Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be fed up of people using my drive as a car park for the shop opposite?

(180 Posts)
SweetTeaVodka Wed 14-Oct-15 18:07:03

I live in a terrace directly opposite the a local convenience store of a larger national supermarket. The shop has a large car park directly behind it and a bus stop directly out front. We have people park on our often empty drive to pop across to the shop on occasion (happens once or twice a month), and more often to pull up along the dropped curb.

The parking along the dropped curb doesn't really bother me, but the driving right up onto our driveway does. Especially in the evening/dark rainy days when my whole lounge is lit up by their bloody lights. Poor DD gets excited because she thinks one of her grandparents or aunts has come to visit, and my anxiety disorder means I get a bit on edge in case it's guests I'm not expecting.

Today it has been pissing it down all evening. Three times this afternoon we have had people stop on our drive and go across to Tesco, the third lot was a carful of very noisy young people (typing that makes me feel old) who looked quite taken aback when I opened my front door and informed them that they seemed to have mistaken my drive for the shop car park (I was very wound up by this point and did swear a bit).

I don't think it actually saves much time or saves them from getting that wet when you account for the amount of time you generally have to spent waiting to be able to safely cross the road to the shop, compared to walking round from the car park at the back to the front.

AIBU to a) think it's actually quite rude to park on someone's driveway if you are not a resident or visitor of the property;

b) complain at the people who do this;

and c) considering blocking my drive with plastic cones and a passive aggressive sign and/or complaining to the shop manager about their customers

I accept that I may be U to get so riled by this and it is probably due to my anxiety issues, but I am home alone with toddler DD until DH gets home from work this evening and I needed to vent.

ThreeRuddyTubs Wed 14-Oct-15 18:09:08

Nope Yarburgh!

ThreeRuddyTubs Wed 14-Oct-15 18:09:27

Wtf auto correct yanbu

Crabbitface Wed 14-Oct-15 18:11:49

YANBU

I'd go fecking bonkers if folk just started parking in my drive.

Yes you should tell folk who do this that this is your home and not a car parl and it is not ok for them to park there.

I would speak to your local authority about putting a no stopping marking on the pavement along the front of your drive. My DILs live near a shop and people didn't often park right infront of the drive but close enough to make their exit unsafe and the council happily came out and just put a white line on the pavement.

RochelleGoyle Wed 14-Oct-15 18:15:23

YANBU, it would infuriate me too. Maybe a stupid question but is there any chance you could install a gate to stop people driving into your drive?

Cloppysow Wed 14-Oct-15 18:19:05

Yarburgh! The new yanbu.

TheCatsMother99 Wed 14-Oct-15 18:19:06

I'd go apeshit if people parked on my drive to go to the supermarket!

Chilledmonkeybrains Wed 14-Oct-15 18:24:19

Sweet Jesus, I can't believe people do this! Who does that!

YANBU in the slightest.

TalkinPeece Wed 14-Oct-15 18:27:02

YANBU
You need some nice big traffic cones or penguin bollards

or even better some nice, low, sharp rocks so that they trash the bottoms of their cars when they pull onto your drive

or a chain scross the drive with a private sign on it

SweetTeaVodka Wed 14-Oct-15 18:31:48

I'm actually quite relieved to hear that my rage is justified - every time I confront someone they seem so shocked I had begun to doubt myself!

Rochelle, our drive only has a wall along one side, the other side is open to our neighbours drive - she never has this problem because her car only seems to leave her drive for half an hour every morning.

Also, banging my head at taking pains at the start of the post to not name the chain of supermarket and then doing so later in the same post. Ah well, for anyone who knows where I live it was probably really identifiable anyway.

SweetTeaVodka Wed 14-Oct-15 18:32:23

FFS, it's just happened again!

Twickerhun Wed 14-Oct-15 18:35:48

How often do you use your own drive? Can you get a large pot and plant to go in the middle that you move when you have visitors?

Kym134 Wed 14-Oct-15 18:37:10

We also live across from a tesco express that has a car park and people do this to us too. Usually DH parks the car right up to the edge of the drive otherwise they still drive in if he parks near the back!

KitKatCustard Wed 14-Oct-15 18:39:04

Yanbu!
Charge them £60 or whatever the going rate for clamping is. Without the clamping.

Berylpeep Wed 14-Oct-15 18:40:37

I would go bananas if people did this to me.

My ex used to have a similar problem - his solution was to place a massive stone in the driveway - he was a builder and it used to take all his strength to dump it there but no one used to park there when the stone was there!

Andrewofgg Wed 14-Oct-15 18:42:01

Chain it off.

knickernicker Wed 14-Oct-15 18:44:21

Get a parking post from barriers direct. You can still do that in middle of your side of the drive.

ToadsforJustice Wed 14-Oct-15 18:45:00

Yarburgh. I become incandescent with rage if anyone parks on my drive I'm looking at you next door neighbour.

TalkinPeece Wed 14-Oct-15 18:45:46

Speak to Tesco. Point out that you will have works done to your drive and send them the bill.

foolssilver Wed 14-Oct-15 18:46:24

Yanbu! How annoying. Can you move your car down to the end of your drive way so blocking people from coming into it?

DoreenLethal Wed 14-Oct-15 18:46:44

Yarburgh - I would have put something in the way by now. People do it on my allotment plot and that's bad enough.

Georgethesecond Wed 14-Oct-15 18:48:15

Yes, just hang a chain across or put one cone on the drive in the middle. If that doesn't work consider the more expensive options - gates, posts and so on.

FishWithABicycle Wed 14-Oct-15 18:48:27

Yanbu.
You need a penguin bollard (see previous mn posts x many)

LittleRedSparke Wed 14-Oct-15 18:48:50

Complain to the supermarket on twitter and loudly on social media

TheExMotherInLaw Wed 14-Oct-15 18:50:33

Tweet at Tesco about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now