Talk

Advanced search

To not tell anyone I'm learning to drive?

(5 Posts)
EduCated Thu 24-Sep-15 16:02:53

I have decided it's time to buy the bullet and start having driving lessons agains. I recently got a new job which I can reach on public transport, but I am wary of bus routes changing/being unreliable and whatnot, and basically just want a backup plan.

But I started learning to drive years ago age 17, and failed my test. Repeatedly. To the point that it is now a massive deal and I hate hate hate talking about driving and driving tests. Mainly because people just cannot help giving advice and suggestions and telling me what I need to do hmm

In a moment of madness I booked my theory test and am looking at driving instructors, but I really don't want to tell anyone, including my lovely DP. I just want to do it without any fuss whatsoever.

Would I be massively unreasonable not to tell my DP? He would be nothing but supportive, but I just don't want to. Would you be really pissed off if you were him?

PersonalClown Thu 24-Sep-15 16:05:25

I haven't told many people because I don't want the unsolicited advice either.

Hell, DP doesn't even know that my practical test is in 3 weeks. I just want to do with it without anyone else's pressure.

Do what you feel is right for you.

BrianButterfield Thu 24-Sep-15 16:08:07

I did the same in the same situation, except DH did know. I didn't tell anyone else though and they all thought it was very sensible of me when I finally passed and told everyone. Took all the pressure off. DH didn't make any well-meaning comments or give me suggestions so that was Ok.

MaxPepsi Thu 24-Sep-15 16:12:24

Good luck.

I 're-learnt' to drive in my 30's after failing when I was 17. People knew but as my DH is a very capable driver and used to drive fire engines I didn't get any advice from anyone although I'm sure they were itching to dish it out.

I didn't tell anyone except DH when I had my practical test however, I just posted on FB that I had passed!

You do what is right for you, but I probably would tell your DP - he's going to notice your not in the house and the extra expenditure surely?

If people do give you advice - just tell them that things have massively changed since they took their test - they have, and that you are fine with your qualified instructor thanks!

Having said that - I will give one piece. When you book your test, go for an early morning slot - can't go very far or do much in rush hour traffic wink

EduCated Thu 24-Sep-15 17:53:53

I'm definitely not telling anyone else! I just want to keep it totally secret, but it feels wrong to hide something, especially something that feels so big (for me, anyway!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now