Advanced search

To ask GP about my torn labia 1 year later?

(31 Posts)
missinconspicuous Wed 21-Oct-15 08:49:33

Apologies for the 'beautiful' title.

I gave birth just over a year ago but I've been too embarrassed to go to the GP about this issue. The midwife delivering dd was going to give me an episiotomy but didn't do it in time. So when dd came out my labia unfortunately ripped and the stitches didn't hold. I had PND and didn't want the midwife looking down there despite knowing that something was wrong.

Anyway now I'm left with a torn labia and it looks (sorry) and feels like I have 3 clits. It hurts to wipe and to do anything sexual.

Have I left it too late to get it fixed?

Groovee Wed 21-Oct-15 08:50:57

Make an appointment at the dr X

noeffingidea Wed 21-Oct-15 08:53:12

Yes, of couse you can. There's no need to put up with that.

MaidOfStars Wed 21-Oct-15 08:54:37

I should imagine that labia are pretty easy to fix (assuming no complications). I can't imagine it even needs a GA?

Justmyluck1 Wed 21-Oct-15 08:57:39

Oh poor you op.

Book the appointment today and ask to see a female GP if possible. Of course you need this fixed. Keep posting for support. Xxx

Marshy Wed 21-Oct-15 09:04:44

Poor you!

Go along to the gp. No need to be embarrassed. Just take a deep breath and say what the problem is. I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Givemecoffeeplease Wed 21-Oct-15 09:07:38

I had terrible tearing and issues after my first labour. The GP and specialist she referred to were so brilliantly kind and gentle. I'm now much better, and very grateful to them both. Go to the GP, and request a woman if it would make it easier for you. I also had to explain that I was petrified of vaginal examinations after my labour and everyone was respectful of my fears. Good luck and you'll be fine.

missinconspicuous Wed 21-Oct-15 09:16:00

Thanks everyone. I didn't know whether I should just deal with it and accept that it's part and parcel of pregnancy/childbirth but I'm only 25 and don't want to live the rest of my life being nervous to have sex or exercise etc.

I'm just wondering how they will sort it because it's too late for stitches now the skin has healed isn't it?

BettyBitesBums Wed 21-Oct-15 09:19:15

Please go to your GP. It is absolutely something that needs sorting as its causing you pain and interfering with your quality of life. Your GP will have a look and then should refer you to a gynaecologist for consideration of a secondary repair. When you go to the gynaecologist they will examine you and explain the risks and benefits of operating on it again vs leaving it, what they think they will be able to achieve with the operation and what you should expect afterwards.

It is definitely not too late to get it fixed. Obviously ideally it would have stayed repaired at the time but because the perineum is a difficult place for healing they can often break down like yours did and then it is best to leave it a while anyway before attempting another repair.

I know it feels horribly embarrassing and you are worried you will go to the GP and not get help but this should not happen and it is definitely something that I would expect to be sent to a gynaecologist for an expert opinion. If you had an unhealed cut on your finger that meant you had a flap of skin getting in the way of daily tasks and causing you pain you would expect to be able to see a doctor and discuss options to help and this is no different.

MaidOfStars Wed 21-Oct-15 09:23:06

I'm just wondering how they will sort it because it's too late for stitches now the skin has healed isn't it?
I imagine it will involve recutting.

Achangeisadgoodasarest Wed 21-Oct-15 09:31:33

I had exactly the same problem OP, except I wasn't worried about showing it to the dr, I just wanted it fixed! My GP referred me to an obstetrician, he fixed me up nicely under a local. It made me very happy, and improved my confidence and libido no end!

Please go the the GP, you deserve to feel normal, and this can probably be fixed quite simply. Good luck l.

