To ask for suggestions that really work

(18 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 13-Oct-15 14:36:03

To stop a 2 1/2 year old from coughing?
Is there anything?
Please sad

ouryve Tue 13-Oct-15 14:37:21

It depends what's causing the cough. Snotty or dry?

Pointlessfan Tue 13-Oct-15 14:37:40

Have you tried steam? I run the shower on hot and take DD into the bathroom to breathe the steam (don't let her near the hot water obviously).

BreeVDKamp Tue 13-Oct-15 14:38:04

Apparently Vicks on the feet works. Not sure how thick you're meant to apply it, then put socks over. That might only work at night time though!

flowers

LeChien Tue 13-Oct-15 14:39:59

During the day or at night?
Ds2 has asthma but it manifests as a cough.
So for him, the things that helped are inhalers.
If it's viral, things like propping the bed up so he/she isn't lying flat can help.
Vicks vaporub on feet and socks on can help.
A nurse once told me to make dd honey and lemon with a spoon of brandy in it, it worked, but it was several years ago now and probably frowned on now! She did have a very convincing reason behind it, but I can't remember now.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 13-Oct-15 15:46:34

Seems constant at the moment.

Vicks on the feet helped at night, but isn't helping much now.

She is strapped in her carseat, likes her nap there!

Snotty nose, but mostly dry cough.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 13-Oct-15 15:50:31

Lachien

As a teen, a had a similar thing. My neighbour made me some lovely hot honey and lemon. With a good serving half a bottle of vodka in. Worked a treat!

Marcipex Tue 13-Oct-15 16:32:31

If it's constant it could easily be asthma, so get it checked out.

green18 Tue 13-Oct-15 17:04:14

How long has she had it?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 13-Oct-15 17:06:40

Asthma is a possibility as her dad has asthma.

Had it a week or so. The aftermath of a cold...

GloGirl Tue 13-Oct-15 17:09:50

Milk and honey drink at bedtime, then a hot bath, Snuffle Babe on her chest and back (milder version of Vicks)

Maybe a wet flannel on her radiator and wap the heating on for an hour after she goes to bed.

Ring gp tomorrow

green18 Tue 13-Oct-15 17:10:52

I wouldn't worry too much as that's quite recent. Coughs can linger after a cold has cleared up. If she is otherwise well i'd wait and if it's still there after a month i'd get it checked out.

ToInfinity Tue 13-Oct-15 17:25:07

Cold mist humidifier. Worked a treat with my DS!

Callaird Tue 13-Oct-15 17:27:23

My 2 years old charge doesn't have asthma but he gets a viral wheeze when he has a bad cough/cold, which makes him cough more, he has ventolin to take of his wheeze gets bad. Had to go to A&E back in April because we couldn't get it under control. Go to the doctors to get it checked out. Most doctors will humour you with a toddler!!

Purplepoodle Tue 13-Oct-15 18:59:16

Cold mist humidifier. Whip it out when all dc have cold. Used it myself when pregnant and congested.

Paintedhandprints Tue 13-Oct-15 19:04:26

Damp flannel or towel on radiator in bedroom. Raise head slightly by putting towel under mattress. (only works if she doesn't roll around in bed)

DoJo Tue 13-Oct-15 20:14:20

Humidifier, vicks on chest (and feet if you're so inclined) and olbas oil on a muslin under the pillow. Try and keep her head elevated (you can put tins of tuna or similar under the legs of the bed if she moves around a lot in her sleep) and make sure she has water within easy reach for if she wakes up. Can you tell that we have this every time my son (or me really) gets ill? He perks up, feels better and then coughs for Britain for a week or so just to let us all know that he's really over it!

Milkand2sugarsplease Tue 13-Oct-15 20:26:03

My DS has ended up on Montelukast to help his overnight cough. He got a cough cold thing back in early August and ended up with an inhaler, then steroids and then antiBs when it went on his chest. He is still waking in the night with it but the montelukast has cut down the number of times he's up with it now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now