Talk

Advanced search

To think Scotland should have won.

(57 Posts)
flyrobynfly43 Mon 19-Oct-15 16:59:16

I don't blame them for being angry.
A crazy, last-minute, wrong decision cost them the match.

I don't blame Joubert for running off! (he's probably still running) grin

flyrobynfly43 Mon 19-Oct-15 17:00:47

Oh and I'm not Scottish.
Even so, I was gutted for them. They so deserved to win.

ineedabodytransplant Mon 19-Oct-15 17:03:01

We woz robbed. Bastards!!!!

JassyRadlett Mon 19-Oct-15 17:06:16

Bad reffing throughout, which makes it tough to know how it would have gone (even given that the majority disadvantaged Scotland - it's hard to know the knock on effect of any decision really).

But very, very heartbreaking for Scotland in the last 30s.

Not great from Joubert either in reffing or running off (but I might have run too if someone lobbed a bottle at me).

Mummylin Mon 19-Oct-15 17:06:25

I'm not Scottish either, but in this house we also think they were robbed. Very unfair we felt.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 19-Oct-15 17:07:02

Agree, it was a very unfair decision, that last penalty. The Ref is normally excellent, but on this he did make a poor decision. He was wise to run away. grin

No home team in the semis, sad! sad

Asteria36 Mon 19-Oct-15 17:07:27

The man should be struck off from refereeing further matches, the higher level ones at the very least. He completely ignored the late tackle and then moments later dishes out a penalty on something he doesn't even have verified. He showed his guilt when he pegged it off the pitch. What a monumental cockwomble.

flyrobynfly43 Mon 19-Oct-15 17:10:10

Run Joubert Run!
blogs.virginmedia.com/files/9514/0447/4589/ForrestGump-Running.jpg

CoraPirbright Mon 19-Oct-15 17:12:52

Absolutely disgraceful! It was like he had already made the decision who was going to win and no amount of the Scots brilliantly proving otherwise was going to make him change his mind. Hope he doesn't have any plans to venture north of the border any time soon. Twat angry

goddessofsmallthings Mon 19-Oct-15 17:17:15

Scotland were magnificent and deserved to win.
It was a thrilling game played by an amazing team who were robbed of what should have been their advancement to the semis.

BlueJug Mon 19-Oct-15 17:47:58

Agree OP - it was pretty bad.

CalonDu Mon 19-Oct-15 17:55:35

YANBU. High emotions in this house watching a visibly devastated Vern Cotter trying to hold it together in the post-match interviews. And surely that has to be the end of the ridiculous 'So, losing captain, are you very disappointed?' questions from the ITV reporter. If Greig Laidlaw had flattened him, I wouldn't have blamed the guy.

TheSnowFairy Mon 19-Oct-15 17:59:42

My Scottish husband has tickets to the semi's - if they'd won he'd have been watching Argentina v Scotland.

Gutting. And agree with Calon re Laidlaw's interview - poor guy.

flyrobynfly43 Mon 19-Oct-15 18:35:16

I would imagine that winning in such a manner has taken the shine off the Australian win somewhat.

flyrobynfly43 Mon 19-Oct-15 18:36:08

Unless they are thick-skinned enough not to care.
They've got to the semi's and that's all that matters? Who knows.

Toadinthehole Mon 19-Oct-15 18:38:24

Meanwhile down in the Southern Hemisphere, a more technical and less emotional analysis (from the NZ Herald):

Scotland were the architects of their demise. Their use of a long throw for the final lineout, in heavy rain, was the first crucial mistake. Their failure to secure the ball cleanly was the second big error.

and

Rugby is full of what can only be described as subjective decisions and unfortunately they often decide big matches. The later they occur in a game, the more they hurt because there is a lack of time for the injured party to come up with a response.

and

Scotland, who played way beyond their reputation, needed to take out the variables and this included minimising the referee's influence. They had the winning of this game in their own hands. They blew it.

The ref ran off because he needed the toilet. He also reportedly got hit by a bottle.

Well done Scotland, and commiserrations, but your fans need to accept this with good grace. Rugby is full of 50/50 calls and if one goes against you in a game that tight, you cannot say you "deserved" to win.

CalonDu Mon 19-Oct-15 18:39:54

If you mean, 'the ref was pissing himself', then... yes.

expatinscotland Mon 19-Oct-15 18:41:09

Joubert is a cunt.

SurlyCue Mon 19-Oct-15 18:42:24

not Scottish here but totally agree. the refereeing was blatantly biased! I don't know much about rugby but surely there has to be some sort of official complaints process to complain about that ref?

flyrobynfly43 Mon 19-Oct-15 18:43:50

I usually go along with the accept it with good grace school of thought.

But in this instance, I think the Scottish team and their supporters were right to feel (and voice) their annoyance with the ref's crappy decision.

Toadinthehole Mon 19-Oct-15 18:44:27

Scotland bodged their own line out. When that happens and play gets a bit scrappy, it is very hard to ref. If you want to beat any of the 4N or 6N teams you cannot afford to let such a thing happen at that stage of the game.

And jeepers - Scots rugby fans are getting an easy ride for their reaction.

Keeptrudging Mon 19-Oct-15 18:46:34

Both teams 'deserved' to win in a way that was absolutely unambiguous. It was neck and neck, both gave it their all and I'm gutted that a great game ended like that. Yes, I'm very sad that Scotland didn't get through, but I'm also a bit sad for Australia getting their 'win' like this. Both teams deserved better.

expatinscotland Mon 19-Oct-15 18:50:02

'And jeepers - Scots rugby fans are getting an easy ride for their reaction.'

They are? There were no reports of riots or violence or fights from last night. hmm

JassyRadlett Mon 19-Oct-15 18:55:29

Joubert's performance is being reviewed, just like after all matches.

I'm not sure the penalty-or-scrum decision was completely clear cut, even on the replay. And the TMO isn't allowed to be used for this sort of thing. Heaven only knows why....

I think his sprinting off the pitch just inflamed everything. Would be interested to know whether a bottle was really thrown.

derxa Mon 19-Oct-15 18:59:46

It still hurts today. Can't believe it. I don't know enough about the rules to know about this decision but if big Gav Hastings puts his head above the parapet to declare his disgust it must have been shocking. He is apt to lay into the Scottish team for their failings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now