We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Leaving things 'to soak'

(51 Posts)
MrsCorbyn Tue 29-Sep-15 09:31:51

A roasting dish might need a little time to soak before washing up. Perhaps a pan where food has been allowed to burn. But a plate!!? A saucepan you boiled pasta in? A sodding tea cup??!

These things will not benefit from being left on cooling water for a sodding day because someone is too bloody lazy to just wash things up as they go. Just wash it up you lazy bastards and then PUT THINGS AWAY!!!!

AIBU?

HaydeeofMonteCristo Tue 29-Sep-15 09:32:54

Yanbu.

MrsCorbyn Tue 29-Sep-15 09:33:28

Left in*

SlightlyAshamed1 Tue 29-Sep-15 09:33:29

Is this the woman that is giving you grief in the shared house?

MsVestibule Tue 29-Sep-15 09:33:48

I think this is covered in your other thread about your annoying flat mate?

EnjoyTheSimpleThingsInLife Tue 29-Sep-15 09:33:52

YANBU. My dp does this, it drives me mad!

afreshstartplease Tue 29-Sep-15 09:34:08

Yanbu

However I am a lazy bastard who does this sad

ShebaShimmyShake Tue 29-Sep-15 09:35:24

Is this your pig of a housemate?

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 29-Sep-15 09:36:11

Yanbu.

I have one who leaves things to "drain" too. usually when there's lots of other stuff that needs washing up. yet when by half ten it's not done and I need the stuff to pack the lunches in so start to finish it all off, I'm the one who hasn't given him a chance to do it hmm

MrsCorbyn Tue 29-Sep-15 09:36:20

Yes it is but also by the boys who are usually decent and will after 24 hours then wash up. It's something I've seen in all every shared house I've lived in though so not just about devil troll.

Maybe I'm the problem and have to high standards of kitchen decency? Starting to wonder.

MrsCorbyn Tue 29-Sep-15 09:37:21

Too * . Christ, the horrors are now affecting my grammar sad

Vintagebeads Tue 29-Sep-15 09:37:48

Yanbu Mil take note,poor fil is always the victim of her leaving this to soak

Vintagebeads Tue 29-Sep-15 09:38:23

Things to soak ffs!

reni2 Tue 29-Sep-15 09:54:25

I do this because I'm a shit multi-tasker. I will start the washing up, scrub scrub- won't come off. Oh well, let it soak, I'll just write a couple of pages and then put on the laundry, realise we need milk, off I pop to get it, come back, start helping a child with home work, finish the paper I was working on. Let's make dinner then- where is the blue saucepan, I thought I'd done the washing up- oh, hang on...

Could this be what's happening?

DurhamDurham Tue 29-Sep-15 09:59:13

As soon as dinner is over husband washes the dishes and I dry them.......then our evening starts. I can't relax if there are things in the sink, it ruins my enjoyment when I'm trying to Mumsnet or watch GBBO smile

MuttonDressedAsGoose Tue 29-Sep-15 10:02:23

My husband does this. A roast pan full of drippings doesn't "soak" - at least not after the water has cooled.

Chala86 Tue 29-Sep-15 10:02:45

YANBU - DP and I have a housemate that does this and it drives me dotty. Surely easier to just wash it but nope, he'd rather leave something that doesn't need soaking sitting on the side full of water.

ExplodingCarrots Tue 29-Sep-15 10:04:21

Yanbu

Mil does this except these things are left 'to soak' for days hmm

PurpleDaisies Tue 29-Sep-15 10:05:58

This is one of the arguments I have with my dh. He leaves things in the cold dirty washing up water which reeks in the morning. I'm not opposed to soaking if the worst sort has been removed and it is left in really hot clean water with washing up liquid in it, but that isn't what happens. Drives me nuts.

RonniePickering Tue 29-Sep-15 10:06:39

YANBU. DP does it. Fucking idle.

PurpleDaisies Tue 29-Sep-15 10:06:42

Dirt not sort above.

grumpysquash Tue 29-Sep-15 10:09:43

My PIL always, always, put about a centimetre of cold water in their mugs after they've finished a cup of tea. Then leave them on the counter for ever.
We have a dishwasher, they just won't use it sad

CanIBeTimmythedog Tue 29-Sep-15 10:12:06

Oh Lord, YANBU. MIL washes dishes from the whole day in the same greasy, cold water than she ran for her breakfast dishes. Ick.
Leaving a roasting pan for example to soak in some hot, clean water with liquid in is very different from slinging a saucepan in a sink full of cold, dirty water.

Jeffreythegiraffe Tue 29-Sep-15 10:12:17

My dh does this, leaves things to soak, forever.

BoffinMum Tue 29-Sep-15 10:15:22

I think you should email Jeremy Corbyn about this and get him to raise it at PMQ. I know half of Britain wants an answer to this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now