Talk

Advanced search

Creases ironed into a shirt sleeve - non-U?

(71 Posts)
OwlFeathersFluff Sun 18-Oct-15 18:15:22

DH maintains shirt creases are fine and everyone at work has them. I maintain he's wrong!

Which one of us is right?

usual Sun 18-Oct-15 18:19:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kimlo Sun 18-Oct-15 18:21:31

How do you iron them with out a crease?

I read on here that blouses shouldnt have a crease but mens shirts should. But i dont know how you would do it with out a crease so the dds school shorts still have them.

Bunbaker Sun 18-Oct-15 18:25:04

You need a sleeve board to avoid creases in sleeves.

I used to have one, but life is too short.

TheExMotherInLaw Sun 18-Oct-15 18:26:18

Formal shirts should have a crease.
Anything else you can get to dry and be presentable without having to iron - fine.

nilbyname Sun 18-Oct-15 18:26:36

Non u?

AnemonesCloser Sun 18-Oct-15 18:27:53

Mitford's don't iron their own clothes. That's where you're going wrong OP.

usual Sun 18-Oct-15 18:28:33

nilbyname Sun 18-Oct-15 18:31:53

Oh my goodness, as in non upper class? How completely ridiculous. op if that really is your burning question, then you'd best send said shirts out for ironing professionally.

AyeAmarok Sun 18-Oct-15 18:38:22

Christ, is this all you have to worry about?

Nobody will give a fiddler's fuck about the crease in your DH's shirt sleeves.

HTH.

I'm minded of that expression "You'd worry a lot less about what people thought of you if you realised how seldom they did".

Tummyclutter Sun 18-Oct-15 18:38:51

Creases just look WRONG. I manage to do them without a sleeve board.
Just turn sleeve so the seam is halfway, then press. Turn normally and press both sides. As long as you avoid the place where the crease (I can hardly bear even saying the word) would be, you will be perfectly turned out.

I can't stand them in trousers either.

Am I a weird?

Tummyclutter Sun 18-Oct-15 18:41:35

But Aye, I actually would mind.

I would think your DH had a wife who didn't care! Even if you have a 'lady that does', you, as his wife, should make sure he is perfectly turned out.

NarcyCow Sun 18-Oct-15 18:43:50

My mother used to iron creases into jeans.

AyeAmarok Sun 18-Oct-15 18:44:35

biscuit

usual Sun 18-Oct-15 18:44:49

AnemonesCloser Sun 18-Oct-15 18:45:16

I imagine the kind of people who iron creases in their jeans would be horrified to be forced to eat a slice of pizza without a knife and fork. grin

BabyGanoush Sun 18-Oct-15 18:46:46

But you ARE non-u OP

So what is the point?

AnnaMarlowe Sun 18-Oct-15 18:47:09

Oh dear lord, I'll need to hide my phone - finally someone who agrees with my DH that shirt sleeves shouldn't have creases.

Ironing then without creases is a complete pain in the neck and takes twice as long.

We have come to a happy compromise, if he doesn't want creases, he irons his own shirts.

Works well for me. grin

nagynolonger Sun 18-Oct-15 18:47:38

Of course shirts should have a crease in them. It's the newspaper that should be crease free.

vindscreenviper Sun 18-Oct-15 18:47:43

I would think your DH had a wife who didn't care! Even if you have a 'lady that does', you, as his wife, should make sure he is perfectly turned out.

gringringringrin

AnemonesCloser Sun 18-Oct-15 18:47:48

Maybe she's dictating her posts to her parlour maid

MrPorky Sun 18-Oct-15 18:48:19

I had an uncle (until my aunt divorced him!) who insisted shirts shouldn't have creases. Never occurred to me that itxwas a class thing.

Dh, ex army, is very particular about creases and don't most of the rules about appearance in the army originate with the upper class?

SilentlyScreamingAgain Sun 18-Oct-15 18:48:48

Sleeve creases are not allowed in the forces, well not in the Air Force but I think you should let him iron his shirt any way he pleases.

reni2 Sun 18-Oct-15 18:51:47

The maid puts sharp creases in everything, including socks and knickers, what can you do grin.

wasonthelist Sun 18-Oct-15 18:52:33

I have heard of this - but I have also chosen to ignore it for many years - that is interesting about the forces though.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now