Talk

Advanced search

To ask about your weirdest Christmas (lighthearted)

(78 Posts)
SorryCantBeArsed Wed 14-Oct-15 19:17:17

Had this conversation at work today and got me wondering about other peoples. Mine is... A good few years ago I was invited to spend Christmas with friends, my then ih

Arkkorox Wed 14-Oct-15 19:22:40

I love that your name is SorryCantBeArsed then followed with half a post grin

EnterNicknameHere Wed 14-Oct-15 19:23:56

gringrin

Seeyounearertime Wed 14-Oct-15 19:26:30

I also remember that Christmas where we......

Tootsiepops Wed 14-Oct-15 19:28:19

I remember one Christmas we went...

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 14-Oct-15 19:28:33

And the one where my dad got so drunk that he...

MrsTedCrilly Wed 14-Oct-15 19:29:03

Lol! grin

My weirdest one was 15 years ago when we fancied a change from crimble dinner. My mum bought us a ready to eat curry from Morrisons grin All the trimmings! We haven't done it since.

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 14-Oct-15 19:31:53

I can't even think of a possible word beginning with ih.

SorryCantBeArsed Wed 14-Oct-15 19:32:40

Oops! My then OH was working abroad at the time so the invite was for just me. I arrived late morning armed with gifts wine and some food. The husband answers the door wishes me happy Christmas gives me champagne and tells me his wife is in the shower. N half an hour later the son gets up and is really hungover
Their daughter and boyfriend arrive but still no wife. Eventually she appears still in her dressing gown and is fairly drunk.
The day got gradually worse when the daughter acussed her mum of flirting with her boyfriend so they left I kept offering to help cook but she wouldn't hear of it. By the time the Turkey was done my friend so so plastered she could hardly stand. Her husband refused to carve it so she threw it on the floor and stormed off. I spent the evening cleaning up with him while she and the son were flat out in the living room floor! I couldn't drive home as I was over the limit so was stuck until the following morning, it had been arranged for me to stay the night anyway. The two of us ended up having to carry both the wife and son upstairs to bed and we had cheese on toast for tea! I couldn't wait to leave!
They split up in the new year strangely enough. hmm

SorryCantBeArsed Wed 14-Oct-15 19:33:54

Sorry blush

morecoffeethanhuman Wed 14-Oct-15 20:28:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

morecoffeethanhuman Wed 14-Oct-15 20:31:21

Lol was posting on regards to the half post! Phone didn't load rest of the page!

Paulrn Wed 14-Oct-15 20:40:06

Does new year count, at the Millenium I could not drink in case I had to go to work to counter the Millenium bug that never appeared so at midnight I found myself in a strange house surrounded by pissed pensioners with a greyhound lying asleep and farting on the floor. To add to this joy Flannegan and Allen was the music of choice. At midnight fireworks were set of and the greyhound roused from his deep sleep shot upright and pissed on my foot. I organise new year now.

travailtotravel Wed 14-Oct-15 20:48:29

Paulurn - memorable at least?

I've had a few as I used to go away every year - now DH and I do one year at home, one year travelling.

It will take a lot to beat an all day drive in 35 degree heat, and arriving at the camp location to find it on fire.

We were staying in the grounds of a school, using the football pitch. Around us, as flames licked through the fields, we carefully pitched our tents studiously ignoring the loo block which was accessible if you were up for walking a narrow path through the flames.

We arrived later than planned, and it threw off our plans to cook so for Xmas dinner had cold tuna out of a tin with raw red onion a( a gift that keeps on giving) with stale bread and Laughing Cow cheese. Followed by a Christmas cake. Washed down with warm stout.

The following morning we woke bright and early to a group of children and villagers standing in front our tents singing us a welcome song.

Gotta love adventure travel.

Bambambini Wed 14-Oct-15 20:59:52

Christmas Eve in Manger Square Bethlemhem for the mass and just general merriment. Then off to a club in Jerusalem. Hung over on Christmas morning. Off to the cinema to see The Bodygurd (total bunkum) and soggy sandwiches for Christmas Dinner. 'twas fab. The next year Christmas Day dinner was eaten in a bomb shelter.

