Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be concerned that Dr could not find my cervix?

(32 Posts)
Tallyloolah Tue 20-Oct-15 08:10:45

Went to doctors yesterday to have a coil fitted...unsuccessfully! Doctor tried with a couple different speculums etc to find my cervix with no success (she did find it with her finger but she needed a clear view with the speculum to put the coil in?)

I've got to go back in two weeks for another attempt and hope that its easier to find, but I am concerned especially as less than 6 months ago I had a smear with no issue. Is there something wrong with me?

Purplepoodle Tue 20-Oct-15 08:13:57

no some peoples cervix can sit high and far back at certain times of the month

Snozberry Tue 20-Oct-15 08:15:47

Some people just have a higher cervix than others and it also changes throughout your cycle, it's higher around ovulation

ChipInTheSugar Tue 20-Oct-15 08:17:05

My GP couldn't get to mine either for coil fitting. I went to a sexual health clinic instead where the doc who trained my gp worked and he managed no problem with a longer speculum. Cervixes are sneaky little blighters!

FlibbertigibbetArmadillo Tue 20-Oct-15 08:19:27

My doctor made me book my coil fitting for when I was on my period as she said this made everything easier. Maybe you could try that?

Gatekeeper Tue 20-Oct-15 08:19:53

I have a 'hunt the cervix' model- some times it's there and other times reluctant which is fun at smears. Mine is a retroverted bloody awkward one though

dalmatianmad Tue 20-Oct-15 08:21:21

I have problems every time! My cervix sits really high/far back.
Please don't worry!

cardibach Tue 20-Oct-15 08:22:07

Mine seems to be a bit shy too! And wh n they do find it fir a coil fitting it needs local anaesthetic injected into it to allow access. Fun.
On the upside, apparently I'll never have a prolapse...

Tallyloolah Tue 20-Oct-15 08:23:05

I had the implant out a month ago (going for copper coil as no hormones, they don't see me well!) so timing it for my period at the moment is tricky as its not settled down, the implant removal seemingly induded a random one. Glad to know I am not the only one, was quite worried!

LunchpackOfNotreDame Tue 20-Oct-15 08:41:29

I always thought coils were fitted when you were on your period because the cervix is low and open

Tallyloolah Tue 20-Oct-15 09:06:08

The doctor said when I booked the appt that some doctors prefer you to be on period simply because its pretty much assured you're not pregnant.

bumbleymummy Tue 20-Oct-15 09:40:19

I've had this a couple of times when other times it has been absolutely fine. Try not to worry. As others have said - it's probably just a tricky time of your cycle!

Imakethebestgravy Tue 20-Oct-15 09:52:56

I've seen Gynae registrars fail to find it and have to call a consultant in - definitely not something to be alarmed about.

VocationalGoat Tue 20-Oct-15 09:57:28

It's not so cut and dry. Just because we all have the same anatomy doesn't mean it's all cut from the same cloth. Mine is very hard to 'find' even by experienced midwives. I have a tilted cervix and these are tricky buggers. Nothing's wrong with it. It's just tilted. I didn't know this until I had babies.
GPs are not gynaecologists and if you ask your GP how many coils he/she fits per year, it's not many. So although your GP is fully trained to insert coils, your GP does not fit coils often.
Don't be so hard on the GP.

UterusUterusGhali Tue 20-Oct-15 09:58:40

A consultant obstetrician failed to find mine when I was 41+ weeks pregnant.
No reflection of him as a physician.
I've got a snidey cervix.

Good luck with the coil fitting though!

bumbleymummy Tue 20-Oct-15 10:01:41

Sorry, but grin at 'snidey cervix'. Great username too!

Tallyloolah Tue 20-Oct-15 10:34:07

VocationalGoat I wasn't being hard on the GP at all! Just relaying what was said to me and what happened.

roofio87 Tue 20-Oct-15 10:48:22

Another one here with a high up/far back cervix, but I did have a coil successfully fitted 5 weeks ago at a coil clini, they were great and it took no time at all.

ShowOfHands Tue 20-Oct-15 10:56:11

Tally, don't worry, I don't think anybody else thought you were being hard on the GP. You sounded factual and a bit concerned about whether something is wrong.

Obviously, as other people have demonstrated, it's a fairly common problem. I have a shy cervix too. The time of the month might make all the difference. If not, I had success at a family planning clinic where they were more used to tricksy cervixes.

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Tue 20-Oct-15 12:36:11

I have, more than once, been complimented by Drs on my pink, healthy cervix, <preens>, <unhelpful>

OP, it will be hiding there somewhere or else your womb would be falling out! Don't worry!

Tallyloolah Tue 20-Oct-15 13:54:28

grin Yeah I know Left, I've given birth twice it's in there somewhere smile

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Tue 20-Oct-15 14:07:14

I saw my cervix on the screen when I went for a colposcopy. "Would you like to look at your cervix?" are not words I ever thought I'd hear.

There is no point to this comment, other than it's not something that often comes up in conversation.

I didn't know that cervixes (cervices? how does one pluralise cervix?) could move though.

Vagndidit Tue 20-Oct-15 14:14:32

They couldn't find mine in the hospital when I was in labour and my waters had broke. There was an ongoing debate whether I was a fingertip dilated or 5 inches confused Stellar American healthcare!

Sidge Tue 20-Oct-15 14:47:02

It's cervices Allmybestfriends smile

Yup, quite a few women have cervices that go AWOL. They're up there, just hiding!

I find them eventually (I'm a practice nurse, I don't go looking for fun! grin ) and find that having the woman lay flat helps, as can putting a pillow or hands under your bottom. This is especially helpful if a woman has a tilted cervix.

bumbleymummy Tue 20-Oct-15 15:40:22

That's quite a difference Vagn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now