Is this ride?

(15 Posts)
cariadthebaird Fri 25-Sep-15 07:12:48

My driving instructor booked a lesson with me at 7 this morn. It's my eighth lesson. I've always been on time to the others, not cancelled and v flexible when he changes time at the last min or is up to 15 min late.

I was sick at half 6 this morn so texted him to let him know at about quarter to and apologise. My text was polite but maybe a but incoherent cos of the time of morning. I apologised for short notice and he replied saying he'd seen it in time. Nothing else. I then wrote phew or something similar and he made a comment as to how it was tight timing, no get well etc

Is it just me or this is a bit rude???

I'm pretty sure she will charge as that is policy

cariadthebaird Fri 25-Sep-15 07:13:39

I couldn't really have texted much earlier and this is the first time it has happened

cariadthebaird Fri 25-Sep-15 07:14:27

FFS thread title should read "*IS THIS RUDE*", unintentional driving pun!!!!

NickNacks Fri 25-Sep-15 07:15:18

Is it rude that your driving instructor didn't say 'get well soon'?

No.

cariadthebaird Fri 25-Sep-15 07:15:56

No nicknacks, sorry I meant is it rude that he was so terse in his reply

definiteissues Fri 25-Sep-15 07:17:48

Doesn't sound rude to me really.

Sirzy Fri 25-Sep-15 07:19:05

I don't think it's rude.

I know it was unavoidable but if I had got up to do a lesson so early and it was cancelled I would be a bit pissed off.

NickNacks Fri 25-Sep-15 07:19:47

Still not rude.

GloriaHotcakes Fri 25-Sep-15 07:23:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cariadthebaird Fri 25-Sep-15 07:23:03

Ok perhaps I'm being unfair. The 7am was at his request (I'm free all day!!) and the last time we had one he was 15 min late. Perhaps that is colouring my view. Just thought he could have been a bit kinder given that I normally/always cut him some slack and he will probably be charging anyway

Oysterbabe Fri 25-Sep-15 07:23:07

No I don't think it is, he's a driving instructor not a friend.

cariadthebaird Fri 25-Sep-15 07:24:00

Ok unanimous Aibu <slinks off in corner> I accept my fate guys

ALittleFaith Fri 25-Sep-15 07:28:11

I had a boss like this, I called in sick a couple of times and it was always When do you think you'll be back? Let me know ASAP. Bye. I always felt a bit hmm especially when one time I ended up being admitted to hospital! So while it's not essential for him to say Get Well soon, it does seem abrupt not to!

cariadthebaird Fri 25-Sep-15 07:33:29

That's annoying of your boss alittle! I think it's just the principle isn't it, you've always been polite and fair to them so wish they would give you the benefit of the diubt

Cornettoninja Fri 25-Sep-15 07:47:03

I think texts/emails have to be taken at face value and imho your driving instructor was just to the point and factual. Not rude to keep it purely factual in a professional or business context, nobody is obliged to add 'fluff' for want of a better word.

Any written communication is read in your own voice so you have to be careful of adding emphasis or tone that is completely your own frame of mind. By that I mean you cancelled (quite reasonably btw) but cancelling usually makes people feel bad and expect an annoyed response = you reading anything but the most overtly transparently scripted response with a tone your bracing yourself for, intended or not.

Hope you feel better soon though flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now