Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Renting probs. Airbnb instead?

(12 Posts)
Sazzle41 Sat 17-Oct-15 18:57:18

Posted here for traffic/need some calm wisdom quickly. So I am being evicted as Landlord wants rent increase & wont meet me halfway. Other agents will only let to me if i pay year rent up front due to 4yr old CCJ. (they go back 6yrs credit check wise). House shares i have seen are grim/age of current tenants made me feel like their granny/they want massive deposit.

Airbnb has rather en suite rooms in 'naice' local big houses for 7days a week, only one or two other professionals, mostly 30+ when i enquired. Charge is what my rent is now, no bills on top, no deposit, rent week to week ok or monthly for discount.

I am a bit panic stricken so not sure I am being logical. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a solution? What should I beware of? I figured do this, save up for a years rent then try for own place in a year when i have saved and agents will overlook CCJ for all that £ up front....

FishWithABicycle Sat 17-Oct-15 19:08:04

It's not a bad plan, but with no contract you don't have eviction protection either so it's massively insecure. Still, there are worse ideas.

Petallic Sat 17-Oct-15 19:14:10

What will you do with all your belongings? If you can live out of few bags then it might be doable. Are there a few to choose from? Presumably people who rent through airbnb want short term rentals so you are likely to be moving often.

Sazzle41 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:12:16

I found a storage place with huge discounts for longer bookings for my stuff.(1bed flat so not huge amount). And the two places i saw locally on Airbnb responded very positively when i asked re 6months bookings. So I could maybe only move once in a year then have enough rent to offer an Agent upfront to overlook the CCJ. They were so much nicer than the shares - 6people in a tiny converted terrace is the norm!

Sazzle41 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:15:17

I mean the Airbnb ones were nicer, huge old houses, owner away or working most of time and huge en suite rooms. I would feel so claustrophobic in the shares i saw. All tiny terraces with even ground floor rooms made into bedrooms. Grim.

jay55 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:17:44

You have zero protection. They could take your money and kick you out after a week.

FishWithABicycle Sat 17-Oct-15 20:22:06

Be careful of believing the prices that storage places advertise. They have nice low headline storage costs but only when you are signing up do they tell you that there is mandatory insurance that costs an arm and a leg on top of that.

Sazzle41 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:38:30

OMG - mandatory insurance? No mention of that in quote they sent! Aargh...now i am emailing friend with garage he doesnt use. (wonders if will end up staying in garage).

FishWithABicycle Sun 18-Oct-15 08:02:18

This was Big Yellow storage company.
I don't know whether the practice is the same at other competitors.

Marue Sun 18-Oct-15 08:11:59

Hun have you looked into property guardian schemes?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 18-Oct-15 08:19:13

Airbnb hosts can't take your money and kick you out. Well they could but Airbnb would intervene and provide you with somewhere else to stay. Long term Airbnb rentals are paid by the month so if it didn't work out you could leave after making one month payment and if you had to leave because the house wasn't as advertised/unsafe Airbnb would refund you.
Airbnb is a great idea, lots of people use it this way.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 18-Oct-15 08:19:47

Oh yeah and you should be able to find a lockable garage to rent on gumtree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now