We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To hate September

(43 Posts)
Blackcloudsbrightsky Mon 21-Sep-15 06:58:16

Never liked it.

It's generally cold in the morning and night, hot in the day so you don't know what to wear.

DH is moody about his 40th looming and says September birthdays are shit because you are always the first to get old!

The nights are drawing in at a terrifying pace.

But the main thing about it is it lasts forever - is this just me?? It was DHs birthday last week and it seems like YEARS have passed. It's always like this - September every year lasts forever.

I was wondering if it is just me!

CheerfulYank Mon 21-Sep-15 07:02:47

"Wake me up, when September ends..." grin

I'm not a huge fan either. I do like that DS goes back to school after a long three months off, but it's a hard adjustment. And yes, it's chilly in the morning but often in the 80s (think that's 26-27 your temp) in the afternoon and I never know what to wear. I prefer it to be around 50 (10c) and I know I'll need a cardigan all day.

October, I love! smile

Blackcloudsbrightsky Mon 21-Sep-15 07:05:06

The end of October is OK - beginning is too similar to September! I quite like dark nights though. Wouldn't want them all year but there is something nice and cosy about them!

November is my birthday and I am going to be 34 which I'm not looking forward to. It sounds old. Then I am Scrooge and CBA with Christmas!

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 21-Sep-15 07:15:15

I love September, i like the feel of the cold mornings, clean air after a muggy summer.

FantasticRik Mon 21-Sep-15 07:43:39

YABU.

September is great - for some of the reasons you dislike it. Darker nights but still warm during the day.

Leaves beginning to turn orange, feeling it's ok to make 'winter' dinners like Cottage Pie, Stews etc, plus starting to feel like the run up to Christmas.

September - December is possibly my favourite time of year.

March can feck off though.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 21-Sep-15 07:47:55

September is great! The dcs go back to school.

There are apples on trees
The leaves change colours and fall ready for scrunching
The ridiculous summer heat calms down

January is a bit of a bummer month, with all the autumn activites finished.

Notpretending Mon 21-Sep-15 07:50:20

I have never liked September either. It's my least favourite month of the year.

Blackcloudsbrightsky Mon 21-Sep-15 07:53:41

I love March!

Early blossom and daffodils and lambs and Easter eggs!

There is no way on gods green earth it feels like the run up to Christmas in September!

No! No matter what the shops say!

The80sweregreat Mon 21-Sep-15 07:56:22

I like september, but so many people say they hate it and horrible things happen too ( beaverment etc) have heard that a lot in the past. Not sure why.
January is the month i dislike more than the others!

CoffeeAndOranges Mon 21-Sep-15 07:59:03

OP, I have an early March birthday and that's pretty crap too - it's so dark and cold, everywhere is grey. I love winter but by march I'm ready for spring and it's still so grey and muddy looking fir ages.

I love September though - warm (not too hot), blackberries to pick, the anticipation of crisp autumn days ahead, garden stops growing faster than we can cut it back and it's usually when we take our hols (don't have kids yet, pg so won't be in thrall to school terms for a few years yet). I love that morning chill, too. Very refreshing. But I am a bit cold-blooded!

Euphemia Mon 21-Sep-15 08:03:47

February's the worst. Christmas is long past, the Easter hols are a long way off, there's still a high risk of snow making my journey to work hellish, it's still dark all the time.

ilovesooty Mon 21-Sep-15 08:04:34

Not keen because it ushers in October. I loathe October to January with a passion. I could quite happily settle for a world where we only had March to August. I don't like winter and I hate Halloween, bonfire night and Christmas. I can't stand dark nights and mornings or snow either.

Euphemia Mon 21-Sep-15 08:04:53

Oh but YABU about birthdays. Consider the alternative.

ilovesooty Mon 21-Sep-15 08:08:30

My birthday is in January. It's miserable. It's also before anyone gets paid after the longest month in the year with no cash coming in so no one can afford to go out. I'd love a summer birthday.

IRuthBolirsUhbniuzsDH Mon 21-Sep-15 08:09:14

I must admit I dislike it too, but only because of the obligations...the weather is generally, genuinely beautiful and the light is lovely too.

The sad thing is we can't just be out in the countryside appreciating it with no traffic or school or dark mornings - if I could I'd let the children lie in till the sun came up. Ds has to get the bus at about 7am and I don't like him going out in the dark, he is only 12 and there are some undesirable types about.

And everyone seems to have a cold already. And I always hated the back to school thing, because I hated school and seeing the hundreds of poor little kids who also really hate it, makes me so sorry for them. Obviously some really like school, but the ones who don't? What a depressing life.

EatDessertFirst Mon 21-Sep-15 08:09:48

YANBU. September feels like a 'meh' month. The weather can't make up its mind, and its an expensive month because we have seven family birthdays in the first two weeks of October, including our two DC.

The only good thing is the DC are back at school after a hectic summer.

Mid-October onwards is my favourite time of year. Until Januay, when it all 'meh' again!

Blackcloudsbrightsky Mon 21-Sep-15 08:13:50

We timed our planned child so she WOULDN'T have a September birthday, so strong are DHs feelings on this matter!

MegBusset Mon 21-Sep-15 08:18:11

Yabu - September is a fab month. Amazing light, warm days (the DC were on the beach in just their pants on Saturday), cosy nights, and wearing tights and boots for lovely walks.

Blackcloudsbrightsky Mon 21-Sep-15 08:19:14

This is exactly the problem I have with September!

If it's warm enough to be on the beach in just pants then it is TOO warm for tights and boots!

It is like having summer and winter in one month; I hate it!

HoneyDragon Mon 21-Sep-15 08:22:47

January is the worst month. Fucking awful weather, tax bills due, pay days ages away and dh always gets the GLOOM by analysing everything bad that happened the previous year and projects it for the forthcoming yearwhich pervades around the house like a sinister fog of misery. This usually starts off midday on the 1st of Jan and absurd around mid February hmm

Rafflesway Mon 21-Sep-15 08:25:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blackcloudsbrightsky Mon 21-Sep-15 08:25:46

Mine is the same in September!

I quite like January. Christmas is over and spring is sort of sniffing around (my favourite season!) A few early lambs, some brave snowdrops coming out, days--very slowly-- getting lighter.

I LOVE mid February right through to June smile

ClusterFuckUp Mon 21-Sep-15 08:26:01

I hate September. Reason? Spiders. angry

Jux Mon 21-Sep-15 08:32:57

September would be OK if we'd had a decent August, but we haven't.

U2HasTheEdge Mon 21-Sep-15 08:33:26

September is shit

Kids go back to school so that means school run, routines, money for uniform and all that crap. Plus they always seem to get colds in Sept. I now have a rotten virus which I put down to Sept grin

Don't like Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb, March much either to be fair. March is slightly better than the rest but only slightly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now