DizzyNorthernBird Wed 21-Oct-15 09:33:37

Whether or not it's too late shouldn't matter. It's causing you pain and needs sorting out. If it was a toothache you'd go to the dentist & get it looked at.

noeffingidea Wed 21-Oct-15 09:47:41

missinconspicuous no, it isn't part and parcel of childbirth. I had my first baby 27 years ago, I had some problems with my stitches and my GP told me to come back in the future if I wasn't happy with things.
It's basically just a 'repair', the surgeon will know what to do.

missinconspicuous Wed 21-Oct-15 10:50:25

I will book an appointment with my GP and hopefully get referred. I've just assumed that my sex life is 'ruined' forever but I need to pluck up the courage to get it fixed. Thank you all for giving me the final push I needed.

DinoSnores Wed 21-Oct-15 11:06:45

Do go. If you can mention to the receptionist that you will need a gynae exam (don't need to give more details), they might book a double appt for you to give you and the GP enough time.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Wed 21-Oct-15 11:10:37

Your sex life is not over!!

Two pals had similar... Sorted out quickly and painlessly!

ledgeoffseason Wed 21-Oct-15 11:51:11

I have just logged on, changed my password, changed my username (def been giving too much info away on mn recently) to answer you because I feel so passionately about this!

DEFINITELY get it checked out. And if gp not helpful, go to a different one. I had dreadful birth with broken down episiotomy, MRSA, all sorts of other infections - I was in a great but incredibly busy hospital and was fobbed off lots of time in a 'it's FINE, you'll be FINE' way - waiting list of months for post-birth trauma clinic etc. Episiotomy healed with fistula - not pretty or good.

Friend gave me a referral to a private uro-gynacologist. It cost me I think £100 - a lot of money I know. Horrifyingly, but brilliantly, it turned out that by coincidence she was head of the post-birth trauma clinic at the same NHS hospital and told me that my case was completely mishandled. She transferred me straight back into NHS. It is a very common surgery to revisit tears/episiotomy after birth and in fact they prefer you to wait for a while to let everything 'settle down'… at least six months but a year will be fine. Surgery was done as day patient, general anaesthetic, a few days of discomfort and being careful.

I feel really guilty that I accessed this top care privately, if only initially, as it's not an option for so many, but it was really about getting the information that I felt should have been clearer to women going through 'natural' birth… sometimes I feel they're so keen to get us going on natural births (for very good reasons obviously) that they fudge the many things that can go wrong but are easily fixed!

Lovely surgeon said it would end up looking like I had plastic surgery, it was all left beautiful grin and no problems since. Go for it!

ledgeoffseason Wed 21-Oct-15 11:52:41

devilsavocado says it all rather more succinctly grin

missinconspicuous Wed 21-Oct-15 16:01:12

I appreciate the effort you went to so that you could reply ledge grin thanks for sharing your experience and I'm glad you're happy with the results now. I've read that there's a risk of the scar from surgery being worse than the original tear but it's impossible in my case. My ex partner said he couldn't tell a difference but I know he was just being polite. There's clearly a tear when you feel or look. Not to mention the pain and soreness when I'm just doing day to day things like crouching down on the floor to play with dd etc.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Thu 22-Oct-15 01:38:11

Ah but ledge your message has much more content grin

Really hope you can get it sorted quickly missinconspicuous!

Plornish Thu 22-Oct-15 02:00:09

Please do go to the GP. If you had an injury from any other activity, e.g. running a marathon, I'm sure, quite rightly, that you wouldn't hesitate to go. As previous pp have said, go to a female GP if you prefer, and mention any concerns you have about physical examinations. Try to remember that doctors have heard it/seen it all before, and they will just be focussed on getting you the best possible outcome. flowers

Hayels Thu 22-Oct-15 02:04:09

Fuck that sounds painful.
Get yourself to the GP. You'll always regret it if you don't and wonder why you left it so long

missinconspicuous Fri 23-Oct-15 16:34:51

I'm at the doctors waiting to see the GP. I'm so nervous! I got used to people looking down there when I was pregnant and giving birth but now it seems so scary again. I don't know how I managed looking back! Will update afterwards. Wish me luck!

giraffesCantDoThat Fri 23-Oct-15 16:39:08

good luck

mummypig3 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:50:28

Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: