Talk

Advanced search

I feel IWBU in this situation, but how could I have avoided it?

(35 Posts)
Everyangleisyourbestangle Sun 20-Sep-15 16:39:45

We Recently sold my home, and am buying a brand new 5 bed property, it's absolutely beautiful, and our dream home. After a crappy few years, it's something to really be thankful about. At football this morning one of the other mummies asked how the move was going, and if she could see the house on Rightmove. I obligated her, and a few other mummies joined in having a nose (all fine, don't mind) on the touchline. Another mom came over and joined us pleasantly, then got a bit snidey and basically said, that we were lucky to afford it, but its not nice to be rubbing peoples faces in it. I was a bit shocked as I certainly wasn't showing off, just factually answering someones questions and showing the house on my phone after I'd been requested to. Waas there anyway I could of handled this differently?

NuckyS Sun 20-Sep-15 16:41:36

You could have told her to f- off.

Other than that oversight you handled it perfectly fine ;)

ilovesooty Sun 20-Sep-15 16:41:47

I don't see how you were being unreasonable.

You should have told her where to go.

Narp Sun 20-Sep-15 16:42:28

No. She was being chippy. Coming over to nose and then objecting to what she'd seen was rude and silly.

I don't think you could have handled this differently

Elllicam Sun 20-Sep-15 16:42:54

I don't think you were unreasonable, they asked to see it. The nasty mum was unreasonable in being bitchy but was probably jealous. That's not your problem though smile

fastdaytears Sun 20-Sep-15 16:43:20

Did the first mum say anything? Surely she could have piped up with "actually I asked Every"?

Congratulations on the move. Sounds really lovely.

wowfudge Sun 20-Sep-15 16:44:35

Well you could have emailed a link to the first mum and left it at that, but tbh it sounds as though the prickly one has a chip on her shoulder. The only thing you can do now is speak to her and apologise if you upset her and explain what happened. Or just leave it and let it blow over.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 20-Sep-15 16:45:47

No, I can't see how you could have handled it differently. I'd have been tempted to tell her that you were actually being sensitive by not mentioning the second home you've also just bought in St Tropez or showing the pics of the new Bentley smile.

ilovesooty Sun 20-Sep-15 16:45:51

I don't think the OP is the one who should be apologising.

RattusRattus Sun 20-Sep-15 16:46:32

Ignore her. It's her problem not yours.

lougle Sun 20-Sep-15 16:48:03

You weren't being unreasonable. The other woman didn't have to come across and look.

UpSeeDaisies Sun 20-Sep-15 16:49:19

The only thing I can see that is unreasonable in your post is the fact you refer to other adults as mummies grin Other than that YWNBU she was!

Coconutty Sun 20-Sep-15 16:49:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FluffyMcnuffy Sun 20-Sep-15 16:50:10

Yeah that woman is a bitch. Tbh I think it depends, if it's a very expensive house then personally I would have told a little white lie and said it had been taken off right move/my phone had died but I'd email her the link (and then not).

Everyangleisyourbestangle Sun 20-Sep-15 16:53:42

Other people (not mummies, oops) had my phone, and just naturally passed it to her as she joined the group. I think I was made to feel unreasonable by her response, I kinda know I wasn't , but obviously don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable again.

ExitPursuedByABear Sun 20-Sep-15 16:56:11

Perhaps if you let us see the link we could better judge.

greenfolder Sun 20-Sep-15 16:58:26

She made herself uncomfortable and you with it. She needs to grow up. There will always be people with more than you, unless you are Richard Branson and she needs to learn the adult way to deal with this. "Lucky you" could have inherited having lost parents, for example. I don't call that lucky at all.

ScarlettDarling Sun 20-Sep-15 16:59:16

Ooh yes! Show us the house!

Sounds lovely op , she's jealous, ignore!

RachelZoe Sun 20-Sep-15 17:16:30

Chippy bitch. How nasty.

Please show us the house! I love a property nose!

Spartans Sun 20-Sep-15 17:23:46

Ywbu when you didnt speak up for yourself. Aside from that you couldn't have done anything different

TenForward82 Sun 20-Sep-15 17:24:24

She's a jealous bitch, ignore.

Everyangleisyourbestangle Sun 20-Sep-15 17:45:46

greenfolder is actually quite close.Not going to link as will out me, maybe. Let me see if I can find similar

Theycallmemellowjello Sun 20-Sep-15 17:52:48

Tbh, personally I wouldn't have shared the website in these circumstances. I would have been afraid of coming of as boastful, even if someone had asked. However, since you were asked, I don't think you did anything wrong.

greenfolder Sun 20-Sep-15 17:52:56

Well there you are then. Well done on not pointing that out to her in front of others.

Everyangleisyourbestangle Sun 20-Sep-15 17:58:26

bloorhomes.com/developments/midlands/silk-gardens/properties/osterley/plot-13 it's this company, and obviously not in this area, and bigger gardens. looking over fields. Yes, "lucky" isn't the word I'd use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now