Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you to boycott businesses (for example Giraffe) who thrust Christmas down our throats too early?

(44 Posts)
Mintyy Sat 17-Oct-15 18:53:04

smile

Went to Giraffe this week. Not a lot of choice about where to eat as we had theatre tickets and only about 50 minutes for dinner, but I nearly walked out of there when I saw the bloody Christmas tree in the foyer!!

Who else can I boycott for too much cynical Christmas graspery?

DrDreReturns Sat 17-Oct-15 18:55:25

Just seen an advert for Disney Land Paris. "Don't you wish Christmas could start earlier?" err No!!!
I don't want to hear about Christmas until the start of advent.

Mintyy Sat 17-Oct-15 18:56:44

Right.

Giraffe
Disneyland Paris

Oysterbabe Sat 17-Oct-15 18:57:08

They normally just have it there with a flier about booking Christmas parties. We've already booked our work party so probably not entirely unreasonable.

HermioneWeasley Sat 17-Oct-15 18:58:22

YABVVU. Christmas can't start too early for me - I start planning in the summer!

cardibach Sat 17-Oct-15 19:27:03

Keep Christmas in December!

MardyBra Sat 17-Oct-15 19:29:22

I can sort of understand the Disneyland one as people might want to book now for a pre-Christmas break. But no business should have a Christmas tree in mid October. YANBU.

trollkonor Sat 17-Oct-15 19:31:10

People organising office Christmas meals have to book earlier than December. I was in a different chain last week and the had a Christmas tree out with the Christmas menu fliers on it.

TheLambShankRedemption Sat 17-Oct-15 19:31:37

Whist I don't really mind Christmas stuff on the shelves at this time of year (not jeffing August though), having a Christmas tree up in October is taking the Michael.

YANBU.

NewLife4Me Sat 17-Oct-15 19:33:18

Christmas is in December and always will be.
However, some people like/have to prepare early so YABVU

YakTriangle Sat 17-Oct-15 19:34:01

Frankie and Bennys near me have a baubley shrub near their doors advertising that they're taking bookings for Xmas dinners, does that count?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 17-Oct-15 19:35:05

Ooh no, I love Christmas, the earlier the better.

I need to pay them a visit.

MsJamieFraser Sat 17-Oct-15 19:38:41

I couldn't care either way tbh, yes they have xmas stuff in the shops, however with most things in life you can choose to ignore them.

Id rather boycott nestle, amazon, BP and a few others.

museumum Sat 17-Oct-15 19:42:09

Argos had a tree up today.

EarlyNewDawn Sat 17-Oct-15 19:52:08

I love the build up! Almost as much as the day itself. For me, Christmas is over at the end of the 26th.

I will admit, I would prefer to get hallowe'en and bonfire night over with... But from the 7th November, I can't get enough Christmas!

LBOCS2 Sat 17-Oct-15 19:54:50

Tree up in Mothercare today too.

ouryve Sat 17-Oct-15 19:55:46

That would be every single shop, then?

DickDewy Sat 17-Oct-15 19:57:55

I went to Matalan today and it was like Christmas had thrown up in there.

LovelyBranches Sat 17-Oct-15 19:59:04

You can ask but I enjoy the run up and need about 4 pay days to prepare!

The Disney advert says "Everyone wishes Christmas would start earlier" - and I growl "No I bloody don't!"

RoseWithoutAThorn Sat 17-Oct-15 20:04:18

I hide from the shops from Oct. I do all my shopping online or send DH. The run up to Christmas at school starts for me next week as we start rehearsals for the nativities and shows. By the time I've sung Christmas songs 100x, hosted a Christmas Carol coffee morning with 450 kids, attended 3 Christmas Discos and done church 3 times in one day by the time school breaks up I'm already Christmassed out. December is manic enough without trees appearing in October!

monkeymamma Sat 17-Oct-15 20:10:35

I think yab massively u. Retail companies make something like 80 per cent of their profits in the final three weekends of the year. Without profits these companies wouldn't exist. This is just how capitalism works.

I love Christmas and usually start preparing in September. But my youngest decided to be massively overdue and arrive in the middle of December. I read somewhere that you have to ignore Xmas altogether until they've had their birthday (no tree up until afterwards, so it doesn't appear in birthday pics, for example) so I'm determined to make myself wait this year. It won't be easy though!

Sirzy Sat 17-Oct-15 20:12:25

Normally in restaurants that's part of the "book your Christmas meal" display so yabu

Mintyy Sat 17-Oct-15 20:18:39

I actually work for a company who supply Christmas trees to businesses including some of the poshest shops in London. Most want them for the last weekend in November/first weekend in December kind of time, which is fine by me.

Mid October is unnecessary.

I don't for one moment believe that shops will take less money if they wait until December 1st to put their Christmas decorations up.

Notoedike Sat 17-Oct-15 20:23:43

Not bothered - just ignore it....dcs have been trained not to mention Xmas till Dec - I hate the thought of it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now