Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be disgusted by the behaviour of this multi-millionaire son and boycott his products?

(103 Posts)
GiraffesCanDance1 Wed 21-Oct-15 06:41:17

I just read of the poor little girl who has died several years after being brain damaged after her parents car was hit by Antonio Singh Boporan who was driving 70mph in a 30mph zone and on the wrong side of the road confused

Since then it seems he's also been jailed for involvement in blinding someone in a bar brawl confused

http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/playboy-son-millionaire-who-left-5114017

Apparently he's heir to hundreds of millions of pounds from his parents company 2 Sisters. I'm going to boycott their products (Goodfellas pizza, Foxes biscuits) because although I know lots of companies may have bad associations, I find his behaviour really vile and don't want to line his pockets/inheritance.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 21-Oct-15 07:54:23

I agree with you but I think it would be hard to boycott as they are such a major producer.

He's a parent now, I wonder if he has any empathy for the parents of the little girl.

GiraffesCanDance1 Wed 21-Oct-15 08:47:44

The bar brawl which resulted in a person being blinded was recent, so I'm not sure he's learned much unfortunately. That poor girl and her family sad

BigChocFrenzy Wed 21-Oct-15 08:58:48

He sounds a sociopathic shit who will continue to cause serious physical harm to others.
I hope the inheritance is in a trust, so he cannot later influence how the businesses are run, how employees are treated.

pebbletime Wed 21-Oct-15 09:18:40

thank you for this OP.
I was unaware of this case.

I will boycott the products when I am aware of being able to do so.

I agree that he has not learned much, if he has been the causation of a death and a life changing injury.

Vile.

GiraffesCanDance1 Wed 21-Oct-15 10:09:33

To be honest I don't find Goodfellas pizza nice anyway, but I did buy Foxs biscuits last week so I will no longer do that.

batters Wed 21-Oct-15 10:23:56

I read about this earlier today.

I wonder how this young man's own parents feel about his actions? They've released a statement, but he hasn't. Interestingly, it's been reported he could face a retrial.

GiraffesCanDance1 Wed 21-Oct-15 10:26:46

I read the compensation paid is by the insurance company, so despite all the wealth they aren't paying from their own funds.

GabiSolis Wed 21-Oct-15 10:35:03

I think this will be almost as difficult as the Nestle boycott, but I will certainly not consciously buy any of their brands.

Nasty vile cretin does not even begin to cover it. I hope his parents are proud of raising such scum.

RIP little Cerys.

ENtertainmentAppreciated Wed 21-Oct-15 10:38:10

I hope he does stand trial for her death because it was ultimately the result of his dangerous driving. He's learned nothing.
Thank goodness the law's been changed.

After the first crime his parents set up a charitable foundation and involved him in it. It hasn't changed his behaviour though.

I don't judge his parents, it's mostly likely that he's caused them some awful suffering too.

OTheHugeManatee Wed 21-Oct-15 10:43:41

YABU. The man in question is clearly a profoundly unpleasant and amoral individual, but it wasn't his parents that committed the crime, it was him. Boycotting his company is unlikely even to impact much on his parents; if their company starts losing money they'll probably just fire a few employees. Do you really want to see Goodfellas Pizza employees being fired, just so you can feel a bit righteous about someone who won't even be affected by your actions?

And even if a boycott would have a direct effect on him (it won't) rather than his parents' employees, it's not up to a load of online vigilantes to punish him - it's up to the legal system. Personally I'm not keen to have the rule of law supplanted (or even supplemented) by moral panics whipped up on the internet. There is too much potential for that kind of mob justice to be misapplied in incredibly harmful ways.

GiraffesCanDance1 Wed 21-Oct-15 10:44:58

Entertainment I do judge his parents - they have appointed him and employed him in their companies. He's a director, they can't be that ashamed. The family had a six year legal battle for compensation too sad they own Harry Ramsden fish and chips so there's another one to boycott. They aren't as big as nestle, I'll find it easy to boycott them.

manicinsomniac Wed 21-Oct-15 11:15:43

I haven't heard about the story but how can you possibly drive 70 in a 30 and put a little girl into a coma who then subsequently dies and not end up in prison for a very long time?! I can't see how he was out and about and free to then blind another man! That's awful.

GiraffesCanDance1 Wed 21-Oct-15 11:24:12

Manic she was brain damaged and paralysed, he was given 18 months I think but only served six months. Now that the little girl has died her parents want him to be retried for causing her death.

Scremersford Wed 21-Oct-15 11:40:48

I'd support a petition for a retrial (I'm pretty sure I don't eat any of 2 Sister's unhealthy, crappy products). I'm sick of seeing criminals make a mockery of our justice system, just because they have access to millions of pounds to defend themselves. e.g. Ched Evans.

SistersOfPercy Wed 21-Oct-15 11:54:05

I have a friend with a DS who was injured as a child by a man who was charged with assault. Tragically he died a couple of years later and the coroner concluded the injuries suffered as a child were contributory. Man was retried and found guilty of manslaughter, though sentence was a paltry(have changed some slight detail here) so it can happen and in this case I hope it does.

I did wonder though, and I don't mean this question to be insensitive, I saw on the news that Cerys Dad had been given a £5million lump sum for her care with an ongoing figure a year. I appreciate the yearly sum will stop but I'm assuming the £5 million will remain with him? I had it going through my head that the money would most likely have been used to buy an adapted house for Cerys and how distressing it would be for him to have to leave that now if a portion needed to be repaid.

PrivatePike Wed 21-Oct-15 11:54:56

YABU. I agree with Manatee.

fearandloathinginambridge Wed 21-Oct-15 11:59:33

If I had family employed in these companies I wouldn't want to see them lose their jobs as a result of a boycott. I think YABU.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Wed 21-Oct-15 12:03:31

he is absolutely fucking vile. But I don't quote see how boycotting will do much to punish him, it will punish his parents and more importantly their many many employees. who might also have their own handicapped children to care for

I agree his parents must have shed a fair few tears as he really brings shame on them

and tragic story, just....

MissMarpleCat Wed 21-Oct-15 12:04:13

He should be in prison imo. What a piece of shit. Those poor parents sad

SlaggyIsland Wed 21-Oct-15 12:08:07

When your behaviour has caused the death or permanent injury of not one but two people, it's not a coincidence. Vile, vile person. I'll be happy to boycott their shitty junk food.

Fissues Wed 21-Oct-15 12:16:14

Don't agree with those calling it vigilantism. No one is obligated to purchase products from a certain company so why would boycotting them be an act of vigilantism confused

IKnowRight Wed 21-Oct-15 12:22:23

I understand your sentiments OP, I really do, but it will be the people that work for those companies that suffer. Also, 2 Sisters produce supermarket own label goods as well so it may not be as easy as you think to boycott them.

squoosh Wed 21-Oct-15 12:27:32

Choosing not to buy a particular brand can be considered an act of vigilantism?

Suuuuuure.

KatharineClifton Wed 21-Oct-15 12:44:38

2 Sisters are a major employer in my area of high unemployment. You are also supporting these workers when you buy 2 Sisters products.

RIP Cerys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now