SistersOfPercy Wed 14-Oct-15 23:18:54

The millennium was memorable here. Dh, myself and both kids came down with proper flu the day after boxing day. I remember new years eve being curled up on the sofa with one kid, dh on the other sofa with the other kid and we were just out of it despite the street party outside.

Aside from that I was rushed into hospital one Christmas morning as a child and put straight into isolation. My only contact with my mum was through a glass window. I cried a lot but it was the 70s and the done thing. Couldnt even have my new toys. After that experience even putting up with the in-laws wasn't so bad.

attheendoftheday Thu 15-Oct-15 00:29:42

Last year I was working and one of the patients set fire to the ward. There's nothing like evacuating 20 unwell and generally pissed off to be in hospital over xmas people to a cold and rainy courtyard. It was miserable (and I was stinkingly pissed off).

A few years before while working on new years eve a nasty diarrhoea went around. It was horrific, I honestly wished I had my wellies.

DawnOfTheDoggers Thu 15-Oct-15 01:03:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Thu 15-Oct-15 04:54:53

The year my pfb turned 1 in the November, he and I lived in a manky bedsit. My XH had done his very best to try and fix it so that nobody would help me, or babysit, or do anything to assist me at all, and my parents were convinced that I was "crackers" and would soon "see sense" and go back to XH and had bought him presents etc... confused
On Christmas morning, the lady over the road (God Bless her and keep her, she was an Angel) sent her husband over with a mountain of "spare" food - "she cooked too much and didn't want it to go to waste and would we PLEASE eat it" and at the bottom of the bag was a beautifully wrapped gift for pfb and a £20 note.
Later that day, I had to deliver pfb to my XMiL and her entire family were there and all gave me the Glad Eye - I swear, if looks could have killed...
I went home in tears, and found my dear friend on the doorstep, with drink and cake and a gift for me and pfb, and he kept me sane.
That night, about 6 of us from the bedsits all got together and sang and drank and played silly games - we were all "misfits and dregs" but we kept each other company and none of us were alone, and it was, if not "good" then OK.

buddhasbelly Thu 15-Oct-15 05:36:26

Mine's quite sweet...was nearly 10 years ago

I was working in China at the time in a Western franchise hotel but in a v remote area that was busy for the gas and oil trade (and also many terrorist attacks sad)

It got to xmas morning and I was having coco pops (they shipped them in at £10/box) which I never usually had as they were so expensive to ship.

My best friend to this day, an Egyptian who was the deputy General Manager (GM) approx 20 years my senior was asking me why I was so forlon and I said (at 18 years old) that I missed my tradition of Christmas morning with french toast, smoked salmon, bacon, bucks fizz, general unhealthiness..

My best friend called the other Chinese GM came over to our table (hotel was dead; my contract meant we ate in guest areas) and he had no concept of why Christmas was important. But he listened to my story of how Christmas morning used to be in my parents' household, then there was an emergency and he had to leave.

Approx 15 minutes later there appears a mass of all the things listed cooked by the signature chef - the Chinese GM's emergency turned out to be that he had no idea what french toast/eggy bread was and had to search the internet so it could be cooked right.

I'll never forget that Christmas and the kindness I received from those that had never celebrated Christmas before.

lunar1 Thu 15-Oct-15 05:42:46

Where is that Christmas thread about the acorn throwing and bum slap dance when you need it...

PomBearWithAnOFRS Thu 15-Oct-15 06:04:03

Awwww buddhas that is so sweet grin
I am grinning like a loon picturing people who'd never heard of it Googling "eggy bread" grin

Samwelly Thu 15-Oct-15 06:48:25

Bhudda, that's brought a tear to my eye! That's something you would never forget smile

SorryCantBeArsed Thu 15-Oct-15 07:25:31

PomBear your neighbour sounds fantastic, it's lovely to hear that people can be so kind smile

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 15-Oct-15 07:43:01

I had mumps for Christmas when I was 6...

Some of the others sound awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now