Talk

Advanced search

to be horrified that people may know I've viewed their Facebook page?

(349 Posts)
icouldjusteatacroissant Mon 12-Oct-15 14:05:47

Facebook deny it, but there's massive talk on the net that if you look at someone's page, you pop up on their suggested list or people you may know list. Maybe not straight away, but you do appear at some point

Am I the only one who looks at their ex's or whoevers pages, photos, etc?

I am horrified they may know I've been snooping shock

RoganJosh Mon 12-Oct-15 14:07:05

There are usually some other friends in common, so they'd just presume that was the reason for the suggestion? That's what I tell myself.

IKnowIAmButWhatAreYou Mon 12-Oct-15 14:08:45

You'll also pop up in the suggestions for anyone you've ever emailed from the email address you log in with

And you may even get suggestions for people that they've emailed.

Wouldn't worry about it too much TBH, just block them & they'll never see you (but you'd then have to give up your peeking at them)....

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Mon 12-Oct-15 14:09:06

<sigh> It's not true. It never has been true.

Just because you read something on the internet, it doesn't mean its true. And just because a lot of people have also been gullible convinced, doesn't make it any more true either.

And if you're that bothered about being caught snooping (which you aren't) then don't snoop. hmm

Spartans Mon 12-Oct-15 14:09:31

That list is created using the information that comes from your own page. People who are friends with your friends, where you live, pages you like, groups your in, schools you went to, uni, jobs, events you go to.

So even if it's true, if you pop up in the recommended friends list it could be for any of the above reasons. How would your ex (for example) know that you are on the list because you looked at their profile rather than because you have something or someone in common.

BerylStreep Mon 12-Oct-15 14:09:48

I thought everyone knew this. If I want to do any covert snooping looking, I always use my DH's profile as we have different surnames and no-one would have any idea who he is.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 12-Oct-15 14:10:18

It's absolutely not true. I can promise you that.

Pootles2010 Mon 12-Oct-15 14:10:28

No i don't think its true - can't see why on earth FB would want to do that. It would just put people off using their service, surely?

coconutpie Mon 12-Oct-15 14:10:39

YABU. This is a completely false rumour - it has been said numerous times that a person cannot see who has looked at their profile.

AndLeavesthatweregreenturnedto Mon 12-Oct-15 14:12:42

there is a thread on here a few days ago, its true.

someone said they worked on a case on totally random family and this woman popped up on fb friends thing they had no links except this case.

Yes op, I am totally mortified. Yes.

NotTodaySatan Mon 12-Oct-15 14:13:05

What Constance said.

The hysteria on MN over something that is obviously not true is making me question the alleged average intelligence of it's users.

Headagainstwall Mon 12-Oct-15 14:17:11

I sat with my MIL and set up a FB account for her so she could access an online course she was about to start. She was adamant she didn't want any 'friends' just access to the course material. As soon as I had set up her profile she got 2 friend requests, one of them from me, even tho I had definitely not sent her one & wasn't even logged in at the time.

FB does some dodgy things.

Egosumquisum Mon 12-Oct-15 14:18:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spartans Mon 12-Oct-15 14:18:54

andleaves but why would the ex (in this instance) know that's why she popped up. Surely the assumption would be that they have something or someone in common.

Also just because some said it on mn, that doesn't make it true either. That poster could have been lying because they enjoy winding people up.

tldr Mon 12-Oct-15 14:24:39

FB says categorically it's not true. Why would they say that if it was true?

Answer: they wouldn't. Because they'd get sued.

U2HasTheEdge Mon 12-Oct-15 14:26:06

This again!

It's not true, as Constance said.

And even if it was it wouldn't bother me. So what if an ex know I've searched for him? If they didn't want people to snoop they would close their page to the public.

noblegiraffe Mon 12-Oct-15 14:28:53

On the other thread one Mnetter deliberately snooped on another Mnetter's page who was a complete stranger. They still haven't appeared on their people you might know list.

bodenbiscuit Mon 12-Oct-15 14:29:57

I think there is some truth in it but since there are other factors like check ins, pages you like and mutual friends. As well as people whose numbers you have they could never know for sure so I wouldn't worry.

muttonjeffmum Mon 12-Oct-15 14:30:28

I was wondering about this. My landlord came up as a suggested friend. We have no mutual friends, no interests in common. There is no reason what so ever he should come up. I'm sure he had been snooping. I've never searched for him. It's the sort of thing he would do.

HorseyCool Mon 12-Oct-15 14:31:16

It doesn't bother me if anyone wants to look at me on FB, I choose what I put on there and what my privacy settings are, I feel that anyone else's is fair game to me too. FB have been very specific about this as there were Spam "Apps" claiming to show you who has viewed your profile, FB said that they would never allow this to happen.

LinkedIn however is a different kettle of fish, people can see who has viewed them so if I am snooping I change my settings to anonymous.

AndLeavesthatweregreenturnedto Mon 12-Oct-15 14:31:27

Also just because some said it on mn, that doesn't make it true either. That poster could have been lying because they enjoy winding people up

I am clinging on this small hope grin ^

MySordidCakeSecret Mon 12-Oct-15 14:31:34

in the bigger picture of everything... does it reall matter? is it worth getting worried about for more than 20 seconds?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 12-Oct-15 14:35:05

muttonjeff have you got your landlord's number stored in your phone by any chance? Or ever emailed him?

RoganJosh Mon 12-Oct-15 14:35:16

mutton what if either you or your landlord have each other's mobile number in your contacts in your phone? FB could suggest a person based on that.

RoganJosh Mon 12-Oct-15 14:35:34

Ha, cross post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now