Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fair rides and pregnancy?

(14 Posts)
CloudsofBrick Mon 19-Oct-15 13:32:08

I'm going to the fair next week with my little boy who's 3. I'm normally first on all the rides and he's a proper little thrill seeker. However, I'm now 11 weeks pregnant so was planning on just popping onto the small, kids rides with him - you know, elephants that go in the air and spin at 3 mph. And the helter skelter of course!

I'm not going to go near anything jerky or fast or even the dodgems (boohoo! sad)

However my OH is saying I should stay off everything. I think he's being over cautious and there's more chance of me being hurt if the dogs pulled me over on our walks. Thoughts?

Twowrongsdontmakearight Mon 19-Oct-15 13:35:27

Please don't! It's only anecdotal but my step mum blamed the teacup ride for her miscarriage. Probably nothing to do with it but I'm very superstitious!

MaidOfStars Mon 19-Oct-15 13:40:31

I should imagine that rides with no G force and no tight tummy restraints are fine?

Welshmaenad Mon 19-Oct-15 13:42:28

It's up to you but I'd feel perfectly safe going on the kiddy rides. At 11 weeks your baby is not only tiny but still tucked in your pelvis and well protected.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 19-Oct-15 13:43:22

The rides will have a sign on saying not for...pregnant, injured, unwell... If they are unsuitable.

If they don't have tummy restraints or signs, I would judge the risk to be minimal.

It's not like the high speed ones at a fixed location. Alton towers style things.

captainproton Mon 19-Oct-15 13:46:01

I went on the waltzers before I found I was pregnant. As soon as I got off I knew, I threw up everywhere and could not stop for hours. I had to go home and lie down all day. Now even the mere thought of a tiny roundabout in the park has me wretching in my head.

No idea if it causes any damage to you or baby but for the sheer fact I went from 0-10 on the nausea scale I would not recommend it.

kali110 Mon 19-Oct-15 13:46:40

If i liked rides i'd go on anything that didn't have signs up.
Loads of people never even know they're pregnant and ride them all the time!
Even saw a story where a woman was almost due to give birth and was on them the day before( didn't know she was pregnant).
Baby was fine.

ValancyJane Mon 19-Oct-15 14:00:47

I probably would go on the smaller rides where there are no restraints, can't see an issue with that. Anything with restraints or spinning around I probably wouldn't! Not sure I'd go for the helter skelter though...

I would eat a lot of cotton candy on the basis that The Baby Wants It grin

CloudsofBrick Mon 19-Oct-15 14:04:47

Phew, glad to see some common sense here! I'm a dance teacher so I'm still going at it full force - can't see the little rides being much worse that that. I'll miss the waltzers and the twister though....

leedy Mon 19-Oct-15 14:15:26

Yes, the rides generally specify if they're not suitable for preggoes - I was in the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen when I was pregnant with DS1 and was able to go on the ferris wheel and other more gentle attractions.

Notasinglefuckwasgiven Mon 19-Oct-15 14:15:35

My mum went on the waltzer when 7 months pregnant with me. She claims she told the man running it she wasn't pregnant just fat and he was rude to presume grin things were different then I guess.....I'm fine so the little rides will be ok I'd imagine.

HerRoyalNotness Mon 19-Oct-15 14:18:17

Rides have the risk of causing placental abruption, hence the signs.

Totally up to you if you go in the kiddie rides

Goldmandra Mon 19-Oct-15 14:22:24

The gentle rides for younger children can't create more G-force than a car journey.

YANBU

CloudsofBrick Mon 19-Oct-15 14:28:00

Yeah, as for the signs thing, it's a travelling fair so I very much doubt they'll have health and safety signs for expectant mums - I'll use my common sense!

Thanks for all the replies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now