Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not slow below the speed limit when going past a speed camera

(30 Posts)
Marue Mon 19-Oct-15 08:10:53

This happens all the time at a camera near me, its obviously 40 with signs near the speed camera saying so. But still people slow down to 20-28mph and create a bit of a queue. I've never been caught by one, so when its clear I just maintain my speed at about 42 mph as I know my speedo over reads by this. Its just wasting time a fuel for everyone by having to slow down there.

They are being silly right?

MythicalKings Mon 19-Oct-15 08:12:19

YANBU. But I think a lot of drivers just instinctively brake when they see a camera.

Slugonthewindow Mon 19-Oct-15 08:13:52

I hate it on the dual carriage way when I gave cruise control on at 70 so remain at one speed... Folk race last me, pull in, step on their breaks and slow down to 60-65 through the camera then speed away again. It boils my piss.

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 19-Oct-15 08:14:16

I've been caught twice so I am an excessive slower downer. I think it's panic especially on roads I'm not familiar with. Both times I was doing 37 just entering a 30mph zone. And I mean just entering.

Marue Mon 19-Oct-15 08:16:19

Oh cruise control (stealth boastgrin) that would be very annoying. Does cc slow down these days when you get too near to the car in front?

Flambola Mon 19-Oct-15 08:17:28

YANBU. I hate it when I'm doing the speed limit then the numpty in front sees a camera and brakes, for no reason. I think these people must be regular speed readers to do it so much.

Flambola Mon 19-Oct-15 08:18:01

Speeders, not speed readers. hmm

Marue Mon 19-Oct-15 08:18:28

I've been caught twice so I am an excessive slower downer

That does kind of conflict.. But surely if you saw a sign that said 40 why would you slow to way below 40?

Osmiornica Mon 19-Oct-15 08:19:04

People slow down that much because they obviously don't know the speed limit around there so assume it's 30mph. Either that's because the limit isn't clear or they're crap drivers who aren't paying attention.

Slugonthewindow Mon 19-Oct-15 08:19:47

Sorry, wasn't trying to stealth boast, my car isn't fancy! All I mean is I do 70 all the time and hate drivers that drive really fast then really slow so you end up playing cat and mouse for miles on end.

And no, if I didn't brake, I'd smash up their rear ends!!

wonkylegs Mon 19-Oct-15 08:20:24

I have no problem with you doing that it annoys me too but have huge problems with those who still do 70 on our road (it's a 30) because it's well known in our area that the cameras don't fine only record the speed. Last time they published the figures 40% of cars were going over 40mph. 70mph was recorded on a Saturday lunchtime. It's a long straight residential road which is apparently great for putting your foot down on. So fed up of being told there is nothing they can do about speeding except record the problem. Are they waiting for a serious accident before they do anything meaningful! Grrrr rant over!

Marue Mon 19-Oct-15 08:23:27

Oh slug I was joking, I'm not into cars but I do kind of like technology so get envious of others with all this stuff. In my friends car last week and the seetbelt tugged me as she drove and when reversing a camera and video screen showed guide lines! I don't even have the bleepers. Still I wouldn't pay 40k for a car

Marue Mon 19-Oct-15 08:25:02

70 on a 30?!?! Surely that's lose you licence immediately? They should set up a sting

ShootTheMoon Mon 19-Oct-15 08:26:48

YANBU. It drives me nuts. I can only assume that people are completely unaware of the speed limit and just slow down in a panic.

If traffic is steady though, even one person breaking excessively means that others have to slow down too, to maintain a safe gap. So it may only be one car in a long chain affecting everyone else.

I don't speed ever either (I may very occasionally get it wrong but I am always trying to see the speed signs). I have never had points or set off a camera. But then, I used to work in court and saw enough entitled idiot drivers to last a lifetime.

bearleftmonkeyright Mon 19-Oct-15 10:48:01

I just kind of think, I need to slow down. So if its 40 I will probably slow to below 40 but no less than 35. I don't have cruise control. I am 45 and have been driving for a long time, over 20 years. But the two incidences have been in the space of a year, both on different unfamiliar roads. So I'm worried about it happening again.

Collaborate Mon 19-Oct-15 10:53:59

YANBU. It's drivers who haven't taken the trouble to know what the speed limit is, or who don't know what the national speed limit sign actually means.

There's a dual carriageway near me that has a NSL sign. The amount of cars that slow down to 60 (which would be the limit on a single carriageway road) is really annoying. And yes, they're often the ones who have just overtaken me exceeding the speed limit.

NumbBlaseCold Mon 19-Oct-15 11:08:51

Some of the new top of range cars do now have smart technology to slow the car down if you get too close.

Or they beep at you until you back off.

And if the front car slows down, the rest will have to one by one anyway.

It is annoying.

They are being silly and it shows they are not paying attention to the road.

ShamefulUsername Mon 19-Oct-15 11:16:16

Yanbu. I think half the problem is that people don't know what the nsl is, I travel along a particular road most days and constantly see people slow down to 50 for the camera, the limit is 70 ffs!

ShamefulUsername Mon 19-Oct-15 11:18:11

Sorry Collaborate missed your post there blush

Collaborate Mon 19-Oct-15 12:11:11

Not paying attention shameful wink

Collaborate Mon 19-Oct-15 12:12:04

Though slowing down to 50 in a 70? That take a serious muppet to do that.

Maybe they want to smile for the camera?

pigsDOfly Mon 19-Oct-15 12:23:23

It is ridiculous and annoying but speed limits are sometimes at odds with what you would expect.

I frequently travel on a duel carriageway that goes for miles with a speed limit of 50. Every so often it will change to nsl and then go back to 50. Have no idea why, it's just a straight non residential road, but it must be a bit confusing if you don't know the road. Having said that very few drivers stick to the 50 limit.

lovelyupnorth Mon 19-Oct-15 12:26:25

don't forget thought NSL for vans on Dual and single carriageways is slower (60/50)

but it boils my piss also and the ones i the average speed cameras who speed up in between the camereas and then slow again for the camera - i'm guessing they don't understand the concept of "average"

and don't get me started on middle lane hoggers - last night on the m6 near manchester 4 clear lanes and bloke stat in lane 3 - pull into the driving lane ffs.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 19-Oct-15 12:28:56

wonkylegs you need to get a group of your villagers together and apply to become a Speedwatch group. We're doing it in our village. I'm not sure if you approach the police direct or the town council but we got funding from our parish council to pay for the hi-viz wear and the speed gun. We had a couple of policemen come out and give us a demonstration on how to use the gun and what information to record on the paperwork and once we've sorted out what times everybody can do we're good to go.

It was quite funny on our practice session. You could quite clearly see all the traffic slowing down once they spotted us. They'd come roaring round the far bend and suddenly be crawling along. It really works! We also heard from someone living up the road that drivers were flashing other drivers as they came into the village. As long as they're coming in nice and bloody slow they can flash who they like.

claraschu Mon 19-Oct-15 12:32:15

Speed cameras just make me feel like I have done something wrong, teeny tiny bit of panic for no reason. I get the same feeling when I see a police car. I don't want to jinx myself or I might mention that I don't know why I have a guilty conscience when I have never got a speeding ticket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now