Talk

Advanced search

Its not confidential information for a company to disclose if they pay the living wage

(6 Posts)
Marue Tue 20-Oct-15 13:54:50

I'm trying to up my ethics. Now looking at a few big purchases and I keep emailing companies to ask if everyone earns the living wage but I just keep getting replies that its confidential. Just a cop out right?

wasonthelist Tue 20-Oct-15 13:57:06

Yes a cop out. Like any job advertised without wages/salary = as low as you will work for (subject to legal min)

Gottagetmoving Tue 20-Oct-15 13:58:50

Definitely a cop out. All they have to do is confirm that no one is under the Living wage. You are not asking for a list of individuals salaries.

Sighing Tue 20-Oct-15 14:24:23

Absolutely a cop out. Another way of saying 'no' or 'hr don't know what that is'.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 20-Oct-15 14:27:36

I think it's a reasonable assumption that if the reply is anything other than, "yes" than the answer is "no"...

AgentProvocateur Tue 20-Oct-15 14:44:04

Some may pay their staff the LW, yet not be an "accredited living wage employer" (who are listed on the LW website. To be accredited, all subcontractors - eg cleaners - need to be on a LW too. If they're midway through a cleaning contract, they're unlikely to retender. It's a minefield!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now