Talk

Advanced search

Would we be unreasonable to buy a single glazed flat in the North East?

(18 Posts)
notamum3210 Wed 21-Oct-15 08:33:11

OH and I are flat hunting at the moment - we've just started.
We're in a very good position (buying cash), first time buyers so no chain.
On Monday evening we went for our first viewing and we really fell in love. The flat has a really appealing layout (quite unusual for the area) and the area is perfect, extremely convenient for commuting without being too noisy.

The asking price is slightly above our budget but there have been no offers so far and I feel we may be able to negotiate.
The only thing we disliked is that the flat is single-glazed. We live in the North East and it gets very very cold. We wouldn't be in a financial position to replace the windows straight away with double glazing as this costs a lot but we can go for secondary glazing which is more affordable. Does anybody have this and is it effective? We're less worried about noise and more about warmth.

Also, is it bonkers to put an offer in on the first place you see? In this area, this is the only place on the market with the layout we like.

The flat has the added appeal of including most of the fixtures, fittings and furniture which means we could move in very quickly.

Thoughts?

Single glazing isn't that big of a deal for me - but I live in a city full of listed/conservation properties where you're not allowed to replace the original single glazing anyway! We've got a mix, and there's about a 2-3 degree difference in temp between our single and double glazed rooms.

Can't answer about secondary glazing (cos we're not allowed that either) but really good thick curtains (with interlining if possible) help a lot with keeping the heat in/cold out. And you'd still use them in the future.

acquiescence Wed 21-Oct-15 09:19:44

We moved to a new house around 2 years ago from an older Victorian terrace which was partially double glazed only. The new house has all new windows and doors, I was surprised at what a significant difference it made to the warmth and cosiness of the house. Our heating bills are massively reduced and the house is a lot bigger. I think it depends on how much time you plan to spend in- if it is fully single glazed it will be cold. Is it a period property? Of so then it is understandable that the previous owner didn't put in double glazing I order to keep it it in keeping with the period. If not, I would wonder why not and if there are other things that have not been up kept well. Good luck!

acquiescence Wed 21-Oct-15 09:23:07

Ps if you are cash buyers does this mean you are not taking out a mortgage? If so then this might be something that is worth borrowing a bit of money to sort out.

sparechange Wed 21-Oct-15 09:24:20

I've got a victorian house (directly under a major flightpath so there is a noise concern!) and half the windows are still single glazing. It is fine.

Personally I'd go for nice thick curtains over secondary glazing, and get those draft strips from B&Q to put around the frames to stop any excess heat loss through gaps.

MummaGiles Wed 21-Oct-15 09:28:41

If you love it then don't worry about it being the first place you've seen. And the single glazing issue is something you'll be able to sort as PPs have said.

Skiptonlass Wed 21-Oct-15 10:14:14

having lived in Scotland with single glazing (and no heating) I can tell you it'll be cold smile

But it's bareable. Thick drapes, accept you'll have a higher heating bill and get used to eating a lot of wool.

Personally I'd not put secondary glazing in - it's never as good as decent double or triple glazing. Wait until you can afford new Windows. Also make sure you get a company that will check the ventilation and airflow when you do get the glazing in - poor airflow = damp/musty.

Skiptonlass Wed 21-Oct-15 10:16:48

Wearing wool!!

ShamelessBreadAddict Wed 21-Oct-15 10:20:56

Like skipton I've lived in Scotland with single glazing and was cold but bearable.

As pps say, you would benefit from really good curtains and maybe you could borrow money for the windows eventually.

If you love it and can afford it I wouldn't worry at all that it's the first place you've seen tbh. We looked at soooo many places when buying. Was a monumental PITA. Would love to have loved the first place we saw!

DH2R Wed 21-Oct-15 10:22:18

We're not quite as far North as Skiptonlass was in her Scotland days and so find we don't have to eat much wool at all.

We have no double glazing in our 3 bed late 1800s stone house and we manage but our heating bill is definitely higher than most. We've only been here a year so I'm sure it'll vary but we've spent about £2k on heating so far.

Thick curtains, floor to ceiling, with interlining, in the living room and an open fire roaring away makes for very cosy evenings we couldn't justify if we had better insulation though smile

AnUtterIdiot Wed 21-Oct-15 10:22:27

We've just moved from a very cold single glazed Victorian flat (3 external walls, high ceilings) to a newbuild in East Anglia, which also gets very cold in winter. Our new house is easily 3-5 degrees warmer than the old one without the central heating on. The flat was perishing and that was in relatively central London.

I would do a lot of research into how you can insulate cheaply before you buy. I like a cool house, grew up in one, happy to layer clothes rather than heat etc but the flat was unbearable after the beginning of November.

Kittykatmacbill Wed 21-Oct-15 10:25:37

I don't think it's that much of an issue, as long as you can accept thick or thermally lined curtains (it makes an amazing difference!) and wearing a jersey and slippers in the house in the winter....
And I wouldn't worry about it being the first house either.

suzannecaravaggio Wed 21-Oct-15 10:29:46

Sounds as if you're becoming emotionally attached to the flat already, there will be other better flats,go out and see them!wink
You can't make an objective decision until you've viewed more properties.

Last time I bought I viewed around 20 properties ‎shock

suzannecaravaggio Wed 21-Oct-15 10:34:25

It's the biggest purchase you'll ever make
Don't just take the first one you see
Yes multiple viewings are time consuming but it's important to take your time and make a good choice from the many that are available ‎

redstrawberry10 Wed 21-Oct-15 11:13:48

Ps if you are cash buyers does this mean you are not taking out a mortgage? If so then this might be something that is worth borrowing a bit of money to sort out.

this sounds like the most reasonable solution. You will essentially be getting a very low interest loan to pay for the windows. Given mortgage rates now, you will pay very little on top of the actual cost of windows.

Price it out. Find out how much new windows cost. Add that + faff cost to the price. if you find something better for that price, go for the other place. Otherwise, go for this one.

redstrawberry10 Wed 21-Oct-15 11:14:27

I would probably see a few more places though. Just so I know what's out there.

nameinlights Wed 21-Oct-15 11:54:38

We made an offer on the first place we saw. After we made the offer we still went to see a few places but nothing was a good. We bought it and still live there now many years later.

QforCucumber Wed 21-Oct-15 12:04:23

i'm in Teesside, when I moved out of home my first rental as single glazed - it was a bit chilly but good curtains made a big difference.
Do look around, but if you love it enough then don't let something which can be changed in a few years put you off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now