that there is the BBC Parliamentary Channel - if you can be bothered.

SecondMrsAshwell Wed 21-Oct-15 13:54:02

I used to have to watch it as part of my job and, frankly, I hated every second.

It had the tone of the playground about it. "Miiiiiiiii-iiiiiiissssss! He won't say what his policy is, it SO unfair."

AnnaLP Wed 21-Oct-15 13:58:46

Yesterday evening I was fortunate enough to be attending a function in the House of Commons - I had never been inside before despite spending much of my life in London.

I arrived early so went up to the public gallery (freely accessible when it isn't PMQs) and spent 20 mins watching the end of the Tax credits debate. It was fascinating - there was some jeering but fairly restrained.

If you have never visited it's a great experience simply from an historical perspective.

InTheBox Wed 21-Oct-15 14:11:24

limitedperiodonly I agree it's not representative of the usual Parliamentary debates in the slightest but considering it is the most popular they should change tack.

They seem to love all the goading and fierceness of it all. Despite appearances I think the speaker likes it too. He gets to tell off all the naughty MPs. But credit where it's due - he does often offer the platform to back benchers.

OTheHugeManatee Wed 21-Oct-15 14:15:54

I agree that it's boisterous, but YABU. A relative of mine recently graduated from the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University; he told me his tutors there thought PMQs was amazing, rowdiness or no rowdiness, and hold it up as an extraordinarily rare example of relatively transparent government. By all accounts there are few or no examples of a government institution, anywhere, that permits the leader of a parliament to be put on the spot like that by the opposition with no preparation or media management.

Be careful of what you want to get rid of, in case you regret it once it's gone.

Scoobydoo8 Wed 21-Oct-15 14:17:12

I think it's humiliating - it's so representative of our class and public school system with the yabooing that I bet it's the bit that foreign countries televise so they can mock (and feel superior to - deservedly so.)

lilmisslibrarian Wed 21-Oct-15 14:31:31

I attended PMQ with my modern studies class when I was at high school. Tony Blair was the PM then and it was horrid-they were all shouting at each other and talking over each other. The speaker of the house tried to keep them all quiet but it wasn't working. I remember thinking-'no wonder nothing gets done when they are all being a bunch of bullies'
We stayed for 30 minutes then left- the MP for our area showed us around parliament and seemed really embarrassed about it as we all trooped out looking quite shell shocked and believe me it takes a lot to silence some of the people I went to school with!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 21-Oct-15 14:33:13

It's like watching little babies squabbling in a nursery school.
My Dnephew acts more mature

wasonthelist Wed 21-Oct-15 14:37:02

Yanbu it is pathetic. I feel it reflects our legal system, adversarial, where the winner is the one with goadiest/nastiest lawyer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now