Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to turn up looking less than glamourous...

(25 Posts)
Flabberghosted Sat 19-Sep-15 13:31:56

Going to a friends 40th birthday party tonight .

It will be held at her home and there will be quite a lot of people there .

I think everyone will be looking glam .

The issue is , AF has arrived today , I'm bloated , have painful cramps , so tired and have accompanying back ache and a "loose" digestive system too blush

I really can't be bothered to glam up - my jeans will be tighter and uncomfortable and I'll just be sitting feeling all rubbish .

I've had some ibuprofen and chocolate grin to clear the pains but I just feel yuk!

WIBU to wear some loose fitting harem type pants with a vest top and light jacket ?

Or will I look like I've made no effort ?

I don't want to have to explain why I've turned up looking like I'm just popping over for a cuppa hmm

pigsDOfly Sat 19-Sep-15 13:35:42

I take it you mean your period has started.

I can remember feeling all those awful things when I was still having periods - too old now - and yes I would never be able to wear tight clothes.

What you want to wear sounds fine.

But can you tell me what AF means please?

Flabberghosted Sat 19-Sep-15 13:38:53

Sorry AF is Aunt Flow bit of a twee expression I've heard on 'ere grin

OneDay103 Sat 19-Sep-15 13:43:28

I think you would stand out tbh. Yes AF happens to a lot of us, but life doesn't stop.
A nice looking, evening top and a decent pair of pants should be fine.
I think harem pants would look half arsed.

pigsDOfly Sat 19-Sep-15 13:45:41

Ah. Okay. Bit twee but probably better than 'the blob' that a friend of my daughter used to use. Horrible expression, thankfully they're no longer friends smile

BackforGood Sat 19-Sep-15 13:57:33

Depends what you mean by 'glam'
My definition of 'glam' wouldn't include jeans, which is what (I think?) you are saying you would have worn otherwise.
If it's 'glam', then, I'd go for a dress.
If it's a more relaxed / jean acceptable sort of vibe, then I can't see a problem with what you are suggesting.

Ultimately though, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable if everyone else were a lot smarter than I was at a 'do'.

InTheBox Sat 19-Sep-15 14:00:01

Tbh, life doesn't stop just because you're having a period. I don't think the out fit you described sounds like you've just turned up for a cup of tea but equally you would be unreasonable to not make an effort just because of your period. I'd feel quite awkward if everyone else looked the part and I didn't.

BloodyBellyJeans Sat 19-Sep-15 14:00:43

grin @ Aunt Flow did you mean Aunt Flo , flow may be more appropriate though

pandarific Sat 19-Sep-15 14:01:17

I think harem trousers with what you've described along with nice wedges or heels and a big shiny statement necklace/earrings/lipstick would look quite chic OP. Sort of the 'on my way to Monaco dahling'sort of vibe.

A statement red lip and a bit of bling makes almost anything dressy looking.

HackerFucker22 Sat 19-Sep-15 14:05:39

I don't own anything other than leggings (I don't go anywhere glamorous though!!) but agree with makeup and accessories you can add a bit of glam to a more casual outfit.

pandarific Sat 19-Sep-15 14:06:27

Like this?

Wishful80smontage Sat 19-Sep-15 14:07:37

Agree with panda's suggestion

Flabberghosted Sat 19-Sep-15 14:09:23

panda that outfit is lovely !

Unfortunately I have a very limited wardrobe and a not so limited figure ! sad

PrimalLass Sat 19-Sep-15 15:13:43

Ah. Okay. Bit twee but probably better than 'the blob' that a friend of my daughter used to use. Horrible expression, thankfully they're no longer friends

I dumped a bloke for calling it that. Tip of the iceberg.

WaggleBee Sat 19-Sep-15 16:54:50

Bloody The 'Flo' is supposed to mean flow. I haven't seen AF since I stopped going on ttc boards.

WaggleBee Sat 19-Sep-15 16:56:06

I mean I haven't seen the expression 'AF' not I haven't seen my period. God I'm too tired to make sense today. grin

DamsonInDistress Sat 19-Sep-15 18:14:40

Oooh I'm going to a fortieth party in my friends home tonight too - Britpop by any chance?! If so, I don't think it's going to be super glam tbh. I've got for a mix of nineties retro bottom half (denim mini, black tights, Chelsea boots) and a posher top! Your outfit sounds lovely x

GammonAndEgg Sat 19-Sep-15 18:51:13

I thought AnyFucker was on her way to the party. grin

InTheBox Sat 19-Sep-15 19:21:14

Christ on a pogo stick! The amount of threads I've read today which discuss here you'd think she was taking over the world! GammonAndEgg Why is this?

InTheBox Sat 19-Sep-15 19:21:31

*her

GammonAndEgg Sat 19-Sep-15 19:22:51

InTheBox, the OP wrote that AF had arrived and was feeling bloated!

Sausagesforteatime Sat 19-Sep-15 19:27:49

I do think that life goes on, with or without periods, but honestly, this is not a major job interview you are thinking of skipping because of period pain. You feel like crap, go comfy, tell your friend you are feeling under par but that you wouldn't miss her bash for the world. She will understand.

InTheBox Sat 19-Sep-15 19:29:38

GammonAndEgg AF as in Aunty Flo, her period. I posted upthread telling OP to just get on with it. I never read AF as a poster.

BloodyBellyJeans Sat 19-Sep-15 19:54:05

bee I do realise that , but you write Aunt Flo , anyway OP hope you are feeling better

anotherbloomingusername Sat 19-Sep-15 20:24:29

Ah, the Aunt Flo / Any Fucker confusion makes me giggle.

(If she wanted to take over the world, I'd probably be ok with it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now