Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

nuisance calss aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

(35 Posts)
zzzzz Tue 20-Oct-15 14:25:10

Ok this number has been calling me roughly every half an hour or so ALL DAY. I pick up, the line goes dead. ONCE someone asked for my husband and when I said he was at work THE LINE WENT DEAD.

ONCE I heard a very faint voice say hello.

I have called Sky who have offered to bar the number for £3 a month WTF angry

who are these people?

why are they playing with my mind?

AIBU to think that it is all a plot for sky to squeeze another £3 out of me a month? Does this happen to everyone?

How many £3 do you have to spend to get some peace.

AIBU to be thinking of living off grid now forever.

Scootergrrrl Tue 20-Oct-15 14:27:11

Are they calling you on a landline or a mobile? If it's to your mobile, you can download a silent ringtone and assign it to that number so they don't disturb you. Annoying fuckers though!

Stillunexpected Tue 20-Oct-15 14:28:52

Is the number actually coming up on your phone? You can Google to see who ti belongs to, call them up and give then hell!

zzzzz Tue 20-Oct-15 14:29:47

Landline.

I may be slightly more sensitive because ds is scared of the phone ringing.

It's been a looooooong day.

Why do they do this????

zzzzz Tue 20-Oct-15 14:30:29

I'm not calling them it's an American number!

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 20-Oct-15 14:32:34

call blocking handset

I have this, (it's probably cheaper elsewhere) blocks international and withheld number if you want it to, and you can block specific numbers (basically it doesn't ring, but they can still leave a message).

It's not as good as properly blocking numbers but it stops the phone ringing all day.

RoseDog Tue 20-Oct-15 14:33:33

My mum had a similar problem, she bought new phones that block all calls from with held numbers, only let calls straight through from saved numbers and anyone else has to give their name after a few rings, it then connects to my mum who can accept or reject the call...she now feels rejected because she isnt getting calls all day long!

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 20-Oct-15 14:33:41

oh and I'm assuming you're TPS registered?

Pixi2 Tue 20-Oct-15 14:35:19

Do you use your landline much? I got so tired of marketing calls on maternity leave 6years ago that I turned the sound off on the landline. It's be blissfully peaceful ever since.

SistersOfPercy Tue 20-Oct-15 14:35:34

Raptor has the solution. Those call blocking handsets are pure heaven, and if you don't receive calls from outside the UK from friends or family you can just block all overseas calls anyway.

EponasWildDaughter Tue 20-Oct-15 14:36:04

YANBU.

B bloody T went through a spell of ringing up every weekday and asking to speak to DH.

Every day i would say he's not here and wont be till about 7pm. Every day i'd ask what it was about, and they'd say they wouldn't speak to me about what ever it was because he is the account holder.

In the end i shouted ''Fair enough but stop bloody ringing up every day when i've told you 5 times he's not HERE during the day ....'' and slammed put the phone down.

They stopped, to be fair, but FGS!

(oh and all it was to try to flog us more stuff on talk talk tv)

zzzzz Tue 20-Oct-15 14:36:30

oh and I'm assuming you're TPS registered?

eh?

blush

I just kind of pick up the phone and dial, or answer when it rings....it has never been a "thing" before.

Why do people phone you and put the phone down?

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 20-Oct-15 14:38:37

Telephone preference service

It stops the majority of calls but some will still get through

register here

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 20-Oct-15 14:40:45

a lot of them are autodialling with a computer, so if you pick up but all the operators are busy it just hangs up on you. So it's not a person hanging up (that makes it worse really).

zzzzz Tue 20-Oct-15 14:41:15

perhaps they will get tired of it soon?

SistersOfPercy Tue 20-Oct-15 14:42:47

TPS has always worked for me and I get very few calls on the home phone (which are blocked by the BT handsets anyway). You will get people on here though who TPS hasn't worked for so I think it can be a bit hit and miss.
You can also register mobile numbers to TPS.

If you are plagued by them on iPhone and aren't too tech savvy you can block their numbers thus:

Phone > Recents > click the little 'i' next to the number that has called you > scroll down > Block this caller.

Repeat for all nuisance numbers and MIL's
grin

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Tue 20-Oct-15 14:44:37

have you googled the number? (I'm getting overinvested now)

There are websites that list nuisance callers, and you may be able to contact them to get removed off their call list.

tbtc20 Tue 20-Oct-15 14:53:48

I rarely answer the landline these days.

FIL calls it sometimes and always gets my stock bored or impatient response before I realise he's an ACTUAL REAL PERSON!

Jellytot321 Tue 20-Oct-15 15:01:09

Buy a whistle and blow it very loudly down the phone when it happens again. That always stops 'em grin

zzzz - I think they are automated diallers, from call centres - they dial your number and, when you pick up, they put you through to an available operative. If there's no-one free, it just hangs up.

Not that knowing what's happening makes it any less bloody annoying, of course.

SistersOfPercy Tue 20-Oct-15 15:12:51

Please dont blow whistles down the phone.
For one the GMP advise against this:

www.gmp.police.uk/Live/nhoodv3.nsf/section.html?readform&s=2B1D9D0981CB43D580257961003F81C2

And for 2 it could cause the person on the other end hearing damage. A woman in Germany was fined £650 for taking this course of action. As the caller has your number and quite possibly your details as well I wouldn't like to take the chance of being sued for damages.

kissmethere Tue 20-Oct-15 15:16:44

With Virgin media we pay for a caller ID. Money well spent as I was answering the phone up to 10 times a day. I just mute it now.

Topseyt Tue 20-Oct-15 15:17:54

Jellytot321, my Dad used to do that. grin

He was a PE teacher when he was a young man. It was his football referee's whistle and it lived beside our phone for many years.

FruVikingessOla Tue 20-Oct-15 15:23:34

"perhaps they will get tired of it soon?" Sadly, no they won't - most of it is automated anyway.

A few years ago, thanks to some lovely MNers giving similar advice, I registered with the TPS (already mentioned upthread).

It's worked very well - no constant and frequent calls. The only thing the TPS can't regulate is calls coming in from overseas (so I believe). But the calls have diminished to very few now.

Also, we have caller display plus answer phone, so we have two ways to check on calls before we decide to pick up.

zzzzz Tue 20-Oct-15 15:54:29

It's an overseas number 00186062845. Mystifying as to how they got our number in the first place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now