Talk

Advanced search

Thermomix is overpriced

(21 Posts)
Marue Mon 19-Oct-15 13:20:49

I quite want one, I'm just imagining getting home chucking stuff in and having soup in 10-15 mins all ready.

However they are over a grand and you have to have a demo before you buy. If they were 300 odd I'd be sold and buy one now.

Are they really worth that much? Is there any cheaper alternatives?

I would just feel a bit of a mug spending that much on something I'd use mainly to make soup. Overpriced right?

Welshcake77 Mon 19-Oct-15 13:29:09

I don't have one (and its not something I would want to spend that much money on!) but just wanted to say that both Aldi and Lidl have brought out their own versions here in Germany for €199...might be worth googling to see if they will be selling them in the UK too.

LadyCassandra Mon 19-Oct-15 13:31:02

I want one angry
I live in Aus and they are $2089 here and I can't justify it no matter which way I do the maths!

Tftpoo Mon 19-Oct-15 13:43:22

We have one (was bought as present for DH by MIL who is like a one-woman sales team for Thermomix). They are useful for a few things (soup, cheese sauce) but we rarely use it and it just sits on the side taking up space most of the time. Every time MIL comes round she says "you know it can grind wheat, don't you?" - errr yes, but why would I want to grind my own wheat when I can by a decent loaf from tesco? Everything that comes out of it seems to have the same texture (or rather, total lack of texture). Good for baby food but otherwise, I'd just stick to a regular blender. Red Kitchen Aid on the other hand....drool...

Rugbycomet Mon 19-Oct-15 14:00:31

I love food and cooking and I was desperate for one too. We had the demo and frankly felt that it would take the enjoyment out of cooking. The price is high and I don't think worth it, hence we didn't get one! It was meant to be last years Xmas pressie from DH and he was a keen as me about getting one. However I think he was secretly pleased that I decided not to go ahead.

Reenskar Mon 19-Oct-15 14:07:22

It is a v expensive piece of kit. We have one (wedding gift from mum who was a demonstrator). It is fab and will make your life easier if you truly love cooking and intend to use it. Don't get it if you're only going to make soup! Get a vitamix or a soup maker.

I have a family and study full time. I use it almost every day to make things like soups, bolognese, risotto (12 mins to perfect risotto and no stirring!), pizza dough, bread, scones, sauces ( perfect white/hollondaise/cheese/beurre blanc sauce), curry (you can grind and toast spices make paste and cook whole thing in it), chicken kebabs....I wouldn't be without it. BUT I couldn't have afforded it myself and couldn't justify it unless I had cash to spare. I think they have a payment plan across 6 months now.

If you like dinner parties it makes it really easy to do loads of otherwise v ambitious recipes. At this time of year I love making jam too...super quick!

So I'd say if you can afford it and you will be sure you will actually use it, go for it! Otherwise save the money and go on holiday instead ??

DoveCazzoEIlMioCaffe Mon 19-Oct-15 14:07:37

What IS it with you and soup?

Therewasanoldladywho Mon 19-Oct-15 14:11:48

A thousand pounds???!! Insanity!

Yabu

Unreasonablebetty Mon 19-Oct-15 14:17:20

My neighbour has one.
She cooks perfect rice in hers!
You can make everything in it, including gelato! It's a wicked bit of kit, and it could save you so much time, but is £1000 really affordable for what you want to use it for?

KoalaDownUnder Mon 19-Oct-15 14:36:26

I think they are horrendously overpriced, yes.

Enthusiasts bang on about how they cook 'everything'. Well, no they don't. They can't do a lasagna or stir-fry without intervention, can they?

I seem to hear a lot about things like gelato, dips and soups. hmm Mushy, blended stuff.

I dunno. I know I would not get value for money out of one, but if you've got a grand to burn...

Tarzanlovesgaby Mon 19-Oct-15 14:43:31

ime people who have one are a bit like the brainwashed forever living people.
my sister and mother have it and swear by it. and try to convince me to get one.
but I don't see the point of it for me, my style of baking and cooking.
anything it can do I can do better with traditional kitchen tools that I already have .

SistersOfPercy Mon 19-Oct-15 14:45:55

I'm sure the newspaper that shan't be mentioned did a comparison with the aldi version earlier this year and it failed miserably against the thermomix.

SistersOfPercy Mon 19-Oct-15 14:48:40

Apologies it was the lidl version

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3069830/Can-Lidl-s-179-Master-Cuisine-925-TM5-Thermomix-can.html

Marue Mon 19-Oct-15 15:12:52

Ooh there is a lidl one!

Doesn't look like it failed, it wasn't as good but for 80% less I'd say that is winning. Still lidl deals are annoying, could be a year or never until its back again

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 19-Oct-15 16:29:42

I got one for Christmas last year. I hate it with a passion and only really use it for steaming things. I've never tried soups in it, but I don't think it chops or purees well at all so I doubt I will bother as it would be a pain having to take it all out and use a liquidiser in small batches.

Didactylos Mon 19-Oct-15 16:39:00

It sounds a bit boring: I like messing about and experimenting, that's how Ive become a confident cook.
I hate pureed textures though so may be biased

SistersOfPercy Mon 19-Oct-15 16:41:26

To be fair Marue I skimmed the article as it was a DM one. I'd heard so much about Thermomix at the time I googled and that came up.
Not for me though. DH almost had to be revived when I bought a KMix, I think a Thermomix would finish him. grin

Marue Mon 19-Oct-15 18:12:02

A kmix, goes off to google

Sounds like lots aren't that impressed with a it

SistersOfPercy Mon 19-Oct-15 19:34:06

I luffs my kmix. The kids are thoroughly aware I'd save it over them in a fire haha grin

PatrickJaneIsRedJohn Mon 19-Oct-15 19:53:14

This is not a good thread to read when you've only today placed your order for one sad

Marue Tue 20-Oct-15 09:42:55

Sorry hun I'm sure your get on great with it, most people do and they last a lifetime so even steaming once a week would probably be worth it flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now