Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To say men playing video games is childish?

(441 Posts)
PampersNotPampered Fri 16-Oct-15 13:21:35

My DP is the most wonderful person, and the video games don't annoy me to an extent of anger, but they do raise my eyebrow a lot.

DP is only 22 but I think this is still too old to be playing games, although I understand men more than twice his age do. I once asked DP ''aren't you a little old for those?" And his reply was a very calm 'no, it's a stress reliever and my boss plays it too' (his boss is 44 with a wife and 2 DCs).

What cringes me out the most is him swearing and talking to other players over the zombie games etc, who are mores often that not less than half his age or not much older than half his age! Yes, really.

I understand that I'm lucky he's the type to ask 'do you want me to come off this?' And often I just say no darling. This is because I can get on with other things. Even I ask him to come off, he will and you wouldn't have known he even liked playing because he acts so normal once he's off.

My DP is a 'normal' bloke in all aspects apart from the silly video games. I just wish he'd stick to fishing instead lol.

AIBU to say grown men playing video games is a little bit eye brow raising worthy? I understand it is a stress buster, and perhaps I'm just a moody cow and need to be put in my place by fellow MNetters.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Fri 16-Oct-15 13:23:20

I'm a 30 year old woman and I love video games.
I'm in all sorts or leagues,clans and guilds.

Why is it less worthy then other hobbies?

PolShelby Fri 16-Oct-15 13:24:04

YABU

Is it ok for women to play video games too?

RealHuman Fri 16-Oct-15 13:24:22

YABU. He is considerate and checks with you that it's okay for him to be playing, it doesn't affect the way he behaves afterwards - what's the problem?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 16-Oct-15 13:24:48

Yabu.

JustAWeeProblem Fri 16-Oct-15 13:25:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PampersNotPampered Fri 16-Oct-15 13:25:17

It's not the video game itself, but the type of video game. They seem too young for his age.

I'm only asking because I have friends who've spoken out and said they themselves wouldn't feel comfortable with their partners playing video games.

TillITookAnArrowToTheKnee Fri 16-Oct-15 13:25:49

biscuit

FattyNinjaOwl Fri 16-Oct-15 13:25:55

Yabu. What's abnormal about it?
I'm 24 and play video games. My DP is 26 and plays too. Nothing wrong with if.

trollkonor Fri 16-Oct-15 13:26:08

Video?? confused

PampersNotPampered Fri 16-Oct-15 13:26:29

What unnerves me the most is him speaking with children over the games intercoms. Very odd, even though it's strictly only ever game related chat or 'where you from'

JustAWeeProblem Fri 16-Oct-15 13:26:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheWitTank Fri 16-Oct-15 13:26:33

My DH is 36 and loves his computer games. He rarely gets to play them as he works 70 hours a week in a managerial position, but sometimes it's just the stress relief he needs. He sits down and doesn't have to think about the real word for half an hour. I do the same with books. He is the least childish person I know!

DollyMcDolly Fri 16-Oct-15 13:27:13

If it was just for kids then there would me no 18 rated games. Games have moved on. I quite like gaming though I don't do it as much anymore. It's a hobby.

RealHuman Fri 16-Oct-15 13:27:45

I suppose if he were reading thrillers or horror novels you'd steer him towards Jane Austen or something? wink

Seriously, it's not like he's playing Skylanders or something. It's escapism. Entertainment.

hesterton Fri 16-Oct-15 13:28:17

My dh likes Clash of Clans. He's middle aged. I simply do not understand it. But I merrily mumsnet for hours. He thinks that's weird.

Each to their own.

Starspread Fri 16-Oct-15 13:28:46

Why are there so many games (quite rightly) rated 18+ if it weren't a pretty widespread adult hobby?

I am counting down the days to the release of the next instalment of my favourite game, and I'm in my thirties.

NewLife4Me Fri 16-Oct-15 13:28:48

YANBU but it's a different age thing I think, although I have come across people as old as me, late 40's doing it.
I suppose young people today have grown up with these type of toys and carried it on.
The gaming industry realised that grown ups played to and have marketed for them as well.
I think it's pathetic but my dh has only ever played a handful of times when our children were young.
Our dc are grown up now 24 and 20. Only the 20 year old has a console, the 24 yr old grew out of it.

Gruntfuttock Fri 16-Oct-15 13:28:49

MY husband is 69 and plays video games. I think it's perfectly fine. He's entitled to do what he wants in his own home. YABVU.

PampersNotPampered Fri 16-Oct-15 13:28:52

Until a few years ago I use to love playing Mario bros in my DS, which is fine. It's the mixture of the type of game and the fact he's talking with children that is off with me. Sometimes he speaks quite harshly to them and I do not like it, he'll have his own 10 year old in less than 10 years!

FattyNinjaOwl Fri 16-Oct-15 13:28:54

I play Minecraft.... So does my 6 yo.

Hotpatootietimewarp Fri 16-Oct-15 13:33:57

I play PS 3 and DH has a PS4 it was actually him that introduced me to games properly (did have a PS1 when I was younger). I enjoy it we play co op games and I play assassins creed, in fact I wouldn't like to guess how many hours I've invested in those games, beautiful graphics and brilliant story lines

RealHuman Fri 16-Oct-15 13:35:34

If other parents are letting their children play violent zombie-shooting games with open online play where people will trashtalk and chat, that's their lookout.

ValancyJane Fri 16-Oct-15 13:36:31

YABU, there are far worse things he could be doing. My DP (29) plays computer games, and I really don't mind. If he was doing them at the expense of everything else and not spending time with me, then that would be an issue and I wouldn't be happy with that situation. But an hour or two a night while I watch trashy telly and do my own hobbies, after we've eaten dinner together, chatted about our days and watched something on TV together usually... I really can't see the issue at all.

PampersNotPampered Fri 16-Oct-15 13:37:56

RealHuman, yes I don't agree with the parents decision to let their children play those games but at the same time this is MY DP and I'd hate to think of him intimidating meer children. I wouldn't want our baby being spoken to like that, video games or no video games.

I just find it odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now